shape
carat
color
clarity

possible impulse purchase of an EOC... please advise!

GemFever

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Dear PSers,

This is my first post on RT, I'm usually over in the CS forum. But every now and then I get bitten by the diamond bug myself :)

I've been lusting after the beautiful OECs for a while, but wasn't really planning to buy anything, when this one showed up (or is this one an OMC?). I don't feel prepared to judge whether it's a good deal or not. I would really appreciate all feedback.

It's .87ct cushiony-round stone, without any cert yet. The seller is willing to get a cert for it. The dimensions are 6.10x5.45x3.30. The seller is eyeballing it at H-I color, SI-range. Price - $1700.

I like the look of it, although the cutlet seems huuuge. Also, I was more looking for a round than a cushion... but if it's an awesome deal, maybe I should get this one regardless of the cutlet and cushion-ness? I will be almost broke afterwards, but if it's worth it...

Any advice greatly appreciated!

- Anya

1 - Copy.jpg

2 - Copy.jpg

3 - Copy.jpg

TravelingGal

Super_Ideal_Rock
To be honest, that looks neither like a cushion nor a round. It looks like a wonky old mine, and for that price, personally I would pass. I have seen a few PSer stones where they are lovely, symmetrical, and most importantly, were cheaper.

GemFever

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Thanks TravelingGal. I'm really trying to talk myself out of it I think. I mean, it is close to a carat, but... nearly a carat of wonkiness? Dunno, dunno. Just because I can afford it doesn't mean I should buy it. But... sigh! I want myself a pretty :)

GemFever

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Let me correct myself, "just because I can [barely] afford it [while going almost broke till next paycheck] doesn't mean I should buy it"

TravelingGal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Well, who knows. Others may disagree. Do you love it?

However it is not a carat. It's .87. I'm seeing a lot of diamonds closer to a carat (high 9's) if not over that people bought for quite a bit less.

It takes time and practice, but you start learning what to search for and saving searches and scanning for new stuff. Plus a lot of PSers have TONS of stuff on their watch list that they may not buy, and might be able to point you to *exactly* what you want...which is a rounder stone.

GemFever

Ideal_Rock
Trade
I think I would love it if the cutlet was just a bit smaller.

If knowledgeable people here would be willing to direct me to a rounder OEC that is above 5mm and below this price, I'd surely appreciate it :bigsmile:

I'm still open to other's opinions. Perhaps prices have gone up since people got those great deals?

But I think I am cooling off the initial impulsiveness. And getting so veery sleeepy...

TravelingGal

Super_Ideal_Rock
OK, just checking preloved...

Burk's OEC, which is a .93 and round. She's taking offers.

[URL='https://www.pricescope.com/forum/preloved-ps-jewels/just-under-a-carat-oec-bezel-pendant-t174064.html']https://www.pricescope.com/forum/preloved-ps-jewels/just-under-a-carat-oec-bezel-pendant-t174064.html[/URL]

This stone is a bit outside your budget of $1700, but dreamer would consider reasonable offers per the thread.

[URL='https://www.pricescope.com/forum/preloved-ps-jewels/0-97ct-oec-i-vs2-egl-t173769.html..']https://www.pricescope.com/forum/preloved-ps-jewels/0-97ct-oec-i-vs2-egl-t173769.html....[/URL]. It's for a .97

Those are the ones I saw on the first 3 pages of preloved. They have been coming and going from time to time as ebaying PSers look to find stones for a project and they don't work out perfectly. If you're willing to play the waiting game, you'll find what sings to you.

TravelingGal

Super_Ideal_Rock
GemFever|1334989660|3177013 said:
I think I would love it if the cutlet was just a bit smaller.

If knowledgeable people here would be willing to direct me to a rounder OEC that is above 5mm and below this price, I'd surely appreciate it :bigsmile:

I'm still open to other's opinions. Perhaps prices have gone up since people got those great deals?

But I think I am cooling off the initial impulsiveness. And getting so veery sleeepy...

Oh no, they are still out there. It just takes time and patience, and luck. And a bit of study on what to look for in listings. ::)

GemFever

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Thanks for the links and the education TGal! I think the $1700 will be safe for a little while longer :lol: Though I am going to Intergem tomorrow :Up_to_something:

I'm not necessarily looking to get something close to a carat, more like close to 5mm or a little above. Hopefully this will be less than a carat. Anyway, I guess I should educate myself a bit more, and then start a new thread here.

Thanks!

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
TravelingGal|1334988856|3177004 said:
To be honest, that looks neither like a cushion nor a round. It looks like a wonky old mine, and for that price, personally I would pass. I have seen a few PSer stones where they are lovely, symmetrical, and most importantly, were cheaper.

This. Absolutely. I wouldn't advise anyone to pay more than a thousand for that. And honestly with that much wonk, I wouldn't buy it that price on a personal level. It would have to be around 500 bucks for me to think it is a worthwhile purchase.

yennyfire

Ideal_Rock
Trade
I agree completely! I'd offer to look, but the last time I was hunting for something, I bought something totally unplanned, so I need to stay away from eBay! But if you're patient, you can find some good deals on some lovely stones.

GemFever

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Thanks everyone! I've sent the seller a message that I'll keep looking, on account of the cutlet and off-roundedness.

I guess I should spend more time in RT and try to find the good ebay shops... though I hear what you're saying Yennyfire. Gotta be careful looking at the pretties!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results