Votes: 14 31.8%
  • As the photo shows it

Votes: 14 31.8%
  • 3/4 Pave Shank

Votes: 16 36.4%

• Total voters

anners11

Rough_Rock
Hello PSers! Well I never thought that I'd be asking for help with a project like this but I'm designing my engagement ring! Thankfully my boyfriend understands my love of jewelry and has given me free reign to design my dream ring. He has made it very clear that this will be my forever ring so I need to get it right on the first try. He's an old school sentimental type which I find adorable.

I have already purchased my center stone. It's a beautiful AVR 1.53 N VVS2 with strong blue fluoro. Rose gold looks best with my skin tone and thankfully plays very nicely with the warmth of my AVR. I've always thought I wanted a solitaire but with a little twist. I have looked at thousands of settings online and came cross a photo of a ring that sold from Lange Antiques and fell in love. I have been in contact with a couple of vendors for quotes.

There are some subtle tweaks that I'm making to the design but the biggest thing is I cannot decide whether I want any pave or not. Before I found this setting I was thinking that I wanted a plain shank but seeing the diamonds on the shank now I'm not so sure. My BF likes the idea of the pave 3/4 of the way around the band. I kind of feel like the way the pave is pictured seems like it stops at a weird point but I also like how simple it is. If I do end up with pave I will stick with the fine milgrain.

8_prong_tapered_shank_profile.jpg

8_prong_tapered_scallop_basket.jpg

I think I know what wedding band I want and will be having that made in rose gold as well. It is a twist band with one strand plain rose gold and one with pave.

whirlwind_weddng_band.jpg

I know people vary and its personal preference. I'm just looking for some additional opinions and maybe I'll figure out what I want. Thanks for the help!

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Oh goodness, that is going to be SO gorgeous!!! I hope you are getting a quote from Caysie van Bebber because I think that would be right up her alley! I honestly love that so much I might be tempted to do something similar but in platinum!

Yes, I would put a little pave on the shank like the inspiration picture but not 3/4 of the way around. The thing I would change is how they squared off the pave area. I prefer that to be more of a V shape. Let me see if I can find a picture.

Okay, this is not a great example but at least maybe you can get an idea. A designer can help you work that out. I like a little pave accent and not all the way on an antique style ring like that.

aer3028-06b.jpg

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Now that I think about it, your picture has the shank tapering in at the center stone, so that idea of the pave area coming to a point probably won't work since my example had the wider part toward the stone.

I'd make sure they leave a small sizing area on the wedding band. I love that, too!

maccers

Brilliant_Rock
I like the original the best. The little bit of pave makes it more unique compared to a lot of settings. Wouldn't change a thing, I like the squared-off around the pave.

ccuheartnurse

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I voted 3/4 pave. I think tiny pave will shimmer so beautifully against the pink. Also, I find with lower coloured stones that the shimmer or sparkle does help illuminate it if that makes sense. Since the pave is on the shank & not in a halo surrounding the stone, I dont think you will notice the colour difference all that much. I have some lower coloured stones & always pair them with diamond accents.

I think your setting will be beautiful & I love the twisted band. :)

Judy

eirwen

Rough_Rock
I voted plain shank because of the wedding band design you chose. I think a plain will allow the wedding band design to stand out more.. Love the band :) how exciting a project!

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I also voted plain shank because of the color of your center stonenand the design of your wedding band.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Niel|1421931232|3820301 said:
I also voted plain shank because of the color of your center stonenand the design of your wedding band.

I voted plain shank as well for these reasons. Your AVR color will be more noticeable against the pave color so something to be aware of at least. You might like that color contrast and that is great then but just in case you might not then a plain shank is the way to go. Either way it will be beautiful but it just depends on what your preference is.

Lookinagain

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I like the plain shank best with your wedding band choice, which is gorgeous.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
eirwen|1421897977|3820236 said:
I voted plain shank because of the wedding band design you chose. I think a plain will allow the wedding band design to stand out more.. Love the band :) how exciting a project!

I think this too.

akoya

Shiny_Rock
if yr wedding band is simple, then i vote for the pics as it is
i like it this way instead of all the way covering the finger... maybe because i see too many costume jewellery with that design so i dont really find it outstanding
on a side note, the small diamonds might be a concern too. maybe choose a darker color to match the N

telephone89

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think plain. I think if you really want the wedding band to stand out, and for the rose gold to be really visibley rose, then plain will accent it the best.

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I thought a little visual might help

uploadfromtaptalk1421963205280.jpg

uploadfromtaptalk1421963214201.jpg

anners11

Rough_Rock
NIEL! Thank you so much! That's exactly what I've needed. :dance: :dance: :dance: It give me such a better idea of what they would look like! Now maybe I can make a decidision...

This is exactly why this forum rocks! Pun intended :cheeky:

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Niel, you are great with Photoshop!

After seeing the extended pave, I really think it takes away from the antique look. I'd make it similar to the original or with none. However, I don't think two or three tiny pave stones is going to be an issue with that center stone. Are you going to use single cuts? If so, I think that will make the contrast much more subtle.

Acinom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Great magic from Niel!!
I would have it created exactly like the inspiration pic and with the squared milgrain. I would indeed use single cuts.

LLJsmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
diamondseeker2006|1421988052|3820745 said:
Niel, you are great with Photoshop!

After seeing the extended pave, I really think it takes away from the antique look. I'd make it similar to the original or with none. However, I don't think two or three tiny pave stones is going to be an issue with that center stone. Are you going to use single cuts? If so, I think that will make the contrast much more subtle.

DS, yes so true!! If you extend the side pave, it makes it look a lot less antique. That is why I would choose leaving the setting as is. Then I would get a matching plain band, no stones. I would keep the focus on the e-ring.

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I remember someone doing a similar ring recently with a similar issue. They didn't want the pave to go too far down, but didn't want it to seem like an abrupt end to the diamonds. Here's how they solved the problem. The little hash marks at the end of the pave are decidedly vintage, subtle, and do a great job of breaking up the design details.

I'll admit though I still love the solitaire idea with the band you would be pairing it with .

uploadfromtaptalk1422017285380.jpg

uploadfromtaptalk1422017296825.jpg

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
maccers|1421892649|3820198 said:
I like the original the best. The little bit of pave makes it more unique compared to a lot of settings. Wouldn't change a thing, I like the squared-off around the pave.

I also like the original! It makes it look like it is from another era (I'm picturing the movie Titanic in my head). I think it would be
dreamy with a lower color AVR in rose gold.

Edit - just saw results...12, 12, 12...flip a coin!

starrylight

Shiny_Rock
I prefer this style (ignore the center stone):
setting1_5.jpg
alternate view:
setting2.jpg

The milgrain triangle serves as a transition between the pave and plain shank.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Ah, Starrylight, that was just what I was trying to show earlier but your picture is better!

creasey8

Rough_Rock
If you go with pave 3/4's of the way it will go nicely with the band that you picked.

packrat

Super_Ideal_Rock
I like it better w/the few stones in the original. I like the milgrain and how it tapers toward the top. And w/that band you posted. I like those little hash marks in the other ring Niel posted.

maccers

Brilliant_Rock
Looks like the votes are split!

As I said earlier, i like the original. I don't think anything needs to be changed, eg the end point with the hash tags or pointed-triangle tips. The reason i think it doesn't need these extras is bc your ring tapers up toward the centre stone which draws the eye upward, the lines flow that direction, if that makes sense. If you add hashes or make it pointy then it's drawing your eyes away from the centre. Just my 2 cents.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results