shape
carat
color
clarity

Pls! Help needed with choosing Beverley K setting for Assche

Miaroseengland

Rough_Rock
Hi everyone,

I have been a visitor/fan of the site for over a year now, but this is my first post.

I really need a helping hand from all you knowledgable people on here.

This may be a long one, apologies - I ramble and half the time half no idea what I'm talking about.

Ok, so I originally chose my engagement ring in 2003. I was only 20 and pretty clueless with a limited budget. (£1500)
I only really knew about shape, clarity and colour. I knew I loved Asscher cut and hailing from England there was little to no choice available to me in the shops. So I ended up purchasing a small Asscher diamond and white gold with side baguette through Diamonds Usa. Knowing what I know now, I didn't pick a typically amazing asscher diamond. Mine has a large table and shallow crown - oops. I still love my ickle (5x5mm) diamond though, for sentimental reasons.

So, last year the setting weakened and I lost a baguette. I had always wanted an upgrade on the setting, specifically a vintage style halo. This was my chance.
Well now I've saved my "pennies", I kind of need help deciding between two Beverley K - if anyone would be so kind?! I'm struggling deciding with only photos and videos to guide me.

I have already been in touch with Julian at Pearlmans and he has been wonderful. He has given suggestions which are really helpful but I kind of feel out of my depth as I'm literally going around in circles with my decisions - I need clarity. I'm 5 months pregnant and have baby brain!

The first setting is Beverley K 370
PICTURE
http://m.pearlmansjewelers.com/?url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.pearlmansjewelers.com%2Fjewelry-designers%2Fbeverley-k-jewelry%2Frings%2F98PP1%2F#2836
VIDEO
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=WvXMM4xpZH4

This was the first setting I found. It is the look I love (vintage/delicate/pave/halo with cut corners) however there are a couple of things I don't like/worry would look wrong. I worry with my diamond being small that the top/side halo will look too chunky?
Also I know structurally they need to be there but I don't particularly love the support arms holding up the halo. They look odd to me - I could live with them though. Especially as I would want to wear a wedding band flush to the ring.
Also I would want to change the prongs to double/claw prongs.
Does anyone think this setting is too much for such a little stone?

The second setting I have only recently found is lovely and seems a little more delicate.
Beverley K 9022
PHOTOS
http://shopping.schubachstore.com/Style-102054-Octagonal-Halo-Diamond-Engagement-Ring-With-Hand-Engraved-Sides
VIDEO
https://vimeo.com/43236155

What I don't really love.... The strange channel on the top inner part of the ring. Julian has said it could be done as a smooth engraved shank - sounds great but I'm clueless to what that means?!
The blank rim of metal showing on the bottom outer half of the halo. Julian has said we can request for the halo to be tilted. Which would help but again a subject I have no expertise with or what to ask for.
Also once again I would want the prongs changed.
This setting seems better "value" it comes in approx $1500 less than the first setting (both Platinum prices) which is of course before any alteration charges.

I won't lie saving a little bit of money is appealing especially with between £400-500 import/vat charges on top... But I want to make the right decision now as I can't imagine I will be able to change it again in the near future.

Also I know some people (meaning my family!) may think I'm potty spending upto/over $3000 on a setting for what is effectively a "not so great" diamond, but I really do want to keep the stone. Besides if I wanted to save for a entirely new engagement ring it would take me forever - and my ring finger is feeling extremely naked, lol.

So... These are my options. Any and all advice would be GREATLY appreciated. I have been trying to figure this out for days now and I'm still none the wiser.

Many thanks Melanie
Forgive any delayed responses - time difference will play its part/as will children ;-)

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Re: Pls! Help needed with choosing Beverley K setting for As

There are a few BK octagonal halos so it would be hard to decide! I do think they are beautiful and will really give a size boost to your asscher! I'd probably let go of the idea of double prongs on a stone that size, though.

http://www.beverleyk.com/engagement-rings/halo/r370-a-d-d-cz.html

http://www.beverleyk.com/engagement-rings/halo/r9022-a-d-d-cz.html

I would want my shank to be 1.8-2.0 mm in width, so that is something I'd ask about the rings I was considering. It appears that the 9022 is a thinner setting, so I would likely lean toward the 370.

This one looks good, too, and I imagine you could add the engraving on the sides of the shank.

http://www.beverleyk.com/engagement-rings/halo/r564-a.html

Miaroseengland

Rough_Rock

Hi Diamondseeker,
Thanks so much for the reply.

Yea I understand what you mean. I noticed the 9022 is thinner which I really like the look of but not at the expense of losing strength in the ring itself.

I never realised that the double prong would be wasted on a smaller diamond. I loved the look, but to be fair never paid attention to what size diamonds they were holding. Lol

I think I am definitely leaving towards the 370 now. So do you think if the shank is too thin, making it thicker is a alteration Beverley K should be able to make? Also do you think a thicker shank would look out of proportion?

Thanks very much this is all food for thought.
Melanie :)

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

I like the 9022 the best. The other halos look too boxy to me. The first one you posted seems rather tall with too much going
on in the gallery area. Love the 9022. Understated and still lets the beauty of the stone be the star. That space at the top
of the ring between the stone and the halo looks like the stone was set a little high. Probably doesnt show when looking straight
down on the ring. You could tell them that you dont want any time of airline showing.

Miaroseengland

Rough_Rock

Hi tyty33,

Thanks for your reply. Yeah you're seeing what I'm worried about in the 370- the boxy halo. I was worried it would overshadow my smaller diamond. I really want the halo to accentuate it.
The 9022 is really pretty and dainty. Although because of that I would worry about its strength and longevity even in platinum. I could do as diamondseeker suggested and request a thicker shank of minimum 1.8mm... And hope it doesn't look too thick.
Also if I went for the 9022 would you suggest tilting the halo? If so what %. And should I do as Julian (Pearlmans) suggested and fill in the inside of the ring instead of the channel? Sorry lots of Questions.

I know it sounds as if I need hand holding all the way but I kind of do! I am rather indecisive and always beat myself up about wrong decisions. I desperately want to love my new ring - with no regrets.

Appreciate all the feedback.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

I really dislike the gallery area of the 9022. When you talk about tilting halos and filling in the inside (not sure if you are talking about changing the gallery?), I feel like you are really doing a custom ring and not the 9022. That may increase the cost.

The thing is, whichever ring you do is going to be made for your size diamond. The 370 is not going to appear to be too big or boxy. The 9022 just doesn't look as octagonal to me as the 370, and I'd want the asscher shape accentuated. I do like the 9022 as I like almost all BK settings. I am just a little worried about it being too delicate, and the gallery area is just not a pretty design to me.

I really feel like you might do better on price by going with either David Klass or Caysie van Bebber for this ring since neither of the BK rings is exactly what you want, plus it carries a price premium for the brand. I'd at least get quotes. Find a gallery you like and show them the BK rings and they can maybe price it for you. They may require a deposit to actually do a design for you, but I think you will be able to beat the BK pricing and get exactly what you want.

Miaroseengland

Rough_Rock

Hi Diamondseeker,

Thanks for the added info... After seeing the additional pics of the 370, I was almost set on that setting. However I took your advice (thank you!) and contacted David for a quote. I sent him pics of my dream halo and David was so quick to reply. I am very excited at the thought of working with him on this. I just hope I am brave with any necessary decisions.

These are the pics I sent for inspiration...
image_3366.jpg
image_3367.jpg
image_3368.jpgimage_3369.jpg

I would truly value your opinion on the ring and if you feel anything should be changed? Their is an option to replace the pave in the sides of the shank for engraving... I love the look of the diamonds but would worry it could potentially damage a ring which sat along side it. As I have asked for the base of the halo to be changed so a wedding ring will sit flush next to it.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Gosh, that is just great!!! I think you'll be so glad you went this route!!

This is a gorgeous ring in your last photos! Who made it? (I remember now that it is Steven Kirsch.) I like everything about it, even the little doughnut because I like a tiny gap, personally. But I am sure he can do a nice job with eliminating it!

I LOVE engraving and I would personally do engraving on the sides. Diamonds on the halo and the top of the shank is plenty to me and less pave to worry about!

gregchang35

Ideal_Rock

WOW...that inspiration ring looks amazing..

I am glad that DS has chimed in...
i am jumping on inbetween chores.. hehehehe

Acinom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

So glad you will work with David Klass. He creates amazing jewelry. I love the last ring you posted. I am completely biased as I have a similar ring with a zircon center stone from Victor Canera.

To be able to combine it with a band and to reduce costs I would let David engrave the sides. His engraving is top notch.

Here is my ring:

_29184.jpg

_29185.jpg

_29186.jpg

_29187.jpg

lilysweet

Shiny_Rock

I agree with the evaluation of David's engraving. He just made a pendant for me and the engraving and milgrain even on the tiny surfaces is fabulous!

Miaroseengland

Rough_Rock

Hi Diamondseeker, gregchang, acinom & lilysweet!

Thank you so much for your advice, it truly means so much! And Phew! I chose well - with a little guidance from you of course diamondseeeker ;-)

My problem is I struggle envisioning ideas, I pretty much have to see photos of the real thing to get the whole picture.

Soooooo my first thought was 'well the design is pretty gorgeous and I wouldn't want to change a thing'. Then once I let it all sink in, then my brain starts ticking away and I make sense of it all.
I think that for me personally and like you all have recommended, the engraving will work best... I would worry that with the fully paved ring, it may appear too "blingy" (especially here in the UK, it would most likely be seen as a dress ring). Also as ideally I would like my wedding band to sit flush with this ring, I wouldn't feel happy knowing that any side pave would be causing damage to the wedding band.

So that's it I've made my mind up, halo and top of shank will be pave and sides will be engraving. I googled David Klass engraving and found some exquisite examples of David's skills, reassuring me I had made the right decision.....

image_3388.jpg
image_3389.jpg

Thank you all once again. You have no idea helpful you have been and how much I appreciate it!

I shall keep you posted with updates.

All the best Melanie

Miaroseengland

Rough_Rock

Acinom|1429362083|3864056 said:
So glad you will work with David Klass. He creates amazing jewelry. I love the last ring you posted. I am completely biased as I have a similar ring with a zircon center stone from Victor Canera.

To be able to combine it with a band and to reduce costs I would let David engrave the sides. His engraving is top notch.

Here is my ring:

Wow, Absolutely stunning! You lucky lady. I LOVE the blue contrast with the ice white diamonds. I can only imagine how incredible it looks in person.
It makes me so excited to see your ring..... If mine turns out even half as beautiful as yours, I will be over the moon!!

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

I can't wait to see your finished ring, Melanie! I think it is going to be much more special having one custom made!

(I adore Acinom's ring, too! :love: I thought about it when you posted the very similar SK ring!)

Acinom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Looking forward to admire the finished ring. It will be absolutely stunning! David is great to work with.

(Thanks you for the kind words about my ring DK and Miaroseengland)

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results