shape
carat
color
clarity

Pls help me choose my wife's new rock ASAP

Lance_Alot

Rough_Rock
Hi there,

I had another thread, but I am down to two choices on an anniversary gift for my wife (a new engagement ring). We are trading the old one back to Blue Nile, and. I will get a $4K credit. Which of the following two rings would you get. The GIA ring scores better using tools on this site (especially HCA), but the AGSL stone is AGSL rated 000. I need to make a call soon, so I am looking for quick replies. Thx in advance, as you guys have helped me immensely already in my crash course on buying a nice diamond. Here are the choices:

http://www.bluenile.com/diamond-details/LD04196273?keyword_search_value=LD04196273

http://www.bluenile.com/diamond-details/LD02417463?keyword_search_value=LD02417463

Lance

mrs-b

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Ok, sorry to muddy the waters, but I'm late to this party!

Personally, I like *this*. It's also a Signature cut, and I find those stones to be beautifully cut. The Signature stones are also guaranteed to be eye clean. And it's a little bit cheaper.

http://www.bluenile.com/build-your-own-diamond-ring?forceStep=DIAMONDS_STEP&track=NavEngStartWithDia#diamonds_forceStep=DIAMONDS_STEP|builder=BYOR|pid=LD03604598

Alternately, here's a G SI1 stone with specs just as good, for under 18k. It's spread is also sliiiightly larger. :)

http://www.bluenile.com/build-your-own-diamond-ring?forceStep=DIAMONDS_STEP&track=NavEngStartWithDia#diamonds_forceStep=DIAMONDS_STEP|builder=BYOR|pid=LD03923886

This one, also a Signature cut, is about 2mm larger and 1.75ct.

http://www.bluenile.com/build-your-own-diamond-ring?forceStep=DIAMONDS_STEP&track=NavEngStartWithDia#diamonds_forceStep=DIAMONDS_STEP|builder=BYOR|pid=LD04034775

All three of these have a bank wire price under 18k. I did a pretty good search through BN's inventory for you, and these three were my picks.

Lance_Alot

Rough_Rock
I have all of these on hold, so they will show unavailable on Blue Nile. At the suggestion above, I added one sig ideal as well. It is $20k however, and it is g color and SI1. My preference is both g color and vs1 clarity, but I will sacrifice either one since they are probably imperceptible anyway :) I'm trying to avoid sacrificing both. Here is the new one in the mix:

http://www.bluenile.com/diamond-details/LD03241499?keyword_search_value=LD03241499

CanuckAB

Shiny_Rock
G/H will both face up white. SI1 will allow you to maximize size. Just be sure to ask if it's eye clean to YOUR standards (ie: 8", 6"...). Eye clean means different things to different people. If you expect more than eye clean from the top, make sure to say that to Blue Nile when you call.

msop04

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
mrs-blop|1396089042|3643304 said:
http://www.bluenile.com/build-your-own-diamond-ring?forceStep=DIAMONDS_STEP&track=NavEngStartWithDia#diamonds_forceStep=DIAMONDS_STEP|builder=BYOR|pid=LD04034775

All three of these have a bank wire price under 18k. I did a pretty good search through BN's inventory for you, and these three were my picks.

I love this find! :))

mrs-b

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I agree, msop04. Of the three I posted, that would be my choice. If you're not familiar with BN Signature cuts, you wouldn't be aware how beautiful they are. I've bought many BN Sig stones, and they're truly lovely. They compare competitively with BGD, GOG and James Allen signature cuts - and they're a lot cheaper. They're also NOT drop-shipped, as other BN stones are. And they're guaranteed eye-clean. I think they're a great deal.

Given that my e-ring is an H SI1, I'm a pretty big fan. :)

Lance_Alot

Rough_Rock
OK, it seems like that ring is a hit so far, so I put it on hold. I thought the bias on this board was for AGSL rated stones vs GIA ratings?

mrs-b

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Lance - the GIA and AGS are just different rating systems. The AGS can, in some instances, prove to be more stringent. But just because a stone is rated by GIA doesn't necessarily make it a lower quality. I think if you end up with the H SI1 Sig. cut stone, you'll be very pleased. I haven't seen the stone, obviously, but my experience with BN Sig cut stones is broad. I am also a big fan of BGD and GOG stones, but BN is a good way of getting a bit more bang for your buck.

CanuckAB

Shiny_Rock
Lance, I am not biased towards AGS diamonds. The reason I was showing you the AGS 000 stones on your other thread was because Blue Nile doesn't give you access to the ideal-scope etc. that you would be able to get from other vendors. The performance of those diamonds was assured already so they were pretty safe choices. I personally bought a GIA VG VS2 diamond, no ideal-scope provided, with a HCA score of 0.7 FIC but I was able to see it in person. GIA and AGS diamonds are more accurately graded than other labs but GIA EX cut has a fairly relaxed range, so there are some average stones that manage to obtain the GIA EX grade.

Do you have a link to the setting you will be using? I can't wait to see the finished ring. You WILL post pictures, right? :wavey:

Post by Wink » 28 Mar 2014 07:09
The reason that AGS graded diamonds trade at a premium to GIA graded diamonds is because the GIA cut grading system is a joke.

Sadly, the trade accepts this system because it is in their benefit to do so. It allows them to keep weight that should be polished off to have an incredible diamond and thus to put more dollars in their pockets for producing merely pretty diamonds.

Both labs are very accurate in their overall grading of color and clarity and people who see thousands of stones per month, like Paul Slegers of Crafted by Infinity have stated this to be their experience. In cut grading however, AGS left GIA in the dust many years ago and thus commands a 3% to 5% premium over GIA graded diamonds. (This is the premium stated by Martin Rapaport at an educational session at the JCK show two years ago. The exact number may have changed by now.)

As far as accuracy goes, GIA now employs over 1,000 diamond graders around the world. I suspect that they are having more problems with consistency than we would really like to think about.

Wink

Edited to add post made by Wink from another thread.

Lance_Alot

Rough_Rock
Hi there,

Well, I pulled the trigger! I have officially ordered LD04034775. While my preference was for a VS clarity or G color, you guys convinced me that the BN Signature was not to be passed up. Plus, I don't think the lower color and clarity is really perceptible in this case. I also ran the specs through the HCA, AGA, and a H&A tool, and it scored excellent on all three tools. I will keep post photos once we get it, and I can't thank you all enough for your help. Here is the setting that we are planning to go with it:
http://www.bluenile.com/engagement-rings/monique-lhuillier/monique-lhuillier-solitaire-engagement-ring-platinum-41262

Thanks again! I really could have done this without all of you help. I also plan on getting the ring appraised in the next 30 days, but I fully expect it to pass with flying colors.

Lance

mrs-b

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Lance_Alot|1396167029|3643647 said:
Hi there,

Well, I pulled the trigger! I have officially ordered LD04034775. While my preference was for a VS clarity or G color, you guys convinced me that the BN Signature was not to be passed up. Plus, I don't think the lower color and clarity is really perceptible in this case. I also ran the specs through the HCA, AGA, and a H&A tool, and it scored excellent on all three tools. I will keep post photos once we get it, and I can't thank you all enough for your help. Here is the setting that we are planning to go with it:
http://www.bluenile.com/engagement-rings/monique-lhuillier/monique-lhuillier-solitaire-engagement-ring-platinum-41262

Thanks again! I really could have done this without all of you help. I also plan on getting the ring appraised in the next 30 days, but I fully expect it to pass with flying colors.

Lance

Great news! Please come back with feedback and photos when it's done! Can't wait to hear what you think of this one.

hearts-arrows_girl

Brilliant_Rock
Your ring is going to be beautiful! I love the pave on the petal shaped prongs. Can't wait to see photos when you get it. :appl:

mrs-b

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Lance - did the ring arrive? Got some photos for us?

Lance_Alot

Rough_Rock
Sorry...I'm lame :oops: I was waiting until I could take some better photos, and I never got around to it. The ring arrived, and it is great! We both think I made a nice choice, and my wife is quickly getting used to the increased size...and sparkle. It lights up the room. The BN feel good appraisal came back at $31K on a $19K purchase price. My independent appraiser said we could replace it locally on the $23 range, and he said It is a good value. He also said BN rarely has issues with price, but they aren't as much of a deal as they used to be. He said it was very well cut and also commented that the color is a very high H, and he was quite surprised that it did not get a G rating.

Thx again for the help, as it really led me to pick what I think is the best value for us. I'm attaching some appraisal photos, but I will post something better once I figure out how to take a good ring photo on my own.

_17046.jpg

_17047.jpg

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results