shape
carat
color
clarity

Please Help With Cushion For Engagement Ring

savage_here

Rough_Rock
Hello Everyone,

I just registered, but I've been devouring threads here for a while doing research for my diamond search.

I'm looking for a modern cushion in the 2 carat range (.2 over or under would be fine). It will be an engagement solitaire and will not be halo set. It will be set on a plain platinum band with no other diamonds, so it's going to be the star of the show and I want it to be as good as I can get obviously. I prefer rectangular over square. I don't like vintage cuts and I don't like crushed ice.

Budget is $30K or under (preferably under).

I've been looking at quite a few stones online, but frankly I'm not getting a very good idea of what I actually like by the photos and videos. So, today I started my search at a b&m store so that I could actually handle and see in person.

I'm in Houston and I was referred by a very good friend of mine, who is in the jewelry business, to a wholesaler here with 30+ years experience. I felt comfortable with the guy and he had a lot of good information and advice. He told me that he was pretty picky with cushions because of all the bad cuts out there and probably picked up 1 stone out of every 100 he looked at for his inventory. He had a decent inventory and I ended up looking at about 7 or 8 stones in my range.

One thing that was a little disconcerting about the conversation was that when I brought up ASET, he didn't even know what it was. So, all I have to go on is the GIA certs and what looked good to my untrained eye.

I narrowed the ones I saw down to two, but I need some help in determining a few things.

Stone 1:
Cushion Modified Brilliant
8.11 x 7.03 x 4.68
2.04 carat
G color
VS2
Polish - Excellent
Symmetry - Very Good
Flour. - none
Depth - 66.6%
Table - 74%

Stone 2:
Cushion Modified Brilliant
7.82 x 6.64 x 4.5
2.00 carat
F color
VS1
Polish - Very Good
Symmetry - Good
Flour. - Faint
Depth - 67.8%
Table - 73%

I'm going to attempt to upload the pics and then we can get into the discussion(s). Thanks in advance for your patience with me and your advice. I appreciate all that I've been able to learn from the experts here and look forward to your specific comments on these diamonds and my search.

dscn5236.jpg

dscn5200.jpg

dscn5204.jpg

dscn5209.jpg

savage_here

Rough_Rock
I really love the facet pattern of the 2.04 carat and, in fact, like it overall better than the 2.00 carat stone. But, I'm a little concerned with the large tables on both. I saw some with smaller tables, but they didn't have the internal spread of faceting that I see in these two.

The guy I was dealing with was very dismissive of table sizing and said it was all about the look. I don't know if that's because he didn't have any other inventory or if that was his personal opinion regardless of inventory.

Without ASET images, all I could do is move the stones around and judge for myself. Again, I liked the 2.04 in this regard, but I'm such a newbie that I really don't trust myself.

savage_here

Rough_Rock
That does look nice, but I really want something that's obviously rectangular. So not square or almost square.

Keep it coming though, I really appreciate the help.

savage_here

Rough_Rock
I guess at least part of the question would be, would you be comfortable buying (as a newbie to diamonds) from a reputable, local wholesaler without ASET images? Or, would it be better to venture out to the trusted sources here, whom I've never met and are in other cities, in order to get ASET images accompanying the pictures/video/specs?

danielxlin

Shiny_Rock
I'd contact the Texas dealers White Flash and Brian Gavin to see what they have or can acquire in your quality/price range. Then you can see the diamonds in person and compare with what you've seen from your guy.

I'd also highly recommend checking out the X-Factor cushions at Brilliantly Engaged. They've got a large selection of 2 carat cushions right now. With such a high budget you're sitting pretty and can afford to pick from a signature cushion line:

http://www.brilliantlyengaged.com/x-factor-diamonds/

Madison2

Brilliant_Rock
For cushion cut diamond, I would recommend Good Old Gold. They provide aset, all images on line including GIA certs for viewing.
They have some nice cushions with rare facet patterns to view.

savage_here

Rough_Rock
I had no idea that Brian Gavin and Whiteflash were in the Houston area! I'll definitely check them out. I looked at the X-factor stuff at Brilliantly Engaged and it's very pretty. But, the ones I saw were too square.

I've looked at some of the Good Old Gold stones via the search tool on here, but I'll give them a better look over the next day or two.

I have to be in Florida for business soon, so if anybody has any recommendations for B&M stores in the Delray Beach area, please let me know.

Thanks again everyone.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
savage_here|1431282808|3874855 said:
I had no idea that Brian Gavin and Whiteflash were in the Houston area! I'll definitely check them out.

Please do! :))

savage_here

Rough_Rock
Update.

I've done a ton more research and reached out to both in-town vendors, Brian Gavin and Whiteflash. I have an appointment tomorrow to see two diamonds at Whiteflash that were brought in from their virtual selection.

Details as follows:

Here's the GIA on the first:

http://www.whiteflash.com/loose-diamonds/certificate.aspx?idno=3421365&file_name=1

Here's the GIA on the second:

http://www.whiteflash.com/loose-diamonds/certificate.aspx?idno=3426782&file_name=1

I'm going to post the actual photos of the first as well as the ASET and IdealScope images in this post. Then I'll do another post with the pics and ASET/Idealscope of the second.

Any commentary at all would be helpful prior to my appt tomorrow. Thanks.

gia2161963348-diamond.jpg

gia2161963348-glamour.jpg

gia2161963348-aset.jpg

gia2161963348-idealscope.jpg

savage_here

Rough_Rock
The lady that's helping me says that both look great in person, with great edge-to-edge light return, etc. But, to me, these ASET images are really disappointing. Can somebody give me some guidance here because to me the ASET's look like crap.

Thanks so much.

Mayk

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'm not one of the experts.. But I love the look of #1.

Medical

Rough_Rock
I'd kick 2 out of the running. 1 is pretty good for a random call in.

BG's signature line would offer better light return, but I'm sure you'd have to pay a fair bit more for the same size.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Any chance of a video? I'm wondering whether #2 might look nicer in person than #1 due to the distribution of red and green that is well mixed rather than a large green area with a concentration of red across the middle, which might make it look like it has a bowtie at times.

savage_here

Rough_Rock
I'm going at 11am to see both personally. I can try to take video if iPhone quality is ok for what you're looking for. If you're looking for video straight from Whiteflash, I don't know. They have not offered that to me, but I'm guessing it's because I'm coming in person.

Also, I just made an appt at Brian Gavin for after the Whiteflash visit. They only have square cushions in their signature line, but there are two in the 2 carat range that look stunning online. They are, of course, more money and perhaps slightly out of my budget. But, I definitely want to see them in person so that I can have a frame of reference and potentially even be swayed to square instead of rectangular.

They are these two:

http://www.briangavindiamonds.com/diamonds/diamond-details/2.184-g-vs1-cushion-diamond-ags-104067040001

http://www.briangavindiamonds.com/diamonds/diamond-details/2.015-f-vs1-cushion-diamond-ags-104066027002

I should have a bit more info late this afternoon.

Thanks again everyone.

savage_here

Rough_Rock
Whiteflash visit, #1 was ok and I told them to keep it as a contender. It had some light leakage as seen on the ASET, but the most bothersome part was the distinctive bow tie. I saw it right away and kept seeing it no matter the lighting conditions, orientation of the stone or how I tilted it back and forth. #2 had a huge, mushy "hole" in the middle and was immediately dismissed. This basically highlighted to me the futility of this process. Many of the diamonds in the virtual selection don't have photos, let alone ASET or IdealScope images. So, you have to cull through specs on paper, figure out which "might" meet your criteria and then order them in. Then, when they get here, there's a better than average chance that they're going to be unacceptable. I know it's the constraints of the game, but it really shouldn't be when considering a $25-30K item for purchase.

That said, the staff at Whiteflash was very patient and professional and did their best to figure out exactly what I want so that they could continue the hunt.

Next stop was Brian Gavin. I met with Brian himself and spent a couple of hours with him. It was an absolute joy to speak with him and he continued my education in cushions. I never got any pressure to buy or anything like that and I felt 100% comfortable and confident in what he was telling me.

In his signature line, he only has square cushions and that was my fear going in. I was pretty much set on rectangulars and didn't know how well that would work when looking. The problem was...his square cushions are unbelievably stunning in person. Absolutely spectacular in fact.

After speaking with him and seeing the two diamonds that were in my size range, it now comes down to this. Shape or performance. If one leans toward performance, there's a clear, head-and-shoulders about the rest winner and that's the BG signature cushions. If shape, then the long, arduous hunt for a needle in a stack of needles will continue. I just have to make that determination.

I'm leaning toward performance which will stretch my budget a little. But, damn, the BG stones are amazing.

savage_here

Rough_Rock
*********** UPDATE ***********

First of all, I want to thank everyone for their help. Not only the people who replied and offered assistance in this thread, but all the countless others whose posts I read with regard to all aspects of diamonds, purchase process, etc.

In the end I went with BGD. And, I could not be happier. Further, my fiancé is thrilled with the final product.

I'm going to attach some photos of the actual ring that were taken by BGD along with a hand shot (which is taken with my phone sadly, so the quality isn't the best; but it gives a little better idea of scale).

Thanks again everyone!

briangavin_halo_scotts1_071715.jpg

briangavin_halo_scotts2_071715.jpg

briangavin_halo_scotts4_071715.jpg

briangavin_halo_scotts3_071715.jpg

Boo247

Rough_Rock
Wow. Fantastic! No wonder your lady is delighted....it's a corker! And you know from BG its quality too not just show. Congratulations!

UrsTx

Brilliant_Rock
Wow! I love the BG H&A cushions too. It's absolutely beautiful in that setting :love:

JDDN

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Totally stunning, congratulations on a gorgeous ring and on your engagement!!

savage_here

Rough_Rock
Thanks again everyone. We've now had a chance to observe it in a variety of lighting conditions and it never disappoints. It's truly a stellar performer. It's actually mesmerizing and you have a hard time looking away. So satisfied. Big $$$, but so worth it.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results