shape
carat
color
clarity

Please help, round brilliant in a cushion or round halo?

Rockredo

Shiny_Rock
I have spent months looking at pictures online in efforts to decide in my ER redo. I have a round brilliant that was reset about 7 years ago as a 3 restone Tiffany replica. I got tired of it and decide it was too bulky side ways for my long skinny fingers and wanted to reset into a halo, which I love. I toyed with the idea of upgrading the main diamond, but decided to keep it. I love the Harry Winston cushion halo...and my jeweler said they could cushion halo my round and it would give the illusion of the cushion stone. So I did it, and now I am question whether I should have just put a round halo on it rather then a cushion shaped one? I am going to try and upload my previous ring and the new....but anyone in the cushion versus round halo, please advise! I had the .55 side diamonds set into round halos for earrings and I love them. Stats on my center stone is 1.3 H VS2. I was trying to create a more vintage look rather then modern, if that makes sense.

_11320.jpg

_11321.jpg

wdfwguy

Rough_Rock
I was just trying to make the same decision for my girlfriend's ring and went with the cushion halo and round center stone

UrsTx

Brilliant_Rock
It's really personal preference. Halos are very on trend right now but IMO, a cushion halo is more vintage while a round halo is more modern. How about buying a fake diamond round halo ring and wearing it around the house a few days to see if you like it better? If you're enjoying your earrings, you may like a round halo ring but testing it first is better than resetting it and deciding you actually liked the cushion design better. Good luck. Your cushion design looks wonderful FWIW!

Rockredo

Shiny_Rock
Thanks for the feedback. I think I should have bought fakes of each before I pulled the redo trigger but I got excited! IF I had upgraded the stone I think I would have picked a cushion cut over round, but I was sentimental about the original diamond my husband proposed with, so I kept it. I DO want more of a vintage like look....and I think the cushion shape was better on my hand for coverage...but I just feel like I cheated, maybe a round belongs with a round halo? This is the another pic, I had it set with a chathedral shank, so I can wear flush bands too.

_11322.jpg

Acinom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I love the vintage look of a cushion halo! Especially on your slender hands. It looks stunning.

But if you have doubts yourself, I like the idea of buying a cheap round version to wear around the house and see what suits you best.

Rockredo

Shiny_Rock
Thank you! This must be what I want to hear because I find myself hoping the responses say cushion! Either that or I don't want to realize I made a costly mistake to redo! I think the round halos are pretty but just give off such a different feel...does anyone think that?

braga123

Brilliant_Rock
I have actually had both. I started off with a round halo, but started to covet the cushion halo and became unhappy with my round. My stone is a 1.43 round. I LOVE MY CUSHION HALO! I get the shape of a cushion but with the sparkle and size of a round. Give it a few months before you opt to change it and if you do, you will know for sure.

braga123

Brilliant_Rock
And yes, I agree about the rounds...the cushion halos seem more romantic and vintage....

dreamer_dachsie

Super_Ideal_Rock
I think the style of the pave might be what makes it seem too modern for you? Bead set is more vintage. Also, I do think you can find a vendor who will make a more delicate and rounded halo rather than square. In other words, I don't know if your disatisfaction is the shape of halo or the style/workmanship.

Rockredo

Shiny_Rock
Thanks. I don't know? I had a kwiat delicate cushion halo and the Harry Winston cushion halo as my sample pictures. The jeweler asked if I wanted the same claw prongs as the HW one and I said yes and I picked the u pave over the v cuts. I had the ring made custom so to best fit the round stone low and flush...hmmm. I am just not sure what's off about it?!

_11327.jpg

Acinom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Your ring is absolutely stunning. Like Dreamer_D mentioned, perhaps it bothers you is that the halo shape is square instead of 'cushiony/roundish' like this one from Victor Canera:

_11328.jpg

Rockredo

Shiny_Rock
YES I think that's it! I wish I had gone with this! I emailed him for a quote but was nervous to sent my diamond away like that..I live on the east coast. I paid a bit under his quote but I think I would have been happier with the outcome. Now what? I wonder if he could fix it or if I should just live with it and see. Ugh...

Acinom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Rockredo|1382820686|3545194 said:
YES I think that's it! I wish I had gone with this! I emailed him for a quote but was nervous to sent my diamond away like that..I live on the east coast. I paid a bit under his quote but I think I would have been happier with the outcome. Now what? I wonder if he could fix it or if I should just live with it and see. Ugh...

I'm afraid he will not alter a setting that a different designer made.
You might get totally used to the look of your ring. Or you should sell the setting and start all over, but that will be an extra investment.
First wait and see... The ring is so beautiful on your hand!!! But if it's really nagging you, it will not go away and then perhaps you should to start from scratch.

Rockredo

Shiny_Rock
Thank you for the advice. I don't dislike the new setting, it's just not 100% what I had hoped for. I emailed Victor to ask, although I am sure you are correct. Then I wonder about the cushion or round Emilya for my round stone. Would I be able to sell my setting on these boards? I am new! Wish I had found this before I made the purchase!

braga123

Brilliant_Rock
It sounds like you are going to end up spending a lot of money...FWIW, I think your ring is lovely. Is there anyway that your jeweler can modify it a bit so that it is exactly what you wished for?

I want to add that I also bought my ring after Pricescope....it is extremely hard to try to keep up with many of the rings here and I have had to learn to make the best out of my ring options. Very few people in the real world can actually tell the difference between the great masterpieces here on PS and the vast majority...and while I realize that the ring is for your enjoyment, not anyone else, maybe you are being too harsh on your ring....

Rockredo

Shiny_Rock
Thanks so much braga123. I tend to second guess myself with everything so this is an example! I told the jeweler my concerns and he made a wax mold. I thought the halo was a bit square and he said he would soften the corners. I guess it's not so bad to have a squarish cushion halo...it just feels more modern to me. The ring itself is very well made and sparkles non stop. I am going to live with it and see. I appreciate the compliments, makes me feel better!

mns12

Shiny_Rock
I had the same exact problem when I was deciding on my reset..originally I wanted a cushion halo but then switched my mind last minute and went with the round halo (VC Emilya). I just posted [URL='https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/mrb-reset-victor-canera-emilya.194674/']https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/mrb-reset-victor-canera-emilya.194674/[/URL]

Either way you can't go wrong..they are both beautiful. And I think your new ring looks so pretty on your fingers!! A small part of me still lust after the cushion halo but I think I will save that for a RHR down the road:)

Rockredo

Shiny_Rock
mns12, your ring looks perfect on your hand! I actually was emailing Victor today about the situation, what a nice guy. He said he does more round Emilya settings than cushion ones. I think what I really lust for is the cushion stone in a cushion halo! But since I have a round and my DH also picked this out all by himself long ago I feel sentimental about I keeping it. For what's it worth I think your ring is jut gorgeous! Did you go with flush for stems?

mns12

Shiny_Rock
Rockredo|1382841636|3545376 said:
mns12, your ring looks perfect on your hand! I actually was emailing Victor today about the situation, what a nice guy. He said he does more round Emilya settings than cushion ones. I think what I really lust for is the cushion stone in a cushion halo! But since I have a round and my DH also picked this out all by himself long ago I feel sentimental about I keeping it. For what's it worth I think your ring is jut gorgeous! Did you go with flush for stems?

Hi!
Thanks:) I went with the original Emilya (with pave donut)
I am one on those indecisive persons it drives me nutz!
If I went with the cushion halo I think I would of been second guessing about the round halo.
They are both sooo pretty.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock

Rockredo

Shiny_Rock
Ok, I have slept on it. I really wish I went with Victor round Emilya! Even my DH agrees and thinks I moved too fast. How do I sell my 10 day old custom platinum setting??! What is usual fair amount of purchase price? I realize I am going to loose money here but it's really bugging me. Advice on how to sell? It's gorgeous just not what I truly want. Help.

Acinom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Oh my...
First, sleep over it one more night. Put the ring away for a few hours and then look at it again with new eyes..
But obviously this is nagging you.

The experts can perhaps give you a fair price. But I would also contact your jeweller and see what he can offer you. Perhaps he can five you a fair amount and sell the setting in his own store. Or perhaps he can take it back in exchange for a store credit (that you could use for studs etc. in the future). The 'scrap' value of the metal and diamonds will not be near the amount you have paid. This would mean that the setting that Victor will make you will be a an additional investment...

You also said that a cushion with cushion halo is what really sings to you? In that case you could sell the current setting, have your diamond set in a simple solitaire and save for a few years. Then you could buy your dream ring from Victor with a cushion center and have the RB set in a pendant.

All the best in making decisions and going forward.

I said it before and I mean it: your ring is really lovely. The way you look at rings here on PS (highly magnified and zoomed in on the details), is not how you see your ring in real life.

braga123

Brilliant_Rock
You need to slow down and try the other options first! You also need to decide if it is the cushion stone that you are lusting after or if it is the fact that you do not have a VC setting that is really bothering you bc it doesn't seem that you have determined that. I suggest that you wear your ring out with your social circle so they you can get a taste of reality...you will find they will be mesmerized by it!

Also, post more and different pictures of your ring on SMTB...let everyone weigh in! Don't mention your disappointment, just post your new ring...maybe you just need reassurance.

Rockredo

Shiny_Rock
Braga123 and Acinom, I thank you both! I realize I am sound so crazy! Ha! I agree I need to chill out a bit and see how I feel long term. I don't think it's a Victor ring per se that I am wishing I had (although it would be nice!) I just am super critical and I think the halo is too square, making me wish I had just made it simple with a round halo. The perfect cushion halo for a round diamond seems to be a challenge unless you are one of the best. I also thinking talking with the jeweler who sold it to me is my best option...maybe I can change the head to a round halo...I will post more pics too. It's a very simple setting...

mns12

Shiny_Rock
Acinom|1382888170|3545582 said:
Oh my...
First, sleep over it one more night. Put the ring away for a few hours and then look at it again with new eyes..

The experts can perhaps give you a fair price. But I would also contact your jeweller and see what he can offer you. Perhaps he can five you a fair amount and sell the setting in his own store. Or perhaps he can take it back in exchange for a store credit (that you could use for studs etc. in the future). The 'scrap' value of the metal and diamonds will not be near the amount you have paid. This would mean that the setting that Victor will make you will be a an additional investment...

You also said that a cushion with cushion halo is what really sings to you? In that case you could sell the current setting, have your diamond set in a simple solitaire and save for a few years. Then you could buy your dream ring from Victor with a cushion center and have the RB set in a pendant.

All the best in making decisions and going forward.

I said it before and I mean it: your ring is really lovely. The way you look at rings here on PS (highly magnified and zoomed in on the details), is not how you see your ring in real life.

I couldn't agree more with the above statement. You can totally get swept away in the PS world, but when it comes down to it and you are with your social circle your ring really will stand out. At least in my social circle:) While it seems like VC rings are everywhere on PS right now I'm pretty confident I will never run into anyone I know that has the same ring so that makes me really happy:)

That said, if that one detail is nagging at you I can totally relate. You need to do what makes you happy in the long run!
I hope it all works out for you!!

momhappy

Ideal_Rock
I had the same dilemma and went with the round halo for my round stone and I couldn't be happier. It's really about personal preference and no one can tell you what you should or shouldn't do. Your ring looks lovely and I certainly wouldn't suggest making any further changes to it at this point, but again, that's entirely up to you.

msop04

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
mns12|1382896232|3545646 said:
Oh my...

I couldn't agree more with the above statement. You can totally get swept away in the PS world, but when it comes down to it and you are with your social circle your ring really will stand out.

I agree with this too... although it's fun to see all the magnified images of everyone's sparkly perfection, PS can make you second guess yourself if you're not careful! I get into a PS rut and drive myself crazy... should I have gone with VC? ...do I really want all this pave forever?? ...why do I obsess -- why can't I just enjoy my ring??!! AAAAHHHHHH!!!!! :errrr: :sick: :blackeye:

I have a round in a cushion halo and love it -- but I wasn't so sure about it at first... I had always wanted a round and loved the look, so it took me a few weeks to get used to it and love it. I still have days when I think maybe I should've gone round halo or three stone or 6-prong solitaire!! It happens -- that's what PS can do to you! :lol: When I get that way, I just stay off PS for a day or so. There are so many gorgeous rings, but we only have one ring finger. :bigsmile: FWIW, I think your ring looks lovely on your hand -- it may just be that you're not used to seeing that shape on your finger. Give it a month or so and see how you feel. Best of luck to you! :))

mns12

Shiny_Rock
msop04|1382898328|3545666 said:
mns12|1382896232|3545646 said:
Oh my...

I couldn't agree more with the above statement. You can totally get swept away in the PS world, but when it comes down to it and you are with your social circle your ring really will stand out.

I agree with this too... although it's fun to see all the magnified images of everyone's sparkly perfection, PS can make you second guess yourself if you're not careful! I get into a PS rut and drive myself crazy... should I have gone with VC? ...do I really want all this pave forever?? ...why do I obsess -- why can't I just enjoy my ring??!! AAAAHHHHHH!!!!! :errrr: :sick: :blackeye:

I have a round in a cushion halo and love it -- but I wasn't so sure about it at first... I had always wanted a round and loved the look, so it took me a few weeks to get used to it and love it. I still have days when I think maybe I should've gone round halo or three stone or 6-prong solitaire!! It happens -- that's what PS can do to you! :lol: When I get that way, I just stay off PS for a day or so. There are so many gorgeous rings, but we only have one ring finger. :bigsmile: FWIW, I think your ring looks lovely on your hand -- it may just be that you're not used to seeing that shape on your finger. Give it a month or so and see how you feel. Best of luck to you! :))

I love your ring msop04 and it was one of the rings that kept bringing me back to "round in cushion halo"!
And I totally agree with all your statements!!

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I answered your question in another thread about how to sell a setting before seeing this thread.

At best you may get half of what you paid for your current new setting. Then you pay even more than the first one to have Victor make you a new one. There is nothing really vintage about the style pave in the ring you now have. For vintage cushion shaped settings, consider beadset with a milgrain edge like the Tiffany Legacy or Vatche Grace (which is made for a round stone).

http://www.tiffany.com/Engagement/Item.aspx?groupSKU=GRP10013&origin=engagement&search_params=param+0/0/0/0/4

http://www.whiteflash.com/engagement-rings/diamond-settings/grace-diamond-engagement-ring-by-vatche-256.htm

I think your ring looks beautiful and I do not think I would have it remade into the same thing but round halo. I don't think the money lost and respent will be worth it.

msop04

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
mns12|1382898741|3545670 said:
I love your ring msop04 and it was one of the rings that kept bringing me back to "round in cushion halo"!
And I totally agree with all your statements!!

Thank you, mns! I think we all have days where we think what if I'd used {fill in the bench} for my setting?? I'm currently on a three stone kick < le sigh >... I have a really well-made CZ three stone that I've always loved, but I digress. ::)

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results