shape
carat
color
clarity

Please help if this is "well cut"

SteveNagacho

Rough_Rock
Hi All,
Can you please verify if this is a "well cut" round brilliant diamond spec wise for a 1.33 carat. Thank you!
ROUND BRILLIANT

Measurements: 7.07 - 7.12 x 4.29 mm
Carat Weight: 1.33 carat
Color Grade: H
Clarity Grade: VS1
Cut Grade: Excellent
PROPORTIONS:

Depth: 60.5%
Table: 61%
Crown Angle: 33.5°
Crown Height: 13.0%
Pavilion Angle: 41.2°
Pavilion Depth: 43.5%
Star length: 50%
Lower Half: 75%
Girdle: Medium to Slightly Thick, Faceted
Culet: None
FINISH:

Polish: Excellent
Symmetry: Excellent
Fluorescence: None

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

SteveNagacho

Rough_Rock
Hi Kenny,
I am having a hard time understanding the HCA tool results that I pulled myself. Can you please help explain more? Does this mean the diamond will not be as sparkly? Will it appear smaller than it is? What exactly does the 3.5 score mean? Thanks again!

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
You said you want well cut.
HCA is a tool that helps weed out diamonds that are not as well cut as others.
Read about it in the link I posted and the links that that link has.

Under 2.0 is worth getting more info on.
Over 2.0 is not as well cut as under 2.
They drew a line and they drew it at 2.

If I'm looking for well cut I'm only going to consider those under 2
The one you posted scored 3.5 so I would not bother with it.
You said you want well cut.
Well cut means more light return, more sparkle etc., blah blah blah.

Now if person X already owns a stone that scores over 2 and is happy with it so be it.
All diamonds that are all ready purchases are all the most beautiful and perfect diamonds in the world.
Cut grading only applies to diamonds for sale - wink wink, nudge nudge. :wink2:

People who sell or own diamonds that score over 2 often bash the HCA tool.
I don't blame them.

Well cut is not for everyone, but you asked for well cut.

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
ah - same stone.

replied in your other thread.

Amys Bling

Super_Ideal_Rock
define your idea of "well" cut. If you are looking for the top cut stone- then you typically are looking for something under 2.0 on the HCA tool. I guess it all depends on how "welll" cut of a stone you are looking for. Have you seen stones in person? I would venture out to a store and ask to see an "excellent" "very good" "good" anbd "fair" cut stone in person. See how you feel about the differences in cut. You may find that the "good" stone to your eyes was just as sparkly and bright as the "very good"- or you may see a hige difference.

**Make sure to view these stones in lighting other than just the store lighting, as those lights make all stones sparkle.

Amys Bling

Super_Ideal_Rock
here is a comparison on diamond sizes... they save that a 1.25 carat RB should be around 7x7mm in size. The stone you have is 1.33... so seems close to the spread that a 1.33 stone should have.... but not suer about the actual cut quality.

SteveNagacho

Rough_Rock
Hi All- I don't know a TON about diamonds but I was just about to put a deposit on this ring. By asking if its 'well cut' I just wanted to make sure that it wasn't cut poorly that it will appear a lot smaller than it really was and also that it catches light by being sparkly. Initially, I was just told that choosing a "triple excellent ring" will fall under this category but I was told the pavilion etc matters too which is why I posted all the other specs here to get more info. Thanks.

Rockdiamond

Ideal_Rock
Trade
HI Steve,
Basically, you're going to read a lot of stuff that is, by and large, irrelevant if you're in a position to physically observe the stone.
Most experts would not dispute the GIA EX cut grade- although the range of the grade allows for taste. No well versed expert would call a GIA EX cut graded stone "poorly cut"
To a person with a sharp, interested eye, some proportions might be a lot more attractive than others.
I have found stones that I loved that did not score well on the "tools' which are supposed to tell you which is best.
In fact, I have found stones I prefer that scored badly on these tools as compared to stones that scored better.
So- use your eyes.
From the measurements, the stone you're considering will look it's size- which many people will consider a very good thing.
By all means, look at as many stones as you can to see if you prefer something different- primarily a smaller table, which is generally preferred by the tools, and many participants here- but by no means all the participants.,
It's really a matter of opinion.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results