shape
carat
color
clarity

PLEASE HELP - fair price for diamond with Indented Natural?

majes888

Rough_Rock
I was quoted at $9300 for a 1.25, F, SI2, excellent cut round brilliant diamond. Looking at bringing him down to the mid 8K range. My concern is the indented natural, which in my non-expert opinion, seems to be near table at the crown. It seems really small. Should I be concerned? Otherwise, it looks pretty clean.

GIA 2126224096

Please help as I'm looking to lock in something this week, thanks!

majes888

Rough_Rock
Re: PLEASE HELP - fair price for diamond with Indented Natur

Anyone? Thanks

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Here's the link to the report:

https://myapps.gia.edu/ReportCheckPortal/getReportData.do?&reportno=2126224096&weight=1.25#

Have you seen the stone? The jeweler needs to show you that indented natural with magnification. If you have not seen it and have not been provided images of the stone, then under no circumstances would I buy it. I really can't tell where the indented natural is on that plot, but I'd never order an SI2 stone without a lot if visual evidence of how clean the stone is.

I am seeing stones with those specs at about $8000-8200 on James Allen, so you are right in seeking a little lower pricing.

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

I'm super picky and have a few diamonds with indented naturals.
A natural is just a tiny portion of the original skin of the diamond that they didn't polish off to save weight.

Also GIA lists inclusions in order of seriousness and that IN is listed last.
Yeah, it would be nice if it wasn't on the crown, but it will not be visible to the naked eye.

too clean for an SI2 of this size. i would be worried about surface graining and twinning wisps.

majes888

Rough_Rock

Thanks for your responses.

I have seen the stone various times. Neither seller nor I (who really has little experience viewing diamonds) can see the indented natural with a loupe. He thinks it's probably visible under 60x magnification. As you can see by the report, its even hard to see on the report. Seller thinks this stone shouldnt be an S12 and that's partly why he priced it at 9300, because its an extremely clean S12. My response is that at the end of the day, its still at S12.

All this said, today, we viewed again and he's dropped down to about $8600 and is willing to go with me and have it evaluated by a gemologist-appraiser of my choosing prior to sale. I plugged in the numbers to the HCA tool and it gave me a 2.3.

The competing diamond would run me about 7K - round brilliant 1.24, G, S12, excellent cut with faint fluorescence. HCA score of 1.3.

Here is link to report - much more visible inclusions with loupe and one in particular I can sort of see w/o loupe

https://myapps.gia.edu/ReportCheckPortal/getReportData.do?&reportno=2136853700&weight=1.24

JulieN

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

I wouldn't worry about eye-clean indented naturals at all.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results