shape
carat
color
clarity

Please give me your opinions on these 4 diamonds :)

Please vote for the best diamond out of these 4!

• #1 2.05 E VVS2 Triple E

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • #2 2.01 E VVS2 Triple E

Votes: 5 62.5%
  • #3 2.06 D VVS2 Triple E

Votes: 2 25.0%
  • #4 2.09 E VVS1 Triple E

Votes: 1 12.5%

• Total voters

enhasa

Rough_Rock
Hi everyone! Please help me choose between these 4 diamonds :)

They are all by the same company and these rings are the same settings. Prices are different due to color, clarity and carat differences, but they are somewhat close. All of them have really great HCA scores. I listed the diamond with their prices in increasing order, with the first diamond being the cheapest. The range is about 120k to 145k approximately without factoring in concessions and taxes yet. I have also attached their GIA certs with pictures of their inclusions. Please give me your recommendation!

Should I be concerned about any of their inclusions? 3 of the diamonds have comments that state that certain inclusions are not shown. Is that a red flag?
Which diamond looks best on paper?
Overall, factoring in the price as well, which would you go for?
In terms of ranking, how would you rank them?

2.05 E VVS2 Triple Ex (HCA 1.4, triple Ex)
8.12 - 8.15 x 5.02
Depth: 61.7%
Table: 57%
Crown height: 15%
Crown Angle: 35.5
Pavilion depth: 43.0%
Pavilion angle: 40.6
Girdle: Slightly thick Faceted
Culet: none

2.01 E VVS2 Triple E (HCA 1.3, triple Ex)
8.08 - 8.11 x 5.01
Depth: 61.9%
Table: 56%
Crown Angle: 34.5
Pavilion angle: 40.8

2.06 D VVS2 Triple E (HCA 0.7, triple Ex)
8.18 - 8.24 x 5.04
Depth: 61.4%
Crown Angle: 34.5
Pavilion angle: 40.6
Girdle: Medium Faceted

2.09 E VVS1 Triple E (HCA 1.1, triple Ex)
8.17 - 8.2 x 5.07
Depth: 62%
Crown Angle: 34
Pavilion angle: 40.8

gia_14.jpg

gia_15.jpg

gia_16.jpg

gia_17.jpg

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Do you have an idealscope for #1?

I would probably go for the next cheapest after #1...but I would want to at least see images of all the stones and idealscope
if they are possible. You shouldnt need to worry about any of the inclusions. You are very high in the color/clarity specs.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I wouldn't spend anywhere near this much money on a diamond without images of the stone and an idealscope image. But if I had to pick from the lab reports alone, #2 (2.01 E VVS2) is the best risk of the 4 stones.

As far as clarity goes, you cannot see inclusions with the eye in a VS1. Even with a 10x loupe inclusions can be hard to find in a VS1. So unless you are using something with really high power magnification, like a microscope, you do not even need to think about inclusions in VVS. The only reason I can see buying VVS is for some kind of religious/cultural reason or just being able to afford the "best". But I can tell you that the vast majority of women would rather have VS1 and a larger stone than VVS clarity (and a lot of them would choose below VS1).

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
RockyRacoon|1425670784|3842965 said:
Here is an AGS000 with IF clarity and D color, for a better price than the options you had listed:

2.06ct, D, IF
http://www.whiteflash.com/loose-diamonds/round-cut-loose-diamond-3007544.htm

If you're looking for 'best of the best' in every way, this would be it.

Oh my gosh!!! I didn't set my search parameters to IF!!! Absolutely this is as good as it gets and likely higher cut quality than all the stones listed by the OP!!!

enhasa

Rough_Rock
Hi, thank you for the responses!

Yes I know there is a huge markup on these diamonds. These are diamonds by Harry Winston, so it's going to cost a lot more simply because of the brand name. They are able to offer some sort of concessions, and are also willing to ship the ring to Hong Kong for pick up so I get to save on taxes as well. The designs come with 2 tapered baguettes, which increases the costs as well. But yea I understand it's still a huge mark up. My soon to be wife is kinda insistent on a brand name though, unless I can go >3 carats.

So even with a cloud or feather in a VVS, I should be fine? What worries me more is that on the 2nd diamond, the inclusions are not entirely shown. Could it be at the edges that may cause the diamond to be more prone to cracking?

So out of these 4, you guys recommend the 2nd one as well? It is the cheapest after the first diamond. I'm also tempted by the 3rd and 4th diamonds, but I am not sure if it's worth paying about 15 to 20k more for a diamond that's pretty much very similar in size.

Between these 4 diamonds, do you think the difference between a D or E color will be noticeable, especially with the baguettes on the sides?

Is it obvious to the naked eye as well in a 0.1 to 0.2mm difference in the diameter of the diamond?

Thanks for sending me the links to those other diamonds as well. I will show it to my girlfriend and see what she thinks of them.

KobiD

Shiny_Rock
Of those you listed, based purely on the numbers I like #3. Less weight caught up in total depth, as well as in the girdle; faces up largest. Middle of the ideal proportions, and a nice small table. Safe bet.

That stone from WF would be an absolute beauty though!

enhasa

Rough_Rock
KobiD|1425679273|3843034 said:
Of those you listed, based purely on the numbers I like #3. Less weight caught up in total depth, as well as in the girdle; faces up largest. Middle of the ideal proportions, and a nice small table. Safe bet.

That stone from WF would be an absolute beauty though!

Thanks!

The price difference between #2 and #3 is about 10k. Do you think the difference is worthwhile?

Prices for these rings are:
120k, 132k, 140k, 145k

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
#2 has the best angles and the safest for buying without idealscope images. Can they possibly supply you with magnified images of the stones? There are no color or clarity issues with any of these. And there is not enough size difference in 3 and 4 to be worth the extra money since the angles are not quite as desirable as #2.

You could certainly get a non-branded 3 ct diamond easily with your budget. But maybe not D-E VVS. The thing is, F VS1 is going to look exactly the same to anyone looking at the ring but a size increase is far more noticeable. However, if 2 cts is the size she is comfortable with, clearly money is not an object, so these may be your best choice.

enhasa

Rough_Rock
diamondseeker2006|1425682235|3843062 said:
#2 has the best angles and the safest for buying without idealscope images. Can they possibly supply you with magnified images of the stones? There are no color or clarity issues with any of these.

You could certainly get a non-branded 3 ct diamond easily with your budget. But maybe not D-E VVS. The thing is, F VS1 is going to look exactly the same to anyone looking at the ring but a size increase is far more noticeable. However, if 2 cts is the size she is comfortable with, clearly money is not an object, so these may be your best choice.

I don't think they do any magnified images or ideascope. I tried bringing this up once, but she seemed confused as to what I was asking.
I will be seeing the rings this weekend, so I will take pictures of them! :)

3 carats is definitely better, though it will also depend on the setting. She tried 3carat Tiffany setting at Tiffanys and it didn't seem as nice on her because her fingers are small, but the HW and Cartier 3carat rings look gorgeous, just that I can't afford those.

As long as the budget is kept within these limits (140k is the absolute max I can spend), then it is fine, but I can't go up any higher :(

So visually, it is really hard to tell apart the colors? And the clarity will not affect the looks / glow of the diamond?

I am open to going with a jeweler other than those big brands, but at the same time because I have never done this before, I am worried about getting ripped off and problems with the purchase, especially if I cannot see the diamond / ring or final product in person before buying.

RockyRacoon

Brilliant_Rock
enhasa|1425682659|3843066 said:
#2 has the best angles and the safest for buying without idealscope images. Can they possibly supply you with magnified images of the stones? There are no color or clarity issues with any of these.

I don't think they do any magnified images or ideascope. I tried bringing this up once, but she seemed confused as to what I was asking.

3 carats is definitely better, though it will also depend on the setting. She tried 3carat Tiffany setting at Tiffanys and it didn't seem as nice on her because her fingers are small, but the HW and Cartier 3carat rings look gorgeous, just that I can't afford those.

As long as the budget is kept within these limits (140k is the absolute max I can spend), then it is fine, but I can't go up any higher :(

So visually, it is really hard to tell apart the colors? And the clarity will not affect the looks / glow of the diamond?

I am open to going with a jeweler other than those big brands, but at the same time because I have never done this before, I am worried about getting ripped off and problems with the purchase, especially if I cannot see the diamond / ring or final product in person before buying.

I can understand the pull of a big name, and if that is what your wife-to-be must have, then you are right to try to stick with those parameters.

However, if she sees the Whiteflash stone, realizes it is superior in every way (color, clarity, and cut) to any of the HW options, and is comfortable with an expert of bespoke craftsmanship (like Victor Canera, who DS recommended) creating a hand-forged setting, then I think it makes more sense to go with the Whiteflash option.

The result will be a superior product, for less money.

enhasa

Rough_Rock
RockyRacoon|1425684621|3843077 said:

I can understand the pull of a big name, and if that is what your wife-to-be must have, then you are right to try to stick with those parameters.

However, if she sees the Whiteflash stone, realizes it is superior in every way (color, clarity, and cut) to any of the HW options, and is comfortable with an expert of bespoke craftsmanship (like Victor Canera, who DS recommended) creating a hand-forged setting, then I think it makes more sense to go with the Whiteflash option.

It is not a must have, though it is desirable.

That whiteflash stone is really really nice! There is no way to see that stone in person though right?

With regards to the color and clarity, does it make any visible difference to the naked eye of most people?

Thanks!

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

RockyRacoon

Brilliant_Rock
enhasa|1425686096|3843087 said:

That whiteflash stone is really really nice! There is no way to see that stone in person though right?

With regards to the color and clarity, does it make any visible difference to the naked eye of most people?

Thanks!

Whiteflash actually has a video of the stone, if you scroll down a bit. That is probably the closest you're going to get to in-person, unless you travel to Texas!

Color definitely makes a visible difference to the naked eye (although less-so when we're talking about the colors you're after), but clarity is far less obvious (unless it is an SI1 or lower graded stone, at which point, inclusions MIGHT cause light performance issues). An IF stone will look identical to a VS1 stone, to the naked eye. Even many VS2 and some SI1 look identical to an IF stone, with the naked eye.

enhasa

Rough_Rock
RockyRacoon|1425686592|3843095 said:
enhasa|1425686096|3843087 said:

Thanks!

Whiteflash actually has a video of the stone, if you scroll down a bit. That is probably the closest you're going to get to in-person, unless you travel to Texas!

Color definitely makes a visible difference to the naked eye (although less-so when we're talking about the colors you're after), but clarity is far less obvious (unless it is an SI1 or lower graded stone, at which point, inclusions MIGHT cause light performance issues). An IF stone will look identical to a VS1 stone, to the naked eye. Even many VS2 and some SI1 look identical to an IF stone, with the naked eye.

I see. Is whiteflash a reputable seller?
About the setting: is there any way we can have them make it identical to the way a HW ring looks?
I will try to do more research about this as well.

If we must pick 1 from these 4, which will you go with?

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Whiteflash is extremely reputable! My diamond studs are from there (plus a couple of custom pieces like a long diamond by the yard platinum necklace) and a friend of mine recently got a 4.5 ct diamond from them!

[URL='https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/my-4-5-ct-whiteflash-aca.210847/']https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/my-4-5-ct-whiteflash-aca.210847/[/URL]

I will tell you that the WF stone is likely more technically perfect than the ones at HW. HW and other high end brands do not specialize in top cut diamonds, although they are certainly usually very nice diamonds. I would buy a WF diamond unseen easily, because their cut quality is so consistently high that you just don't need to see them. As you can see in the diamond image and video, the stone is perfect.

As far as the setting goes, we know high end ring makers that make rings of the quality of HW, easily. I highly recommend Victor Canera who certainly does pave rings at the quality level of HW or better. I will look and see if he has any tapered baguette settings pictured.

https://www.victorcanera.com/

I have no problem with buying HW if the brand is that important to her. However, sometimes people think by paying those prices you are getting the very best quality. But that is absolutely not true in terms of diamond rings. That WF D IF is more valuable than any of those HW diamonds, and I'd bet the cut quality is better, too.

But #2 is still your safest choice of the diamonds above, and no, there is very little visible size difference between 8.1 and 8.2mm. I'd choose larger if the cut was exactly the same, but without idealscope images, #2 is least risky as GIA rounding means all of the angle measurements are not exact.

KobiD

Shiny_Rock
#2 has the best angles and the safest for buying without idealscope images. Can they possibly supply you with magnified images of the stones? There are no color or clarity issues with any of these. And there is not enough size difference in 3 and 4 to be worth the extra money since the angles are not quite as desirable as #2.

34.5/40.8 or 34.5/40.6 CA/PA combo. Both share a 56% table, a 15% crown height, and 43% lower half. I'd be inclined to say the lgf variation between the two would be more of a personal taste factor rather than the angles. In saying that, is it worth an 8G premium? I can't answer that. I'd never contemplate spending this amount of money on a rock, but that is me, and not the OP.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
KobiD|1425691991|3843131 said:

34.5/40.8 or 34.5/40.6 CA/PA combo. Both share a 56% table, a 15% crown height, and 43% lower half. I'd be inclined to say the lgf variation between the two would be more of a personal taste factor rather than the angles. In saying that, is it worth an 8G premium? I can't answer that. I'd never contemplate spending this amount of money on a rock, but that is me, and not the OP.

The issue is the 40.6 PA because it could actually be less than that due to rounding. That is a stone that would need an idealscope image.

pfunk

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Of the diamonds you have there and the info you have access to, I would vote #2. You won't see a size difference in stones 0.1mm different in diameter. Having said this, if it was my choice I wouldn't spend that kind of money on any of those stones. Crazy high prices. I'd drop down in clarity for sure. If you went to VS2 it would look the same to the naked eye and would not impact the stone's performance or durability at all. I would also go with the E color as I don't think you'll ever tell an E from a D when set unless you have remarkable eyes. There are beautifully cut E color stones in Vs clarity closer to 2.5 carats at half the price of what you are paying.

Have you compared clarity and color in person or how exactly did you come to decide you wanted such high color and clarity? Or is it just that you want to play it as safe as possible because you think going down in color or clarity equates to less beauty?

enhasa

Rough_Rock
diamondseeker2006|1425690740|3843122 said:
Whiteflash is extremely reputable! My diamond studs are from there (plus a couple of custom pieces like a long diamond by the yard platinum necklace) and a friend of mine recently got a 4.5 ct diamond from them!

[URL='https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/my-4-5-ct-whiteflash-aca.210847/']https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/my-4-5-ct-whiteflash-aca.210847/[/URL]

I will tell you that the WF stone is likely more technically perfect than the ones at HW. HW and other high end brands do not specialize in top cut diamonds, although they are certainly usually very nice diamonds. I would buy a WF diamond unseen easily, because their cut quality is so consistently high that you just don't need to see them. As you can see in the diamond image and video, the stone is perfect.

As far as the setting goes, we know high end ring makers that make rings of the quality of HW, easily. I highly recommend Victor Canera who certainly does pave rings at the quality level of HW or better. I will look and see if he has any tapered baguette settings pictured.

https://www.victorcanera.com/

I have no problem with buying HW if the brand is that important to her. However, sometimes people think by paying those prices you are getting the very best quality. But that is absolutely not true in terms of diamond rings. That WF D IF is more valuable than any of those HW diamonds, and I'd bet the cut quality is better, too.

But #2 is still your safest choice of the diamonds above, and no, there is very little visible size difference between 8.1 and 8.2mm. I'd choose larger if the cut was exactly the same, but without idealscope images, #2 is least risky as GIA rounding means all of the angle measurements are not exact.

I think for her, brand is pretty important, unless I go up in size if I go with a non-brand.
It is not so much about the "best" quality, more so about the branding I suppose. I know no one can tell the difference of a "brand" of a diamond, but the branded box makes it nice for posting pictures online :wall:
Or that a big diamond makes it nice for posting pictures online too........

So #2 is the best bet then on paper. I will take pics of the rings tomorrow :)
Dimensions for #2 is 8.08 - 8.11 x 5.01. Does this mean the diamond is "more round"?

What about a 0.2mm difference in diameter size? Is that when people are able to tell apart the difference in sizes then?

Thanks!

enhasa

Rough_Rock
pfunk|1425699111|3843187 said:
Of the diamonds you have there and the info you have access to, I would vote #2. You won't see a size difference in stones 0.1mm different in diameter. Having said this, if it was my choice I wouldn't spend that kind of money on any of those stones. Crazy high prices. I'd drop down in clarity for sure. If you went to VS2 it would look the same to the naked eye and would not impact the stone's performance or durability at all. I would also go with the E color as I don't think you'll ever tell an E from a D when set unless you have remarkable eyes. There are beautifully cut E color stones in Vs clarity closer to 2.5 carats at half the price of what you are paying.

Have you compared clarity and color in person or how exactly did you come to decide you wanted such high color and clarity? Or is it just that you want to play it as safe as possible because you think going down in color or clarity equates to less beauty?

HW only carry diamonds that are D to F color and IF to VS clarity.
I didn't want it to be specifically VVS clarity. I just told the sales to find me the best well cut ring in her opinion, and to preferably keep it at D or E, though F wouldn't make it difference either. And as to price wise to keep it at 140k max.

I am not sure how many rings she went through, but she came back with about 8 rings. These 4 have the lowest HCA, so I figured I consider them, but #4 is 145k so thats about 5k above my budget but not a dealbreaker if the diamond is really good. The other 4 had HCA scores about 3 to 4 so I passed on them.

I have not compared the rings in person. They are supposed to arrive tomorrow.

In a way, I am also trying to play it somewhat safe because I really don't know much about diamonds. In reality I know the cert doesn't really matter after a certain point (such as when clarity is at or above VS), but HW's selection is somewhat limited too.

Or do you think I should pass and try to find something that's say E or F color, VS clarity, with cuts that resemble #2?

Thank you all!

enhasa

Rough_Rock
diamondseeker2006|1425694679|3843150 said:

The issue is the 40.6 PA because it could actually be less than that due to rounding. That is a stone that would need an idealscope image.

Do you mind explaining how all these angle combos work? I am really confused :read:

HW does not carry ideascope images. I just asked the SA again and she said that is not possible.

enhasa

Rough_Rock

So you mean #3 is better cut than #2, just that it is not worth the 8k premium?

I understand what you mean by the price. The markup is indeed very huge but I think she likes the brand and this is a once in a lifetime purchase, I want her to be absolutely satisfied with it, rather than to be asking for an upgrade a couple years down the road.......... :wall:

KobiD

Shiny_Rock
enhasa|1425705282|3843225 said:

I understand what you mean by the price. The markup is indeed very huge but I think she likes the brand and this is a once in a lifetime purchase, I want her to be absolutely satisfied with it, rather than to be asking for an upgrade a couple years down the road.......... :wall:

I think based off the limited information I would prefer the #3 specs, but the reality is that you are probably unlikely to see much of a difference between any of those stoned with a naked eye.

Things you can't tell from the reports. The angles are an average of all the facets, and then rounded to the nearest .5 for the crown, or nearest .1 for the pavillion. The rounding can have an effect, and the averaging can impact on the optical symmetry of the diamond (ie, are all facets cut as close as possible to the same, or do they vary?). You won't know this unless if you can get images from of the diamonds. If you could get an ASET/IS image you'd then be able to evaluate the light return of the diamond as well as its symmetry.

If you can view the stones in person and have the opportunity to evaluate them both in varied lighting conditions, as well as under a microscope you may be able to determine which looks best to you. It's a lot of dollars to spend to trust someone else.

The other option is that you go with someone like WF, James Allen, GOG, etc, who WILL provide you with the additional information for peace of mind. Remember, White Flash's diamonds are branded.. just a different brand name.

To put things in perspective, just about everything thats listed here would fall in the top 5% of performing diamonds. None are going to be a dud persay. More money doesn't always equate to a better/more beautiful diamond. Shopping for what you find appealing does. In terms of clarity and colour, there isn't really any benefit to spending more just so you can say so, if you can't visually differentiate.

enhasa

Rough_Rock
KobiD|1425718939|3843260 said:
enhasa|1425705282|3843225 said:

I think based off the limited information I would prefer the #3 specs, but the reality is that you are probably unlikely to see much of a difference between any of those stoned with a naked eye.

Things you can't tell from the reports. The angles are an average of all the facets, and then rounded to the nearest .5 for the crown, or nearest .1 for the pavillion. The rounding can have an effect, and the averaging can impact on the optical symmetry of the diamond (ie, are all facets cut as close as possible to the same, or do they vary?). You won't know this unless if you can get images from of the diamonds. If you could get an ASET/IS image you'd then be able to evaluate the light return of the diamond as well as its symmetry.

If you can view the stones in person and have the opportunity to evaluate them both in varied lighting conditions, as well as under a microscope you may be able to determine which looks best to you. It's a lot of dollars to spend to trust someone else.

The other option is that you go with someone like WF, James Allen, GOG, etc, who WILL provide you with the additional information for peace of mind. Remember, White Flash's diamonds are branded.. just a different brand name.

To put things in perspective, just about everything thats listed here would fall in the top 5% of performing diamonds. None are going to be a dud persay. More money doesn't always equate to a better/more beautiful diamond. Shopping for what you find appealing does. In terms of clarity and colour, there isn't really any benefit to spending more just so you can say so, if you can't visually differentiate.

So in a way, #2 and #3 are really close, and won't be able to see a difference? Right now, I am torn between #2 and #3. #4 is nice too but it is really hard to justify the additional premium. I don't know if I should go with #2 or #3. #3 seems better, but I am not sure if I should pay 8k more for a 0.1mm difference plus slightly better specs.

They do not have any ASET images, so that's a risk I would have to take. I can only inspect the diamonds visually :(
They have a loupe but that's very limited in its use. Microscope, I think they probably have one, but I don't know how to inspect it via a microscope either.

I will try to look at it in various lightings, but the store has horrible lighting and it is not possible to bring it outside the store either for security reasons.

Yes, the diamond markup is a lot, and most of it goes to the brand name :(

So factoring both specs and price, which would u go with?

Thank you!

Sphene

Brilliant_Rock
Tell her Harry Winstons diamonds come out of the same mines as all the rest - for that money she could have the same size D IF or go lower and have up to a 6 carat stone. Good old Harry is only putting his stamp on a bit of gold or platinum.

And yep in a few months or years when she sees other peoples diamonds flashing more than hers she will be wanting an upgrade most of us do haha

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results