shape
carat
color
clarity

Please give me an opinion on this 0.71 E-VS1 diamond

JerrysNotHere

Rough_Rock
Hi everyone,

I just purchased the following diamond a few days ago from JA. This is my first purchase of a diamond/engagement ring.
My main concern is that from the zoomed in view, with the diamond facing you directly, there appears to be a fairly large feather at the 9:00 part of the diamond that is not noted in the certification. It also seems to be pretty close to the girdle which scares me. (The inclusion noted on the certificate is visible at 5:30 on the diamond when facing you) I understand that the diamond is a little deep and may have a slightly smaller face up size than preferred.

My selection preferences were heavily biased towards a very high cut value, then color > H, and an eye clean diamond. .7 carat minimum. How badly did I do? I paid ~$3800 for the diamond.

http://www.jamesallen.com/loose-dia...arat-e-color-vs1-clarity-ideal-cut-sku-550661

0.71 CARAT E-VS1 TRUE HEARTS IDEAL DIAMOND
CARAT WEIGHT: 0.717
COLOR: E
CLARITY: VS1
CUT: True Hearts Ideal
POLISH: Ideal
SYMMETRY: Ideal
FLUORESCENCE: None
L/W/D (MM): 5.70*5.72*3.56
L/W RATIO: 1.00
DEPTH %: 62.30
GIRDLE: Thin - Slightly Thick
TABLE %: 55.60
CULET: Pointed
CERTIFICATE: AGS
CROWN angle: 34.70
CROWN %: 15.40
PAVILION angle: 40.70
PAVILION %: 43.10
AGS Cut Grade 0-0-0
HCA = 1.2, excellent for everything, except for Spread which was Very Good.

FYI: It's getting put in this setting. The ring size will be 8.75.
http://www.jamesallen.com/engagement-rings/pave/platinum-pave-double-loop-engagement-ring-item-41144

Thanks in advance for any comments or advice.
-j

UrsTx

Brilliant_Rock
Hi J, - Quick question, did JA confirm before the purchase that it's a feather at the 9:00 postition? I agree that it looks like one but it's strange that AGS doesn't have it on the mapping since whatever it is appears to be larger than the actual feather that is mapped. Maybe it's something else? Maybe have an independent appraiser look at it for a second opinion once you receive it - esp for peace of mind?

JerrysNotHere

Rough_Rock
UrsTx|1436153107|3899374 said:
Hi J, - Quick question, did JA confirm before the purchase that it's a feather at the 9:00 postition? I agree that it looks like one but it's strange that AGS doesn't have it on the mapping since whatever it is appears to be larger than the actual feather that is mapped. Maybe it's something else? Maybe have an independent appraiser look at it for a second opinion once you receive it - esp for peace of mind?

I didn't confirm anything with JA before the purchase. (7/1) I was generally thinking that I'm ok with it as long as the diamond is eye clean and the inclusion doesn't become a durability issue. My reasoning/logic was that since it was a VS1 and wasn't noted on the report, it was probably pretty minor and difficult to see at 10x. (although that is hard to imagine looking at the size of the inclusion in question)

If the diamond arrives and the inclusion still looks pretty giant when I look at it through a 10x loupe I will seriously consider returning it.

Thank you for your thoughts and ideas! I will definitely be considering taking it to someone if it looks bad in person.

-j

decisively_unsure

Shiny_Rock
You should only just be able make out a VS1 inclusion with a 10x loupe, it will certainly be eye clean without.

pfunk

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I'm thinking maybe it is just a fiber on the diamond in the video? I don't think it is an inclusion or it would have been noted by AGS, as it is quite a bit larger than the other feather they plotted.

JerrysNotHere

Rough_Rock
Thank you everyone for your input. It makes me feel a lot better. Hopefully it is just a piece of fuzz or something.

I wish I had found this forum before I purchased this ring. It would have saved me a bunch of stress.

-j

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results