shape
carat
color
clarity

PLEASE ADVISE

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

maddie

Rough_Rock
Could anyone please advise if this spec on this diamond is worth the price below or are there better choices?

Thanks,

M

Spec - GIA CERTIFIED
--------------------

D
VS2
depth - 60.3%
table - 55%
Girdle - vtn-md-f
culet - no
symmetry - gd
polish - gd
fluorescence - faint
6.76-6.80x4.09
- $6622

hoorray

Ideal_Rock
The price seems reasonable. You can do a search above on similar stones to see the range.

However, this is not the way I would prioritize the 4C's, even tho I am color picky. I'd bump down the color and possibily the clarity to E-G and SI1 and put your focus on an ideal cut stone. An ideal cut stone will face up more white than a non-ideal cut, and will sparkle much more. D color costs a premium because of it's rarity, not because the color looks significantly different than colors in the colorless or near colorless range. And, as long as the stone is eye-clean, why pay for clarity that you can't see?

This stone is an example of a guaranteed beautiful stone, and I'm sure there are others out there that are comparable. This stone is another possibility. You need to know the full cut details when you consider them. Without the crown and pavilion angles you really don't know anything about the stone's potential for light return.

There is good tutorial info on this site and several of the vendors' sites that can tell you more about hte importance of the cut quality.

Good luck, and come back with more questions!

squirerad

Shiny_Rock
Seems to me like you can certainly get a better deal from another online vendor. It would be a better cut and bigger carat and you would have to sacrifice on the clarity and color, but likely without noticing any difference.

Here's a couple from Blue Nile:
1.28 G/SI1 Ideal cut
http://www.bluenile.com/diamonds_details.asp?pid=LD00233869&query=2&filter_id=0

and

1.26 G/SI1 Ideal cut with Ex polish/ Ex symmetry
http://www.bluenile.com/diamonds_details.asp?pid=LD00210026&query=2&filter_id=0

With a better cut stone, it will appear whiter in the face up view and possible be eye clean. You can call most of the online vendors on PS including BN and ask them to view at the stone for you to ensure that it's eye clean (ie no visible inclusion to the naked eye viewing from ~a foot away).

squire

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Well... have you seen the stone?

Given the stats like this, it is straight forward for me to compare stats with stats and fall for the stones with the best descriptions. Is the one you describe offered online? I still think it is desirable to have more info at hanbd - since even in person it is best to judge a stone with good reference (or personal experience) and it may be more straight forward to ask the seller to give you such choice rather than take up a second job to get experience judging diamonds
2.gif

This may not be crucial, but cut does influence the price of diamonds, both for you and the retailer. So it makes sense to understand some of what he does, I would think. The proportions of this stone could have justified and AGS cert (it may have got a top cut grade, or maybe not...) - and there would already be a premium for the tbale/depth combination, even if this falls short of delivering the brilliance it is supposed to. There is no way to know more from the respective numbers, I think
read.gif

Not that the leap from D/VS2 to G/Si1 is not significant - only it is much more significant in price and o paper than in real life. This is why the good folk here considers G/SI better value, I suppose. If the stone you posted proves to have great light return regardless, well, things are great.

Just as ref, here's what the SI1 grade and ideal cut parameters do to two stones... LINK1 and LINK2 (the Ideal Scope pictures are more revealing than the sample for the first stone, of course).

Just my 0.2, of couse...

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results