shape
carat
color
clarity

Please advise on which Diamond 0.5 carat range.

ck7117

Rough_Rock
Please help to choose and tell me why you choose that. bear in mind all are loose stone. Im kinda very into the hca scoring. not sure heading to the right direction. which 1 will u go for?

1) GIA, 0.51 D IF. HCA score 1.1, depth : 60.8,table: 58, crown angle:34 , pavillion angle:40.8 , price 4.2k usd.
2) GIA, 0.50 D VVS1, HCA score 2.6, depth : 62.5,table: 56, crown angle:35.5,pavillion angle:40.8, price 3.6k usd.
3) GIA, 0.50 E VVS2, HCA score 1.7,depth : 62.2,table: 57, crown angle:34,pavillion angle:40.8, price 2.8k usd.
4) GIA, 0.55 D VS2, HCA score 2.6,depth : 61.7,table: 57, crown angle:35.5,pavillion angle:40.8,, price 2.8k usd.

on left 1st is item number 2, and the most right is item number 1.

img_5286.jpg

MarionC

Ideal_Rock
Premium

#1 - overkill on color & clarity

#2&#4 stay under HCA 2.0

but you will want to post more specific info/photos, etc to get opinions

If you can afford to spend 4200 would you consider going larger? or do you want 1/2 carat?

ck7117

Rough_Rock
Thanks a lot for the opinion and reply.

The main reason still sticking to 0.50 range is because of it look a bit huge even 0.5, so no plan to go more than 0.5. That's y im ok to even putting high spec like option 1 on 4.2k usd. But i still considering, putting so much money diff for d and if is it really worth it. btw i updated detail specs. I dont really have any photo for all this.

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
ck7117|1406628964|3722408 said:
Please help to choose and tell me why you choose that. bear in mind all are loose stone. Im kinda very into the hca scoring. not sure heading to the right direction. which 1 will u go for?

1) GIA, 0.51 D IF. HCA score 1.1, depth : 60.8,table: 58, crown angle:34 , pavillion angle:40.8 , price 4.2k usd.
2) GIA, 0.50 D VVS1, HCA score 2.6, depth : 62.5,table: 56, crown angle:35.5,pavillion angle:40.8, price 3.6k usd.
3) GIA, 0.50 E VVS2, HCA score 1.7,depth : 62.2,table: 57, crown angle:34,pavillion angle:40.8, price 2.8k usd.
4) GIA, 0.55 D VS2, HCA score 2.6,depth : 61.7,table: 57, crown angle:35.5,pavillion angle:40.8,, price 2.8k usd.

on left 1st is item number 2, and the most right is item number 1.

Hi CK and welcome!

Firstly, do I take it that you want such high colour and clarity for personal or purity reasons? If so, that is of course absolutely fine, but I just wanted to mention you could lower both without visual sacrifice if the cut quality is superb.

Assuming your preference is for D IF/ VVS/VS then I would personally concentrate on numbers 3 and 1 initially in order of preference without images, with number 4 being a possibility but I would definitely want an image for that one due to the angle combo. Without images such as Idealscope, any help we can give you is pretty much limited to the above unfortunately, the three I picked have definite potential but without images to evaluate how well the proportions work and overall cut precision, that's the most meaningful info we can get for now.

teobdl

Brilliant_Rock
I think one should either fully commit to rarity (D IF hearts and arrows super ideal cut) or get the biggest diamond that looks very close to that but costs the same (H SI1 near hearts and arrows).

Most opt for the latter. By nature (literally) the former is harder to find. I do think D IF will be much more valuable over time.

teobdl

Brilliant_Rock
http://www.briangavindiamonds.com/diamonds/diamond-details/0.415-d-if-round-diamond-bfg-11155

http://www.briangavindiamonds.com/diamonds/diamond-details/0.560-d-if-round-diamond-bfg-11219 my choice

http://www.bluenile.com/diamond-details/LD04135909?keyword_search_value=LD04135909

Blue nile has a handful of other good ones. Search D IF Signature Ideal there.

If you're committed to D IF with perfect cut and those don't meet the criteria for some reason, I'd call Good Old Gold and see what they can bring in.

FYI, if you want to go the other route of lowering color and clarity to maximize size, an H VS2-SI1 is about .85 ct in that price

SirGuy

Shiny_Rock
Hi there and welcome!

I know there is a lot of information out there and it can be a bit daunting. You're in the right place though for getting friendly help in making an informed decision.

I like the size of the stones you're considering. Many knowledgeable buyers consider cut quality over weight, and with good reason.

Among the four you listed, I like #3 the best. However I'd request images if you can get them (e.g. Ideal-Scope and ASET).

Lorelei brings up a good point. The color and clarity you're considering is very good. Is this a very important consideration to your selection?

I like to think of the four C's as sliders, like on a sound board. Dial up and dial down. Each affects price and it's all a compromise. Cut is arguably the most important; it'll have the greatest impact on how well the stone shows its color and clarity in light return, in a phrase we call "light performance."

If that high clarity and color are important, and you don't want to go much bigger than 0.5 carat (probably around 5.2mm generally), then we can help find the best cut stone in those parameters.

You have fine taste and this should be a fun adventure. :wavey:

ck7117

Rough_Rock
I think at most I can only see by 10x magnifier. Don't think I could get any ideal scope photo of the real diamond. Would the Gia clarity characteristic help? I can post that too. Basically I'm more concern on the color than clarity but because the d if option 1 having the lowest hca that's y I'm siding to that stone more, but still thinking is it really worth the extra 40% compare to option 3. As the hca score both below 2

ck7117

Rough_Rock
SirGuy|1406634559|3722442 said:
Hi there and welcome!

I know there is a lot of information out there and it can be a bit daunting. You're in the right place though for getting friendly help in making an informed decision.

I like the size of the stones you're considering. Many knowledgeable buyers consider cut quality over weight, and with good reason.

Among the four you listed, I like #3 the best. However I'd request images if you can get them (e.g. Ideal-Scope and ASET).

Lorelei brings up a good point. The color and clarity you're considering is very good. Is this a very important consideration to your selection?

I like to think of the four C's as sliders, like on a sound board. Dial up and dial down. Each affects price and it's all a compromise. Cut is arguably the most important; it'll have the greatest impact on how well the stone shows its color and clarity in light return, in a phrase we call "light performance."

If that high clarity and color are important, and you don't want to go much bigger than 0.5 carat (probably around 5.2mm generally), then we can help find the best cut stone in those parameters.

You have fine taste and this should be a fun adventure. :wavey:

Thanks in advance but shipping malaysia is quite hectic and on top probably need to pay tax and duty. And can't see the stone, so probably prefer to buy locally. Unless u have dealer in malaysia, I be definately like to see what u can propose. :)

teobdl

Brilliant_Rock
Okay, in that case, you need to use the only tool that matters: your eyes. Look at all the diamonds, examine them in different light and from different distances, and pick which one you like best. If they're pretty equal, go with the cheapest.

We are giving you advice on theoretical potential based on 4 averaged and rounded numbers from a real object with 57 individually cut and polished sides. Just being honest: there is little we can do to help you further without additional information like an idealscope image.

In the end, its your eyes that will tell you what looks good.

OoohShiny

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Wink Jones (on this forum) from High Performance Diamonds has several 'Crafted by Infinity' diamonds in that sort of range that may be of interest:

0.51 E VS1 $3183
http://www.highperformancediamonds.com/index.php?page=view-id-diamond-infinity-new&id=1054

0.53 E VS1 $3308
http://www.highperformancediamonds.com/index.php?page=view-id-diamond-infinity-new&id=1053

0.53 F VS2 $2903
http://www.highperformancediamonds.com/index.php?page=view-id-diamond-infinity-new&id=1017

You and your other half will be very happy with any of those!

You won't be able to tell any difference between IF and VVS2 (and probably VS1) in real life, and equally you will struggle to see a difference between D and E (or even D and F) in real life, so if neither of the above links appeal, #3 of your list looks like the best option (in my opinion) and you could then spend the money saved on a pair of matching quarter carat earrings :)

ck7117

Rough_Rock
Looks like first option to go with is option 3 then come to option 1, and option 2 and 4 stay out of it due to hca score above 2. In conclusion, 50% additonal price for option 1 will not worth for 1 level higher of color + 2 level higher of clarity + 0.01 carat + 0.6 point better on hca.
actually is it possible to capture a photo from idealscope? maybe i will try that.

1) GIA, 0.51 D IF. HCA score 1.1, depth : 60.8,table: 58, crown angle:34, pavillion angle:40.8 , price 4.2k usd.

OoohShiny

Ideal_Rock
Premium
ck7117|1406690231|3722919 said:
Looks like first option to go with is option 3 then come to option 1, and option 2 and 4 stay out of it due to hca score above 2. In conclusion, 50% additonal price for option 1 will not worth for 1 level higher of color + 2 level higher of clarity + 0.01 carat + 0.6 point better on hca.
actually is it possible to capture a photo from idealscope? maybe i will try that.

1) GIA, 0.51 D IF. HCA score 1.1, depth : 60.8,table: 58, crown angle:34, pavillion angle:40.8 , price 4.2k usd.
Either of those will be excellent colour and clarity :)

As you say, it will be virtually impossible to tell 3 from 1 once it is mounted and on the finger, and you save a lot of money!

If you can, I would look at both diamonds next to each other - look under different lights, including a flat, cloudy daylight (if possible) as that will confirm for definite whether you can see any very slight tint in the E. I think it is unlikely!

It is possible (but not easy) to get photos of idealscope images, give it a try!

The cut of the diamonds will play a major part in how they look, though, so ultimately you will have to go with which one 'speaks' to you :)

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results