shape
carat
color
clarity

Platinum v. White Gold

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

wonka27

Brilliant_Rock
I am going to get a classic tiffany style setting for my g/f''s engagement ring.

Originally, I was going to go with yellow gold w/ a platinum head. The jeweler I am going to use told me I should use a white gold head. I was suprised, because I know WG head rings are cheaper than the platinum. She said WG is more durible.

Am I getting correct information on this subject?

Patty

Ideal_Rock
Hmmm. I'm having a new head put on my yellow gold wedding band. I went with platinum instead of white gold because my jeweler recommended it so strongly. Also, I felt like my old white gold head had turned yellowish. (Although it may have just been the reflection of the yellow gold ring.)

ame

Super_Ideal_Rock
I too would say platinum, but for the whole thing. I am super biased though.

ame

Super_Ideal_Rock
----------------
On 7/16/2004 2:16:49 PM Patty wrote:

Hmmm. I'm having a new head put on my yellow gold wedding band. I went with platinum instead of white gold because my jeweler recommended it so strongly. Also, I felt like my old white gold head had turned yellowish. (Although it may have just been the reflection of the yellow gold ring.)----------------

It is yellow because all white gold really is is a white'd down version of yellow gold that is rhodium plated. The reflection probably just made it look more yellow.

fancycoloredfan

Rough_Rock
Platinum is more durable than white gold. If it was up to me, I'd say go with the platinum.

But, if you go with white gold, make sure it's palladium white gold - not nickel white gold. I was told (and have read about this) that nickel white gold can be affected by chlorine (swimming pools, hot tubs, laundry detergents etc.) and a prong can eventually break/deteriorate if you wear your ring 24/7 while doing all of the above.

-Ariana

wonka27

Brilliant_Rock
Thank you, Ariana for that little bit of extra info.

Definately good to know :)

Patty

Ideal_Rock
----------------
It is yellow because all white gold really is is a white'd down version of yellow gold that is rhodium plated. The reflection probably just made it look more yellow.----------------

I know what white gold is. My suspicion is that the rhodium plating had worn off my prongs although like I said, it may have simply been the reflection of my ring.

I prefer white gold to platinum in almost all cases EXCEPT for this one...if it's a stronger head and it will never turn yellow, then it's worth the extra money.

chialea

Brilliant_Rock
----------------

It is yellow because all white gold really is is a white'd down version of yellow gold that is rhodium plated. The reflection probably just made it look more yellow.----------------

Yes, it's all "white'd down", but it depends on the alloy how much yellow would show. Palladium is sometimes used as an alloy because it shows up very white, and does not need a rhodium plating mask.

rms

Brilliant_Rock
You definitely will hear all sorts of things that tend to confuse and contradict, which happened to me. If you read some on the different metals (well, by that I mean constantly search for info on the web, or talk to various jewelers, people, metallurgists, engineers...which is what I did), one thing to note is that platinum is a softer metal, such that if it bends or scratches, the metal itself is simply displaced/dislocated, rather than gold, which when scratched or worn for a long long time wears away. I am an engineer, so that makes sense to me. Platinum is more chemically resistant than white gold, which is a key reason people like it and don't worry about it so much. I have had some jewelers tell me that they prefer white gold by far over platinum, because of it's strength. Others have said platinum over and over again. I think you'll likely hear more people tell you to go for platinum than gold, but ultimately the choice is up to you. I am going with platinum. In the beginning, I swore I would go with yellow gold because I am a fan of yellow gold. But I decided on platinum for my wedding stuff for various reasons, even though all my other jewelery (like bracelets, necklaces, earrings) is yellow gold.

Good luck.

Hest88

Ideal_Rock
Whatever you decided for the shank is okay. The head should be platinum though. Plat is a more durable metal and will protect the stone better. If your jeweler is reluctant to use plat she's probably not familiar enough with it.

wonka27

Brilliant_Rock
Wow, thank you everyone for your advice.

It really seems to boil down to personal preferences, like everything else in the world. I guess both have pros and cons. I guess I will have to think more about it.

Good thing for me is that this is just a classic tiffany style I'm talking about with a WG or platinum head...so price wise...it is not huge huge difference.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results