shape
carat
color
clarity

Platinum Ring Sizing

craiguk

Rough_Rock
Bit of a dilemma here...we got my GF sized up yesterday in a random store using the ring sizers. A size K (5.25 US) seemed a little loose and just looked too big on her finger but the J (4.75) looked slightly tight - she also didn't like the indents it created. The obvious answer is to go in the middle at a J 1/2 (5.0) which to me looked about right and the GF said it felt comfy. Problem is that two sales assistants have both said to go for the smallest J size but we feel different.

The J 1/2 went on well but took a little bit of coaxing to come off. The sizing bands were quite thin ( i would guess at 2mm) whereas the setting I have chosen is approx. 2.8mm.

The ring is coming from Whiteflash so whilst it wouldn't be the end of the world if it was slightly out it would just be a real pain as I'd need to pay for shipping to the US. Another thing to consider is that we're most likely going to move abroad next year to a much sunnier (and significantly hotter) climate and I believe heat can change your ring size.

Also, does it really matter? The size differences look negligible to me.

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Gosh, I would consider going up to the 5.25 because of your band being 2.8 plus when you get/put the wedding band on it
is going to push the ering out a little further on the fleshy part of the finger. Heat will definitely make fingers swell, so
that is another reason you might want to go ever so slightly bigger.

And yes, size does matter :cheeky: !

Winks_Elf

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
I can wear anywhere from a 5.75 to a 7 depending on the weather (my fingers swell up in the hot, humid summers here in NJ), so I always go with the largest size (7), even though come winter my rings will be ready to fall off. You can definitely see a gap between my ring finger and pinky because of the size. The reason is if I don't get the 7, I won't be able to get my rings on or off in the heat of summer, or when sitting next to the fireplace in winter. My solution is to have an insert style ring guard for the winter months, or wear additional bands with it in winter. The wider the band, the snugger the fit, so by adding another 2-4mm to the stack, it doesn't fit so loosely. Even though my engagement ring has a delicate shank (around 2mm), and my eternity band is 2.4mm, the two combined are about 4.4mm, which fits loosely but comfortably much of the year.

I would never recommend that a client go with the snuggest fit on a ring because many women (not all) will gain and lose water weight depending on the time of the month, climate, salt intake, etc. From the sounds of how the ring fit her, the J 1/2 would be the right choice for comfort...especially after the wedding band is added. Once you move, she may want to go up to the 5.25.

Texas Leaguer

Ideal_Rock
Trade
craiguk|1442240716|3927543 said:
Bit of a dilemma here...we got my GF sized up yesterday in a random store using the ring sizers. A size K (5.25 US) seemed a little loose and just looked too big on her finger but the J (4.75) looked slightly tight - she also didn't like the indents it created. The obvious answer is to go in the middle at a J 1/2 (5.0) which to me looked about right and the GF said it felt comfy. Problem is that two sales assistants have both said to go for the smallest J size but we feel different.

The J 1/2 went on well but took a little bit of coaxing to come off. The sizing bands were quite thin ( i would guess at 2mm) whereas the setting I have chosen is approx. 2.8mm.

The ring is coming from Whiteflash so whilst it wouldn't be the end of the world if it was slightly out it would just be a real pain as I'd need to pay for shipping to the US. Another thing to consider is that we're most likely going to move abroad next year to a much sunnier (and significantly hotter) climate and I believe heat can change your ring size.

Also, does it really matter? The size differences look negligible to me.
Hi Craiguk,
You are receiving good advice here. It's better to err on the side of larger rather than smaller for the reasons other posters have mentioned - larger width, wearing with matching band, eventual move to a warmer climate, etc.

Sheerah will be reaching out to you today with a more detailed recommendation based upon your situation and the specific item you have chosen.

And let me take this opportunity to say Thanks!

craiguk

Rough_Rock
She has indeed and confirms the same so I've gone with the 5. Thanks everyone - that's the final piece of this puzzle solved. The rest should be plain sailing from here.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results