shape
carat
color
clarity

Platinum ring questions

Lookinghard

Rough_Rock
I recently got a platinum e-ring, but accidentally dropped in on the ceramic bathroom sink from about 10 inches. This made a noticeable dent on the side of the ring. I didn't think it dents this easily, I specifically asked the alloy to be ruthenium, which I thought would make the ring extra hard and resistant to dents and scratches. Is this normal?

Also, the platinum ring is a cathedral style ring, but the inside of the cathedral isn't polished at all. It is possible to polish the small spaces inside a ring? Do jewelers have a pen tip sized polisher to polish the hard-to-reach surface areas of a setting?

Thanks for any insight.

ame

Super_Ideal_Rock
It should've been polished better than that. But yes platinum can dent, that might not seem like a big drop to you but the amount of force that it created can definitely dent the ring, regardless of alloy.

WinkHPD

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Lookinghard|1414155821|3772036 said:
I recently got a platinum e-ring, but accidentally dropped in on the ceramic bathroom sink from about 10 inches. This made a noticeable dent on the side of the ring. I didn't think it dents this easily, I specifically asked the alloy to be ruthenium, which I thought would make the ring extra hard and resistant to dents and scratches. Is this normal?

Also, the platinum ring is a cathedral style ring, but the inside of the cathedral isn't polished at all. It is possible to polish the small spaces inside a ring? Do jewelers have a pen tip sized polisher to polish the hard-to-reach surface areas of a setting?

Thanks for any insight.

In theory the inside of the cathedral should have been polished prior to adding the head to the ring. This is often not done to save a few pennies or from a lack of caring when doing an inexpensive stock piece.

To polish it now requires the use of a thick thread or strip of cloth impregnated with the polishing rouge and pulled laboriously back and forth until a level of polish has been obtained. It can take a lot of time to do correctly. (And is rarely as nice as if it had been done prior to putting in the head.) It often requires the thread or strip of cloth to do correctly anyway, as the "V" of the cathedral where it joins the ring is hard to polish properly in any case.

Fortunately, the only one likely to ever see this cost/time saving measure is you.

As Ame has correctly stated, any ring can be dented when dropped onto a hard surface.

Wink

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results