shape
carat
color
clarity

Platinum ring broke while resizing-do I worry?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

dajust

Rough_Rock
My fiances Platinum ring broke in the 9 o'clock position while hammering/reshaping after sizing the ring down. That is what my jeweler told me. He fixed the break by soldering and you can't tell by looking at it, but should I be concerned about its integrety. Does this happen occationally? He has 20 years experience and runs a reputable shop.

Thanks experts

dajust

Rough_Rock
Thanks, that puts me at ease.
Question #2 would you hesitate resizing this ring again. BTW It'a rather narrow band 2.8mm with a 1.01ct round.

allan creates

Rough_Rock
That is not the jeweler''s fault as nobody can predict what is going to happen with a cast ring in platinum. I posted a comment on the existance of bad platinum castings last night.
See it under
Advice please, I''m freaking out!

Platinum that is not heated to a bright sunshine brilliance way over 2,500 degrees to be cast may look good but may not be. Many times in the shops the jeweler finishing up a job may encounter the same problem when just rounding up a ring causes cracks and they just patch it up and put it through.

As there are no moving parts in a ring they get away with it, unless you happen to hold on to something that stresses the shank enough and you get the same thing as happened to the jeweler.

The same happens to the claws if you just happen to hit them just right there they go to.

Hand wrought avoids all that.
Some times cheaper isn''t always the least expensive.

Allan Creates
ringlock.com

PhillipSchmidt

Brilliant_Rock
Dave,

Plat castings don''t split open, (that I know of), but assembled pieces are often resized - esp'' stock items. Old ones with tension (from hammering) open up often especially under heat. Where the brake was, dictates what happened. It is rare to size a ring except at 6 o''clock, but that depends if the hallmark was made at 9 o''clock as it sholud have been?

Not one to cast shoddy plat or one to know of it... I''d say the last one to resize the ring hammered it to far and created undue tension.

1 size (Aus/EU/UK - much less in US sizes)is max, but to charge for a plat'' piece (to piece the ring); to add to the band, frightens those who like to be inexpensive. It costs a lot in scrap - refiners not included...

dajust

Rough_Rock
Thanks for all your comments, I should mention if it helps, this was a Whiteflash ring. Sleek Lines platinum solitaire. It is new and this was the first time being sized. Should I request a new one?

PhillipSchmidt

Brilliant_Rock
Someone from Whiteflash might chime in here... You may get a call. I know they stand by their work!
Hi Dave,

I personally couldn''t answer you about the sizing and breakage as I don''t know enough to accurately guess what happened. I can be pretty sure the casting was done right though, as I figure WF have it down to a T.

Have you got a digital camerra with macro? I suppose it is too late now but that would help.

I think if the ring is fine now then that''s ok. You could speak to Whiteflash - tell them what happened and see what they say.

I seem to know too little to give advice so I have a few questions, if you don''t mind:

1) Did it break with you or with the jeweller?

I believe it broke while being sized under a hammer. If so the sizing WF did, broke appart. (They would not have every size and pre-size most rings - that is, if you gave them a size. Therefore:

2) How many sizes up did it have to go?

Not sure about US sizes by heart, but 1mm is pleanty by hammer - more then that should be pieced. They do break, such is platinum solder joins... That might be a bit more then a 1/4 of a Us size, I think.

3) Was it a clean break?

Most likely it was the jeweller who last sized its'' fault, though fault is a strong word. It happens, but the fact he told you instead of just fixing it (if he opened up an existing solder joint while hammering) is sort of unusual. I''d mention it too, I guess, but not in a way to lay blame if this makes sense.

4) Did he can the ring because it broke?

Platinum solder joins break neatly, unlike gold.

If you know the answers then you have the answers to your question, but tell us more and many people here can settle any missgivings (or create some) if that helps.

Cheers,

Phillip

dajust

Rough_Rock
Here is all I know.
The ring is new from Whiteflash
Size 7.0 ordered
Actual size somewhere between 7 1/4 and 7 1/2
The stone I bought elswere so I had it mounted, then sized(to a 7.0) after I gave it to my fiance
It broke at the jewlers while hammering he said. Not a crack. It "broke " he said around the 9 o''clock postion. He then soldered/welded it using platinum solder

dajust

Rough_Rock
I did contact WF on friday(two days ago) and was told I''d hear back from them by tomorrow 5/2. I''m very happy with WF and its customer service so I''m sure they will be glad to remount it for me on a new and correct sized ring if that''s what should be done.

dajust

Rough_Rock
Whiteflash are you listening? Didn''t hear from you today as promised.

LesleyH

Brilliant_Rock
Hi Dave:

I am sorry to read of the problem you have had with the ring. I do know that when rings are shipped out of WF they are checked very carefully by our quality control team. I would like to check tomorrow as to why the ring was apparently sent out the wrong size. We do let customers know that we cannot guarantee the ring if it is set or sized elsewhere. Over the years we have had a few other cases of this happening when work is done elsewhere. We would like you to go ahead and send the ring back so that we can take a look at it. Please call in tomorrow during business hours (9 - 6 CT) and we''ll get the ball rolling.

LesleyH
www.whiteflash.com

PhillipSchmidt

Brilliant_Rock
Please call in tomorrow during business hours (9 - 6 CT) and we''ll get the ball rolling.

TCW = 15ct?

Lesley, not everything is measured in carats.

What is a slip like that called?

2.gif

LesleyH

Brilliant_Rock
Hi Philip:

Sorry, maybe I have lost my "English" edge but please explain........

LesleyH
www.whiteflash.com

LesleyH

Brilliant_Rock
Hi Dave:

I figured - over the years I''ve learnt a whole lot of them from Garry, but I don''t get this one
1.gif

LesleyH
www.whiteflash.com

Maxine

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 5/3/2005 10
6.gif
1:52 AM
Author: crankydave

Date: 5/3/2005 9:56:43 AM
Author: LesleyH
Hi Dave:

I figured - over the years I''ve learnt a whole lot of them from Garry, but I don''t get this one
1.gif

LesleyH
www.whiteflash.com
Lesley, here''s where it''s coming from...

(9 - 6 CT)

You meant CENTRAL TIME, right? and PS didn''t understand that......

LesleyH

Brilliant_Rock
Thanks Maxine and Dave - my official interpreters
21.gif

I thought I was losing my mind!

LesleyH
www.whiteflash.com

Maxine

Brilliant_Rock
Sooooooooooooooo , it is PHILLIP who thinks in terms of carats!!! Hmmmmmmmmmmm.....

belle

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 5/3/2005 6:56:37 PM
Author: Platinumsmith
Ha ha ha

A Phillipism, all things converted to Carat Weight
now we know!
34.gif

hope your ring story has a happy ending dajust
1.gif

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
Sounds like a happy ending. That was funny about CTW, LMAO!!!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results