shape
carat
color
clarity

Platinum ring bent

princesultan

Shiny_Rock
Hello everyone,

So the ring I bought my fiancee is completely out of shape after about 1 month of usage. The ring was a bit too big at first so the jeweler made it smaller but adding some platinum to it (not sure of the exact process), it took about 30 minutes for the resizing and we were on our way.

It's basically a Harry Winston cushion replica with diamonds on the band and she noticed that 1 of the small diamonds was missing. Then she noticed the ring was completely bent, almost like a diagonal oval shape. Do you think this is because of the resizing? He said he'd take care of it, but I just want to know if anyone has any other explanations.

mandasand

Brilliant_Rock
Wow...that really stinks. Platinum is actually stronger than white gold but it's still considered a "soft" metal. I am curious how much did you go up/down in the sizing and did the jeweler warn you about it becoming misshaped or if the melee would fall out if it was resized?

I don't think we ever got to see pictures of the ring either and we would love to see after going through the journey with you to find the right cushion!

distracts

Ideal_Rock
Premium
How thin is the shank? If it is very thin, or relatively thin with micropave, it is very easy for the ring to get bent out of shape during daily activities when the hand encounters resistance, such as opening a door, gripping a steering wheel, lifting something heavy (and "heavy" could be, for instance, a bag of groceries or her purse - it doesn't have to mean something REALLY heavy), etc. If she sleeps with the ring on, there is added pressure there - I have seen a lot of threads where people's rings got bent because they were sleeping with them on.

So in conclusion, I don't think it is bent out of shape because of the resizing, but likely due to something that happened in the course of wear. Though the diamond that fell out could be due to resizing - it is not recommended to resize pave rings at all, and especially not recommended to resize them DOWN, as the tightness of the tiny prongs/beads will never be quite the same, which puts you at increased risk of losing stones.

StacylikesSparkles

Brilliant_Rock
Normally when a ring bends in an oval shape, the ring is actually too large. You may need to take her to be sized again and have the ring made even smaller to fit properly.

princesultan

Shiny_Rock
it was sized down about 1 size. it was actually still too big afterwards (it was turning over still), so maybe it was that that was the issue.

i'll try and get a picture up when i can.

StacylikesSparkles

Brilliant_Rock
That is definitely the issue. The ring will go out of shape if it is too large. I would have her sized at a jeweler and then have the ring adjusted.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results