shape
carat
color
clarity

Platinum-plated white gold for wedding band?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

major_newbie

Rough_Rock
Hello,

My finance and I looked at bands at a local jewler. The one she likes is available in either platinum (~$1200) or 14K white gold that the jewler said he would plate with platinum (~$800). He said the plating would wear off in a few years but that it could be re-plated for a low cost. He said we probably wouldn''t even notice once the plating had worn off because the color difference (between the plating and the underlying gold) isn''t that great. In the store, I couldn''t really tell the difference between the white gold rings and my finance''s e-ring, which is platinum.

I''ve been doing some searching here and I don''t see much mention of this practice, although plating things with rhodium sounds common. Has anyone heard about plating white gold w/ platinum? Is this a good idea?

Thanks,
MN

Garry H (Cut Nut)

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
there is no such thing as platinum plating - only rhodium.
Yes it will wear off - on a wedder --- in months it will be all gone.

at that price difference the platinum is a bargain.

It will probably go up a lot now that Zimbabwe is privitising 51% of the platinum miners companies - they will pull out and the worlds 2nd largest reserves might sit idle.

Platinum has a very soft gentle color as you obviously know

moon river

Brilliant_Rock
I''m glad you clarified Garry. I''ve never heard of platinum plating. Thought I may have missed it somehow.

sistagrl2004

Shiny_Rock
Date: 3/19/2006 4:12:33 AM
Author: Garry H (Cut Nut)
there is no such thing as platinum plating - only rhodium.
Yes it will wear off - on a wedder --- in months it will be all gone.

at that price difference the platinum is a bargain.

It will probably go up a lot now that Zimbabwe is privitising 51% of the platinum miners companies - they will pull out and the worlds 2nd largest reserves might sit idle.

Platinum has a very soft gentle color as you obviously know

I was just flipping past QVC and they mentioned their Epiphany "platinum clad" line.. Not that I plan on purchasing.. but what''s the deal? Are they calling rhodium plating platinum??

indecisive

Brilliant_Rock
Hmmm, Quest told my bf that they could plate the ring in platinum as well. I didn''t think it would be worth it since it would wear off over time and I assued it would be more than rhodium plating. I wonder whats up that all these jewelers are offering it. Any other experts wanna chime in?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results