shape
carat
color
clarity

Platinum metal thinning?! HELP!!

katdavis

Rough_Rock
I have no idea what happened! I baredly just noticed this today. Not sure if it’s been like that or it just happened. I don’t remember it being like this. Has something like this ever happened to your platinum ring? I’m usually careful with my hands.. So I don’t think I banged it hard or anything. How can this be fixed?! Would they use platinum metal to add on or some other type of metal? I’m so sad about this. I don’t want them burning my diamond trying to add platinum because I heard the melting point of platinum is high enough to burn a diamond.

wthhh_1.jpg

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Do you wear it next to a diamond band?

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
No idea then.

Who did you buy it from.

Also I'm pretty sure the metal burning thing is an urban legend.

HopeDream

Ideal_Rock
Oh no! I'm sorry about your ring!

Wow! Do you wear your ring in the pool or hot tub? Platinum is generally inert, but the alloy that it's mixed with could be dissolved away by oxidizers like chlorine.

It looks kind of like chemical damage, where something goopy caught there and stayed and dissolved the metal over time, but it could also be a flaw in the alloy.

Do you use beauty products or hand creams with acids in them (ie. alpha hydroy acid and others), or spend a lot of time with your hands in acidic foods with your ring on? (ie. chopping lots of tomatoes, making kimchi or homemade pickles etc.)
Or do other crafts or activities that have you submerging your hands in some thing that could be acidic or chemical? ( at home glass etching, furniture re-finishing, making homemade beauty products etc.)

I'd take the setting to the jeweler that made it and have a discussion about a possible re-make. Platinum is not supposed to do that. Especially in a low stress area like the under side of the basket. If there's a problem with your alloy, one of your prongs could be the next thing to dissolve.

I hope you can get it fixed. I'd want a whole new setting.
I have seen a diamond that was burnt when the ring's prongs were re-tipped by a careless jeweler. The basket is quite close to your stone, so make sure they unset your stone before doing any heat work on your setting, and then re-set it when the ring is fixed (or replaced).

pyramid

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I noticed that the band of your ring is made from hollowed out metal, maybe the setting is even thinner being a smaller diameter. Some jewellers have laser welders now and can repair platinum like that without heat, I believe they are expensive for a jeweller
to buy, so you would probably need to try some high end jewellers to see if they could help to repair the ring.

Karl_K

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
Gypsy|1411011214|3752947 said:
No idea then.

Who did you buy it from.

Also I'm pretty sure the metal burning thing is an urban legend.
There have been plenty of diamonds burned when repairing settings but it is rare these days.
Better educated bench workers and laser welders have made it less of an issue.
When it does happen it is usually melee that can't be removed without destroying the ring and they don't have a laser welder.

katdavis

Rough_Rock
I usually take off my ring for a lot of things because I don't like lotion/cream on my ring. I take it off when I cook and clean. And I always take if off when swimming. I just don't know how this happened.

arkieb1

Ideal_Rock
Premium
It looks like it has been smacked up against something.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results