shape
carat
color
clarity

Platinum chain with 18kt pendant?

orbaya

Brilliant_Rock
I'm leaning towards setting my BGD recut into the Barbara Martini which is 18kt white gold. I have a platinum bead chain and was wondering if it would be okay to wear the two together, or if the platinum chain would eat through the pendant? Ideally, I would use that chain and then have BG send me a rose gold chain instead of white gold. Going with the platinum setting is not an option.

Thanks!

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'd prefer the same metal just because they look different. I wouldn't worry so much about the wear unless the diamond is so heavy it is going to be causing the pendant to pull on the chain. On the other hand, I suppose you could keep the platinum pendant rhodium plated and then it probably would look fine with the pendant. So if you have a chain you aren't using, I think it would be fine.

We worry about all these things here, but my mom wore a wg diamond band next to her platinum rings for at least 25 years with no issues, so I think it takes a long time for significant wear to occur.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Over time, gold will be worn away but it's all right if worn occasionally for a few weeks until the replacement chain is received.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Gold will wear away rubbing against gold, too.

I know you said it is not an option, but if I wanted to wear the pendant with a platinum chain, I would get the platinum setting for the diamond. Then there is no problem. They could still send the rg chain and adjust the price.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
But I think less so when rubbing against a different type of metal.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Chrono|1356618542|3340658 said:

Probably so. I think she should get the pendant setting in platinum and then the whole problem is solved!

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Devious and enabling, aren't you? :lol:

orbaya

Brilliant_Rock
diamondseeker2006|1356618609|3340660 said:
Chrono|1356618542|3340658 said:

Probably so. I think she should get the pendant setting in platinum and then the whole problem is solved!

LOL! If you want to fund the price difference between the metals, then I'll be more than happy to get the platinum! :D

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Well, if I looked at the right one, it's only $200 more. In the overall scheme of things when considering wearing the pendant the next 50 years, I think that is a small amount. In that time, you'd probably have to have the setting replaced or repaired if it was white gold (and worn daily?). So I think you'd be paying for it eventually. (Plus they may reduce the price if you want a rg chain.)

But, if this is to be an occasionally worn piece (like I rarely wear mine), then I don't think the metals matter except for color and you can have the platinum chain rhodium plated.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
What length chain did you want? Come to think of it, I plan to have my pendant reset and may not need my 18k wg chain (17"). It has been worn about twice. Might be cheaper than a platinum setting!

orbaya

Brilliant_Rock
diamondseeker2006|1356619545|3340680 said:
Well, if I looked at the right one, it's only $200 more. In the overall scheme of things when considering wearing the pendant the next 50 years, I think that is a small amount. In that time, you'd probably have to have the setting replaced or repaired if it was white gold (and worn daily?). So I think you'd be paying for it eventually.

But, if this is to be an occasionally worn piece (like I rarely wear mine), then I don't think the metals matter except for color and you can have the platinum chain rhodium plated.

I don't have to wear a platinum chain, it's not big deal. Unfortunately I don't know if DH would go for an extra $200 right now. I see what you're saying but I've already blown the budget (by DOUBLE)! Originally I was just going to take the diamond to a local shop and set into a simple 4 prong solitaire setting. I think that was about $200. Then, I decided to do a recut at $350 and still get the simple setting. THEN, I decided to change that and go with the recut and a $585 pendant (after setting fee and longer chain were added in).

orbaya

Brilliant_Rock
diamondseeker2006|1356620318|3340686 said:
What length chain did you want? Come to think of it, I plan to have my pendant reset and may not need my 18k wg chain (17"). It has been worn about twice. Might be cheaper than a platinum setting!

I am ordering a 17" chain.

Ohhhhh..... if you are looking to sell it, I might be interested. I'd love to see a picture and a price if you are going to sell it.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Listen, I can SO relate! I spent more in 2012 on jewelry than I have in any one year ever! I would be afraid to add it up, honestly.

I do want to say that I think our stones are close in size, and I haven't been really happy with mine as a plain solitaire (bezel setting). I think I am going to have it reset with a small halo or something to make it have a little more presence. Sad to waste the setting I bought, but I am just not wearing it like I thought I might.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
orbaya|1356620483|3340690 said:
diamondseeker2006|1356620318|3340686 said:

I am ordering a 17" chain.

Ohhhhh..... if you are looking to sell it, I might be interested. I'd love to see a picture and a price if you are going to sell it.

It is the standard BG chain in 18k wg. I paid a little extra to get it 17". Here is my thread.

[URL='https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/brian-gavin-re-cut-and-milgrain-bezel-pendant-redesign.160887/']https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/brian-gavin-re-cut-and-milgrain-bezel-pendant-redesign.160887/[/URL]

We'd have to move this discussion to pre-loved in order to continue talking about it. We'd have to find out how much BG charges for the chain new in order for me to figure out a reduced price.

distracts

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think it would be fine. I have some white gold pendants and wear silver chains with them because I'm allergic to white gold but the pendant hangs on the outside of the shirt. I've had no problems, and I figure if I do I can just have a new bail put on and that's no big deal.

Which reminds me - I do actually have an 18" 14k WG chain that I'm not using that I'd be happy to send to you at no cost. It's the chain from this pendant: [URL='https://www.pricescope.com/forum/preloved-ps-jewels/sold-vintage-70cttw-old-cut-diamond-pendant-t182046.html']https://www.pricescope.com/forum/preloved-ps-jewels/sold-vintage-70cttw-old-cut-diamond-pendant-t182046.html[/URL] It's very nice but since I'm allergic to it I won't ever wear it!

orbaya

Brilliant_Rock
DS - Great! Let me know. I'm placing my order today so I don't know if that is too soon for you.

orbaya

Brilliant_Rock
distracts|1356622861|3340727 said:
I think it would be fine. I have some white gold pendants and wear silver chains with them because I'm allergic to white gold but the pendant hangs on the outside of the shirt. I've had no problems, and I figure if I do I can just have a new bail put on and that's no big deal.

Which reminds me - I do actually have an 18" 14k WG chain that I'm not using that I'd be happy to send to you at no cost. It's the chain from this pendant: [URL='https://www.pricescope.com/forum/preloved-ps-jewels/sold-vintage-70cttw-old-cut-diamond-pendant-t182046.html']https://www.pricescope.com/forum/preloved-ps-jewels/sold-vintage-70cttw-old-cut-diamond-pendant-t182046.html[/URL] It's very nice but since I'm allergic to it I won't ever wear it!

distracts - that is a GORGEOUS pendant!!! :love:

Oh my gosh.....you are SO sweet!!!! You don't have to give me a gold chain for free!! I'd like to give you something for it!

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Can you ask them the price of the wg cable chain, 18k, 17"? It's not too soon. The chain is just sitting in a box!

Oops..just read the next post! Free is very good! (Looks like a different style, though, so just email me through my loupetroupe listing 1.58 ct diamond if you change your mind.)

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results