shape
carat
color
clarity

Platinum and Tungsten wedding bands

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

MG

Rough_Rock
wavey.gif

Just ordered my wedding bands. They are making it out of a Tungsten and Platinum alloy. Anyone know if this is good?

Got mine (6mm x 2mm, size 9 1/2 16g) for $1300 Australian.

21.gif

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Tungsten and Plat... I am shocked! Who makes them?

Didn't know such an alloy exists...

derekinla

Shiny_Rock
I am going to guess that you're getting a Tungsten ring with a platinum inlay. Am I correct? Tungten is the hardest metal used to make rings and therefore keeps it's polish better than any other metal or alloy. Platinum, on the other hand, can easily aquire fine scratches so you might have to get the inlay repolished at some point. Titanium, in contrast to tungsten, is a much lighter alloy but is also fairly scratch resistent (although tungsten is still better).
2.gif

boonerings

Shiny_Rock
Hmm, a platinum and tungsten alloy should be possible. They are from the same part of the periodic table and have somewhat similar properties. Both have high melting points, and both are seriously heavy metals! Being that platinum is over $900 per ounce, it can't be cheap if any significant portion is platinum. Sounds like a bear to machine. (Relatively soft stuff with hard particles in it, sort of like sand mixed with silly putty.) I'd be interested in the alloy composition percentages and finding some of that.

karenb

Rough_Rock
Hi MG,

We just picked up my fiance's Tungsten ring (without plat), and he loves it. We would have gotten a Tungsten w/ plat inlay, however, from what we learned, it's easier to scratch the plat than the tungsten and the plat shows more "wear and tear". However, he does like to work with tools and is always working on one project or another so there is more risk to the ring.
9.gif

Here is a site we found helpful when researching tungsten rings...and it provides price ranges.

Karen

MG

Rough_Rock
The final alloy mix is 95% platinum and 5% Tungsten. Most platinum rings are made with a Platinum/ Palladium alloy. Palladium is an ultra soft metal.

The final platinum / Tungsten alloy is about 4 to 5 times harder that the palladium version.

I was alos concerned about scratches etc. but thems the breaks I suppose.

The final ring is attached as a file... Nice and plain - yet with a touch of class.

Well I like it...

MG Ring1.jpg

derekinla

Shiny_Rock
WOw, very nice.
2.gif
It's the first that I've heard of a Platinum/Tungsten alloy.
rolleyes.gif

pablor

Rough_Rock
Your ring looks nice!! Do you know who does this same alloy in the US?

PhillipSchmidt

Brilliant_Rock
I have heard of the tungston alloy, it is the hardest alloy, ruthenium alloy is next.

I haven''t worked with it but I imagine it is harder to produce and probably hell on your tools. Not a problem for your wedder as it was machined, but it would have to cost more to make an e-ring with this alloy in manufacturing because of tool wear and extra time. I have no idea if it solders well (and what the flow temp'' is), can be fused, or if a lazer welder is the only way to go.

They use either ruthenium or cobalt alloy here for casting and often coper alloy for stock. The best alloy is 900 Plat'' 100 Iridium IMO.

Interestingly rhodium can be used to. I''d like to see some of that.

Good post. It looks like your ring has a very high polish. It might be the best substance for wedders on the market?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results