shape
carat
color
clarity

Plat vs White Gold... How much more would you pay?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

2danes

Shiny_Rock
Hi,

I am in a long waiting process, since I am recovering from a finger surgery that will leave my ring finger naked for a while.

Before surgery I had to have my rings cut off, I am biding my time by planning a reset of my original ering.

I am in LOVE with the danhov split shank/halo that JA sells, but the cost is staggering.

My wedding band, original ering, and eternity band are platinum, my wedding band and eternity band are now on my RH, and will probably NEVER fit on my left hand again. I am considering having my diamond reset into that danhov setting, but the price of platinum is way out of our reach, so if I got the danhov, it would have to be white gold.

My other option is to have my ering set into JA''s split shank halo ring (not the danhov.) The price difference is enough that I could have that setting done in platinum. The danhov makes my heart sing, but the price difference is 2000.00. Sadly, I''m of the school of thought that if it''s more expensive, it must be better...

Does anyone have any thoughts? Would you choose the white gold over the platinum?
I"ll see if I can post pics.

2danes

Shiny_Rock
I''m dumb with pics, and can only post one at a time, I''ve also posted these before, so excuse me if I''m being redundant!
20.gif

Here''s the basic James Allen split shank halo. This one in platinum would be similar in cost to the danhov in white gold.
Here''s the top view:

Attachments

• PLtopviewJA.gif
    3.9 KB · Views: 258

2danes

Shiny_Rock
duh, sorry, forgot to attach

Attachments

• PL-sideveiwJA.gif
    3.7 KB · Views: 259

2danes

Shiny_Rock
Now, I must say that I really LOVED that ring until I found the Dahnov, which I love, something about the side view really gets me.
Here''s the Dahnov ring from the top, and yes, I''m aware that the center stone shown is about 4 times the size of the other center stone... (tee hee.)

Attachments

• WGtopviewDHJA.gif
    8.6 KB · Views: 260

2danes

Shiny_Rock
And the side view:

Attachments

• WGsideviewDHJA.gif
    4.7 KB · Views: 258

Muss

Shiny_Rock

There is no shortage of threads discussing this topic, if you do a search you will have enough to keep ya busy for awhile.

This is a quickie to get you started http://engagementrings.pricescope.com/wgvsplat.asp

For what is worth, I am nearing my purchase date and I am going to go with a Plat ring. Why? Because I like that is heavier, a little more durable, will last forever and the hypoallergenic quality factors in as well (but you can get WG mixed with alloys other than Ni to get the same hypoallergenic effect). Although I think I have a pretty good set of logical reasons I want to get Plat, when it comes right down to it I think plat is cool so I want to get it for her.

That being said, the prices of plat are going up like Iowa corn in July and I was lucky enough to start the process a while ago so I am getting a good price. Even though I want plat, I WOULD NOT forgo a setting I liked better just because it was WG unless I had to (allergy to Ni).

At the end of the day, I would never want to have a plat ring I liked and not have the WG ring I loved. Ya know?

2danes

Shiny_Rock
Thanks for your quick reply Muss,

I''ll start digging into the pros and cons.

Like I said, I''ve got time, but the time thing makes me worry too, like what if the price continues to soar,
and should I really go into deeper debt and maybe get my cake-and-eat-it-too, so to speak.

Anyways, off to check out other threads...

pixley

Brilliant_Rock
They're both beautiful settings, but I actually like the James Allen one more (probably because I like the cathedral airspace). If everything else you wear is platinum, I'd go with plat, even if it requires a little time to save up because I really don't like the way white gold yellows and requires replating over time. It would drive me bonkers.

Allison D.

Ideal_Rock
Honestly, I''d choose palladium instead. To me, it''s the best of all worlds.

It is white looking (more like white gold) but never needs to be replated. It''s harder than platinum, so it''s very scratch resistant.

It''s typically priced in between the two, as well.

JSM

Brilliant_Rock
If you love platinum, go with that!

I personally am not a fan it (I honestly don''t like the ''patina'' that it acquires), but if that''s what you like and are familiar with, I don''t think you''d be satisfied with white gold.

Maybe you can save an extra few months then get what you REALLY want?

Itgirl76

Shiny_Rock
I would go with the PLAT, I like that it is heavier and stays more of that grey colour. I love both of your settings that you chose they are beautiful...i like #2 a little better.

Also on a side note in the last few years I have just gotten a severe allergy to white gold I get a rash and a bunch of blisters on my finger. I wasn''t allergic before I could wear white gold all the time...but something in my body chemistry changed...I am also allergic to alot of food items and some animals as well...that could give you an indication of the future

niceice

Brilliant_Rock
The reality is that both 18k white gold and platinum are excellent options, however if spending the extra money for platinum is a viable option, I would personally choose platinum because it is more durable and I like the way it patina''s with age. I chose platinum for my fiancé Valerie because she kept trashing the white gold that she was wearing, she still trashes the platinum but it takes longer
2.gif

I also like the heavier feel of platinum jewelry... but with the soaring cost of gold and platinum, there is certainly no shame in either option. I know a lot of people are turning to palladium as an option, I just haven''t been able to wrap my mind around the look of palladium, it''s so stainless steel to my eyes. Of course, it took me awhile to get used to titanium and tungsten and now I actually like the look of it. To each their own I suppose!

DiamondGirlHH

Shiny_Rock
I personally prefer the look and feel of the Platinum as well but as many here mentioned the price of platinum is still so high. Last time I was checking the prices Palladium was actually lower than 18K gold but it feels so light compare to the other two.

If money is not an object or there is a little difference between the gold and platinum then definitely platinum but when the price does not justify then palladium would be my second choice...I just can''t take that plating the gold once or twice a year...

Heather

UCLABelle

Ideal_Rock
Personally, if you can afford to have the platinum (and do not mind a slight patina), I would go with the platinum. I prefer the weight of it, and the slightly different white.

Ice Princess Cristy

Shiny_Rock
My preference is platnium. I couldn''t imagine my ering any other way based on look, duarbility, heaviness..... that being said, it is a preference and I know many that are perfectly content with their white gold. Sooooo.... what do you like better and what will make you happier every time you look at your ring. If you compromise now on the metal, will you be ok with that later? I think it''s best to go with the metal that you like better than to go for the setting..... everytime I see new settings, I ALWAYS fall in love with another.....

PS.... both rings are gorgeous, I like the 2nd more though too!

Diamond*Dana

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Those are beautiful settings, I like #1 best
30.gif
30.gif
!
I prefer white gold over platinum. I just do not like the patina that platinum gets...I have a friend that has been married for less time than I, has platinum wedding set and it looks so much older
32.gif
. I do like the weight of platinum, though.

Honestly though, I would go with the setting that you love more, not just settle for another based on what metal it is made out of.

2danes

Shiny_Rock
Thanks everyone so much for your responses!
I''ve decided that if I go with the setting that I LIKE and get it in platinum,
OR if I go with the setting I LOVE in white gold, I''ll always be just a tad disatisfied.
Looks like I"m going to have to save for a lot longer to get my dream setting (#2 in platinum.)
Sadly, it''s 2000 more than we wanted to spend, but, I guess if I look at it, what''s 2000 more if it''s a forever ring?
(Can''t mention any possible upgrades to DH just yet...
31.gif
)
I am worried about developing a nickel allergy. That would be heartbreaking... I have no jewelry in white gold, so I''m
not sure how my skin would react.
Darn you platinum prices!!!!!

2danes

Shiny_Rock
AND darn you waiting!!!!!!
I think I''m also going to get my orignal ering fixed (it had to be cut off due to a broken finger and torn ligament...)
and wear it on my left hand.
I miss my little sparklies...
39.gif

I''m sure that my new setting will be worth waiting just a bit longer.

snopeopl

Rough_Rock
I think you should get what you really want if you can find a way to swing it financially. I have found that when I have settled for something just because it was cheaper, I ended up regretting it, and wishing I had spent the extra money and gotten what I really wanted. If you end up having to replace it down the road because you''re not really happy with it, then you''re going to spend more that you would have if you just bought the original preferred item. I hope this makes sense!

I decided to get platinum over white gold because I didn''t want to deal with the periodic re-plating thing.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results