shape
carat
color
clarity

Plain band(s) to wear with my Aurora

dreamer_dachsie

Super_Ideal_Rock
So I am keeping my Aurora (for now 8) ) and I want to get one or two plain bands to stack with it. I don't presently have a wedding band so I also need it to wear when I don't want the bling.

I am waffling a little about metal and width.

Should I shell out for platinum or just go for white gold?

Should I go for 1.5mm or 2mm?

Thanks for the help!

Dandi

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Do you have pics of either with your beautiful Aurora? My vote would be for the 2mm, it's what I wear and I loooove it. Plus I think they look so sweet worn alone. 1.5mm (in my very humble opinion) is just a leeeetle bit too tiny, and methinks your Aurora is definitely substantial enough to wear with the slightly wider band.

Looking very forward to pics now :bigsmile:

Mayk

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Dreamer.. I am so glad you are keeping it.... so much less tempting for me... so awesome for you!!! :appl: :appl:

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I would go for platinum because my body tend to discolor white gold very quickly and I wouldn't want to be bothered with replating. I also love the color of platinum.

rubybeth

Ideal_Rock
You know, I'm not sure I'd get an entirely plain band to wear with the Aurora. I'm thinking a bit of milgrain would help tie in the band's design with the Aurora's underside, and add a bit more interest.

This one is 3mm: http://www.e-weddingbands.com/store/product106301.html

But you can find a 2mm 18k versions: http://www.weddingjewelrywebstore.com/wedding_band_32018kw.htm

Or one with milgrain on the band and not just the edges: http://www.etsy.com/listing/82950086/womens-wedding-band-in-14k-rose-gold (avail. in 14k white gold)

stargurl78

Ideal_Rock
I would go for 2mm. I have 1.5mm bands and I think they would be a bit too thin to be paired with your beautiful Aurora. I vote WG because I think for a plain band that is supposed to be smooth and shiny, the patina of platinum would drive me bonkers.

mrssalvo

Super_Ideal_Rock
I think 2mm would look great, and I'd do the same metal as the Aurora.

ame

Super_Ideal_Rock
Ooh ooooh get 2 1.5s and wear one on either side, same metal as the aurora.

purplesilk

Brilliant_Rock
No band with your Aurora... unless you want to damage the milgrain edge!

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
purplesilk|1323194772|3075384 said:

Very, very good point!

I do love milgrain wedding bands, though! I want about 2 different sizes including a wide, standalone band. I'd get 2mm to wear as a band with another ring.

purplesilk

Brilliant_Rock
diamondseeker2006 said:

Very, very good point!

I do love milgrain wedding bands, though! I want about 2 different sizes including a wide, standalone band. I'd get 2mm to wear as a band with another ring.

I love milgrain bands too but I was thinking to the damage that any band would cause to the Aurora because the Aurora's shank has milgrain edges.

chicam

Shiny_Rock
Hang on a moment.... Are we talking about the beautiful Aurora Dreamer bought off of another PS'er (don't remember who) couple of weeks ago? Dreamer were you considering getting rid of it? I must have missed that one.

Having said that, that Aurora needs nothing else. It is perfect just as it is. IMO.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
purplesilk|1323195598|3075402 said:
diamondseeker2006 said:

Very, very good point!

I love milgrain bands too but I was thinking to the damage that any band would cause to the Aurora because the Aurora's shank has milgrain edges.

Yes, I agree. I wouldn't wear another band with it, either.

mrssalvo

Super_Ideal_Rock
I'd probably still do the bands, if you like the look. I get that it has the milgrain edge but you can't even see it in the picture across the top of the finger. It may have to be redone at some point but with platinum it seems like it wouldn't be too difficult. Of course if you want to make sure you don't lose any of the milgrain than I agree with the others that no bands would be the best thing.

dreamer_dachsie

Super_Ideal_Rock
chicam|1323201343|3075480 said:
Hang on a moment.... Are we talking about the beautiful Aurora Dreamer bought off of another PS'er (don't remember who) couple of weeks ago? Dreamer were you considering getting rid of it? I must have missed that one.

Having said that, that Aurora needs nothing else. It is perfect just as it is. IMO.

I bought it three months ago, but thanks for the cheeky comment :lol:

dreamer_dachsie

Super_Ideal_Rock
I thought I would update this thread with my decision.

I ended up finding a band at a local pawn shop that I think goes perfectly with my Aurora. It is an 18k white gold band, 2.3mm wide soft knife edge ring, about 2mm tall. When paired with my Aurora it just covers the gallery, which is perfect for me since it is not a view I appreciate about this ring (it is very prongy). I love the way the rings looks together, somehow more "finished" and complete than the Aurora on its own.

I will repair the milgrain on the Aurora is it wears, or remove it entirely if that makes sense. This ring is meant to be worn, so a little wear is fine by me! I aslo don't care if the white gold band wears down either, since it was not pricey (about half retail, love the pawn shops!).

auroraband1.JPG

auroraband4.JPG

auroraband2.JPG

mrssalvo

Super_Ideal_Rock
I like it too!!!

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Love the new band!

Sundial

Ideal_Rock
Your new plain band looks great next to the Aurora! I really like the look.

blueiris

Brilliant_Rock
I like your new band with your Aurora. It looks really good! When I wear my 5-stone ring on my left hand I usually pair it with my plain platinum wedding band, for a similar look to yours (though not as bling-y as your Aurora!) Great find, Dreamer!

Enerchi

Super_Ideal_Rock
Beautiful choice Dreamer! Looks lovely with the band (hides the part of the Aurora that you said you did not like) and since it was such a good deal, maybe the pawn shop approach could yield other potential plain bands - a YG? a RG? ... oooh, endless options :cheeky:

I also agree with your thought that rings are meant to be worn and enjoyed - totally! Enjoy them! We can repair/replate/redesign... whatever gives us pleasure when we look at and live with our treasures! :D

swingirl

Ideal_Rock
I love the bands together. Very pretty contrast between the smooth knife edge and the sparkly Aurora!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results