shape
carat
color
clarity

Photo of fluorescent diamond (see inside)

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
----------------
On 6/25/2004 11:44:54 AM Rank Amateur wrote:

Anybody but me and researcher think it looks hazy in the first pic? Especially compared to the second, 'low light' photo.

I suppose it could be the focus.

----------------

Hi RA-

I couldn't see any haziness myself when I had it in the sunlight. I tend to think it's the picture. The blue is only visible like that when the light catches it just right, and the camera may have been having a hard time focusing with the strong backlighting. I noticed that nothing about that photo came out as crisp as most of the other pics with more ideal lighting. I'll definitely look at it again and try to get some more pics.

Edited to add: By the way, I believe researcher was referring to the picture of the Asscher, not the stone that the thread is about...

kpebbles

Shiny_Rock
hi quaeritur,

do you find that the stones with medium to strong blue flourescence are more expensive, or do they come at a discount? i was under the impression that they were discounted, but maybe not anymore..

quaeritur

Brilliant_Rock
Hi kpebbles-

I hear that medium or more fluorescence is discounted in the high colors, though in the sizes I've been looking at (ie. smaller stones) there hasn't been a really noticeable difference. In lower colors, stones with fluorescence tend to command a premium, because it helps them look whiter.

WinkHPD

Ideal_Rock
Trade
The price difference in this size is small, and less than it would be in a carat plus stone.

This stone is what used to be called blue white back in the old days, a colorless stone that show a blue color out of doors. Too many hacks started calling even very yellow stones blue whites, so the FTC made the very name illegal to use as a vendor. Although from your picture this stone should probably be called a lavendar blue white...

Wink

researcher

Ideal_Rock
After seeing your stone, Quaeritur, I desperately wanted to see one for myself. So, I called around and found a vendor who had a 3.87 ct "E" with strong fluorescence. It was so gorgeous! The only funny thing was it looked fake. But, it was still spectacular. I now think I want to get a colorless stone with strong fluorescence for a pendant. I think that would be a stunner! Thanks again for posting such a beautiful example!

zeytoun

Rough_Rock
Quite right about synthetic diamonds and flourescence, Capt. Aubrey. Seems that flourescence has to do with the crystal structure, and is occasionally associated with some kinds of transparant and colored graining. Since synthetic diamonds are grown using a seed plate, their crystal structure is actually somewhat different than a natural diamond. So they often flouresce in less common colors, especially green, and often with unusual patterns, like handled crosses and octagonal shapes.

chialea

Brilliant_Rock
----------------
On 6/26/2004 1:43:28 PM zeytoun wrote:

Quite right about synthetic diamonds and flourescence, Capt. Aubrey. Seems that flourescence has to do with the crystal structure, and is occasionally associated with some kinds of transparant and colored graining. Since synthetic diamonds are grown using a seed plate, their crystal structure is actually somewhat different than a natural diamond. So they often flouresce in less common colors, especially green, and often with unusual patterns, like handled crosses and octagonal shapes.----------------

hmm... I thought the proces that Gemesis was using had that, but the CVD diamonds didn't. am I mistaken? just curious...

quaeritur

Brilliant_Rock
----------------
On 6/25/2004 11:04:54 PM researcher wrote:

After seeing your stone, Quaeritur, I desperately wanted to see one for myself. So, I called around and found a vendor who had a 3.87 ct 'E' with strong fluorescence. It was so gorgeous! The only funny thing was it looked fake. But, it was still spectacular. I now think I want to get a colorless stone with strong fluorescence for a pendant. I think that would be a stunner! Thanks again for posting such a beautiful example!----------------

Hi Researcher-

My pleasure, I'm glad you liked the pics
1.gif
! I'm psyched that you found that E strong blue fluorescent stone to look at -I bet it was awesome in that size! And by the way, I will be having this stone made into a pendant! (Great minds think alike, ey???
2.gif
) I'm hoping to find another fluorescent stone later this year/early next year for a tension ring...

researcher

Ideal_Rock
That's so great! And yes, the ring I saw was spectacular! I think I scared the woman though when I went to walk outside--I'd asked to see if I could see it in natural light, but I don't think she was expecting me to walk completely out of the store! Someone with a few years on me (or at least someone who looks a little older) wouldn't have worried her half as much, but because I look like a teenager the woman came running out after me--even though my purse was sitting on the counter! It was kinda humorous and I couldn't help but call the lady on it (she apologized profusely after admitting she was nervous I'd walk off with it).

At any rate, I found out that I do love that fluorescence!

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Cool
1.gif

What is called "blue" fluorescence ? IS it a consistent color or not exactly ? In theory, I know almost any color is there, but blue prevails. However, I've been told today that the "blue fluorescence" wording also accounts for violet down to purple tones - which sounds cool enough. Is it so?

quaeritur

Brilliant_Rock
I'm not postitive about how it's defined, but I think it refers to what color the stone actually appears under UV light. The stones I've looked at, ranging from faint to very strong blue fluor have all looked a sort of lavender-blue under UV light. It hasn't been so much the shade as the intensity that varies (hence the faint-very strong ratings). I have also seen a yellow fluorescent diamond -it looked yellow under UV light, and I once saw a cert for a stone that claimed it had "white" fluor. I wonder what that would look like...

Hope that answers your question...
1.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results