shape
carat
color
clarity

Phosphorescence of the Hope Diamond

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Richard Sherwood

Ideal_Rock
An interesting aspect of the Hope diamond, a 45.52 ct. blue (originally from the famed Golconda mine in India), is the presence of a very rare and intense phosphorescence:

"The Hope Diamond was known to have an unusual reddish-orange long-lived phosphorescence - i.e. when illuminated with ultraviolet (UV) light and observed in a darkened room, the Hope diamond would glow for many minutes after the light source was turned off, appearing like a hot coal from a fire. While this phosphorescence had been photographed, it had never been studied scientifically. Such phosphorescence, particularly with an intense red color, is a rare phenomena in natural diamonds." (http://www.physorg.com/news6027.html)

Isn't that cool? It's like this diamond is a mystery in so many ways.

I'd give a king's ransom (well, at least a cup of Barnies coffee) for a photo of that phosphorescence. Has anyone ever run across one? Anything similar?

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Can''t remember seeing a picture of Hope''s, but Ananova had a report about another large diamond (unspecified body color) displaying the same wild red-orage phosphorescence. A long time ago I posted the picture from that report somewhere aorund here.

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
... and you might owe that pint to someone already. SEE THIS

Never know what''s down this forum already.
2.gif

cflutist

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Rich, here is a picture I posted earlier:

Hope%20Diamond%20P5220430a.JPG

cflutist

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Rich,

Yes, the Hope Diamond was incredible to see. Got to see it when I was in DC
a few years back. In fact, everything in the Hall of Gems is a feast for the eyes.

strmrdr

Super_Ideal_Rock
that is way kewl :}

pad3006

Shiny_Rock
That is such an amazing stone, and to think someone use to own that and wear it around is just amazing to me.
Am I remembering correctly that it is on display at the Smithosian in Washington?

I have seen the Tiffany diamond too in NYC that is quite a sight as well
Thanks

Phil

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results