shape
carat
color
clarity

Petite Torchiere With Diamonds on Shank vs Original

rookie34

Rough_Rock
Hello PS'ers. After much research and debate I've decided on this Brellia Cushion (see link, 1.09 I VS2) and after exploring several options for the setting, I feel that the Petite Torchiere with diamonds on the crown will work beautifully with this stone.

I explored the option of the Fancy Torchiere, but imo it loses the fluidness of the platinum work on the shank, especially the pinch before the crown which I love. I inquired with Stephanie at GOG (btw working with her and Jon has been a top notch experience) if there is a version of Petite Torchiere that maintains the pinch at the shank with side diamonds, and apparently it has been done as a custom request and can be once more.

I have been going back and forth between the 2, and my significant other has no idea as this is a surprise for her and therefore I have no idea what type of setting she prefers. I've attached some photos and provided some links. Looking for feedback, suggestions, opinions, and anything to help with my indecisiveness!!

Stone:
http://www.goodoldgold.com/diamond/11241/

Video (stone selected on left, being compared to a 1.03 H VS2 on right)
http://youtu.be/x_EIfIhg6LM

I think you are familiar with the Petite Torchiere if you are interested in my post, but if not find it on Mark Morrell's website:
http://www.mwmjewelry.com/

See the attachments for the custom version with side diamonds!

_22599.jpg

_22600.jpg

_22601.jpg

_22602.jpg

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I greatly prefer that ring with the plain shank, and then add one of MM's diamond wedding bands later. You really have to consider what the whole set will look like, and I think too many little diamonds will take away from the elegance of that design. I love his diamond wedding bands!

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
diamondseeker2006|1411391439|3755159 said:
I greatly prefer that ring with the plain shank, and then add one of MM's diamond wedding bands later. You really have to consider what the whole set will look like, and I think too many little diamonds will take away from the elegance of that design. I love his diamond wedding bands!

Ditto...the side diamonds kind of distract from the beautiful head on the setting. Plus, his platinum work looks like liquid
metal (so pretty) and you dont get to see that with the stones on the shank.

Get a matching diamond wedding band when the time comes. Best of both worlds!

Zoom

Rough_Rock
Plain shank, for sure! That way you can admire the fluidity of Mark's beautiful work :love: You can always get a wedding band with diamonds to amp up the bling factor.

HappyNewLife

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I prefer the plain shank too. I am not a fan of channel-set diamonds personally, so that's just my preference.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Plain shank here too.

rookie34

Rough_Rock
Thanks to everyone who chimed in...looks like its no contest lol!

I favor the plain as well, but a coworker suggested to me that the side diamonds will add a lot more sparkle and with all the halo and side stone (3 stone, pave, channel, etc) rings out there a plain shank could be underwhelming.

With this particular setting I agree that the side stones could take away from the beautiful fluidness of the "liquid platinum," and I think the plain will also better showcase the center stone.

I also appreciate the suggestions of adding more sparkle with a matching wedding band later - I haven't even started exploring wedding bands at all, and I am hoping Mark Morrell will have great options to go with the Petite Torchiere!

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock
Plain shank vote here too. I actually own one of these and it feels like liquid platinum too. I do not have another item of jewelry that feels quite so expensive or luxurious as my MWM, and I have a lot of jewelry in different styles, some covered in little diamonds and some without. I'd go plain shank every day of the week! Bling it up with a wedding band!

FancyIntense

Shiny_Rock
I agree with plain shank as well. It looks dated with the diamonds. I love MM settings :love:

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results