shape
carat
color
clarity

People with halos, any regrets?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

moobaby

Rough_Rock
Honestly before I had found PS I didn''t realize how popular halo rings were. But the more I''ve been looking at them the more I''m starting to love them. My concern is 10 or so years from now I don''t want to look at my ring and think that it''s outdated or out of style. What are you guys take/opinion on this?

diamondfan

Super_Ideal_Rock
I do not have one but I WANT ONE.

I think they are timeless on a certain level. Sort of vintage but modern too.

Skippy123

Super_Ideal_Rock
I think they have a timeless look to them but the most timeless classic look is the solitaire.

glitterata

Ideal_Rock
Halo rings have been around in one form or another for hundreds of years. I currently have one from the 1860s or so on my finger. But they''ve been especially popular among the people on this board for the past few years. I suspect in a few years they''ll seem very late-2000s, the way yellow gold and marquises seem very 1980s to us today.

As someone pointed out in a previous thread on this topic, styles go in and out of fashion. They may seem dated for a while, but then they might be hot again.

In the 1980s, my friend''s mother reset her mother''s (my friend''s grandmother''s) engagement diamond because the original 1920s setting, with lots of halo-style pavee, looked so dated. Now it would look like a wonderful, stylish antique. My friend wishes she had the original ring.

If you wait long enough, everything comes back into style, assuming it was attractive in the first place.

But if you don''t think you could bear wearing a dated-looking ring while you''re waiting for it to come back into style, you might be better off with a solitaire.

LGK

Ideal_Rock
Honestly, yeah. They might look dated. But if you love the style, why not? At worst, you might want to reset in ten years or whatever. Or you might love seeing a reminder of that period of time when you got the ring set.

I work customer service in an antique mall and I see a lot of jewelery every day. Most wedding / e-rings I see are pretty obviously original. Lots of yellow gold marquises from the 1980s, etc. I guess it's the sort of thing that sure, it might look of a certain period of time, but if it was beautiful to begin with, who cares? Sure, a solitaire is classic and will be less likely to date your ring, but I don't think that in itself would make me choose that style if I didn't want it particularly.

People thought Tiffany was hideous in the 1960s and lots got thrown away/sold at garage sales. My father in law put together an AMAZING collection of Rene Lalique glass from the 1920s at swap meets and garage sales in the '70s & '80s. Sure, styles go in and out but if you love it, that's the important thing!

Oh, and I don't think that halos are as popular as they may seem on PS; I see the occasional one IRL but they're pretty few & far between really. Though I guess maybe if you lined up a bunch of recently engaged women you might see more...

stone_seeker

Shiny_Rock
I love halos and everyone who has seen the ring loves it too....so long as its done classy and done as an accent to the main stone and not too big.

iluvcarats

Ideal_Rock
I don''t have any regrets. But I am not a solitaire girl - I like the detail.

Kelli

Ideal_Rock
Although I love solitaires myself, I am of the mindset that wedding jewelry doesn''t ever really go "out of style." A lot of people are sentimental enough that they don''t want to change their rings, and just because someone''s set looks like it comes from a certain era, doesn''t make it "dated" with that negative connotation that comes with that word. I wouldn''t ever look at someone''s set and think they should change it because it''s not in style. Also, I thought halos had been around for a long time. I see a lot on pricescope, but never in real life. I don''t think they are really quite as trendy as they seem in this community. AND I think they are beautiful! If you love them, go for it!

Catmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Absolutely no regrets here!

corgan

Shiny_Rock
I am in the works of getting a halo setting and I think it is so beautiful. Like others have said even if it does go out of style who cares? As soon as it is out it will be back in again.

icekid

Ideal_Rock
I''ve had mine for almost (wow) 3 years now, and thus far I still love it! Down the road there is definitely potential for it to look dated, but I''m sure the style will come back into favor eventually
20.gif
It''s been around for a long time, to be sure. For now I love it! And I hope to for many years to come
1.gif

precious jemz

Rough_Rock
I totally love the look of halo rings - my ring is feeling outdated now and I actually have been looking around for a halo setting. Although my current ring is only 8 years old - invisible set platinum, it already doesn''t feel "modern", esp. when I shopped around and saw that micro-pave, etc. is all the rage.
31.gif

lakai

Rough_Rock
Forgive me if I stray off topic, but I have a question for the men. How do/would you feel about buying High quality stone/expensive stone only to find out your fiancee/gf want''s to put in a halo ??

LostieLovesBling

Shiny_Rock
Date: 9/12/2008 12:19:26 PM
Author: lakai
Forgive me if I stray off topic, but I have a question for the men. How do/would you feel about buying High quality stone/expensive stone only to find out your fiancee/gf want''s to put in a halo ??

I''m not a man, but I''m pretty sure most of the people here are putting halos around high quality/expensive stones. Do you think of it as a style for cheap quality stones?
33.gif

Kelli

Ideal_Rock
I''m not a man either. But why would you not put a high quality diamond in a halo? It seems to me that if someone loves that design, and went all out on the perfect diamond, why not also put it in the perfect setting?

lakai

Rough_Rock
Date: 9/12/2008 1:05:56 PM
Author: Kelli
I'm not a man either. But why would you not put a high quality diamond in a halo? It seems to me that if someone loves that design, and went all out on the perfect diamond, why not also put it in the perfect setting?

I expected this kind of response ahead of time which is why I asked the question to men hehe. I'm not implying anything so please take it easy on me.

My reasoning for the question is because I have a few friends who have went beyond their intended budget and bought large F/VVS grade stones and were kind of disappointed when their fiances wanted halo settings. They just felt like halo settings somewhat divert the attention away from the center stone and felt well... like they wasted their money.

glitterata

Ideal_Rock
Well, an F VVS won''t actually LOOK any better than an eye-clean H SI, but it will look a whole lot smaller.

Maybe the fiancees wanted the halo to make it look bigger.

Maisie

Super_Ideal_Rock
I have a halo and I wish I hadn''t. Its a beautiful well made ring but I just don''t feel comfortable wearing it everyday. I am replacing the diamond with a lovely Spinel and having my diamond reset into another ring - something a bit more simple.

lakai

Rough_Rock
Date: 9/12/2008 2:33:19 PM
Author: glitterata
Well, an F VVS won''t actually LOOK any better than an eye-clean H SI, but it will look a whole lot smaller.

They just like the way halo''s look. They seem to be very popular these days, but their point was exactly what you mentioned. While halos compliment stones in that level, it sometimes has the opposite affect for the stones they bought. Does that make sense, or am I just opening up a can of worms ?

ericad

Ideal_Rock
Trade
It''s a matter of preference. To me, nothing enhances a beautiful center stone more than a delicate halo. I happen to LOVE thin halos on large (2+) center stones too, which many people would not like. In fact, I''d be more inclined to halo a high quality diamond versus a lower quality one, as I feel a halo draws even more attention to the center stone than any other style. But again, it''s just a matter of preference!

Black Jade

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 9/11/2008 12:28:01 AM
Author:moobaby
Honestly before I had found PS I didn''t realize how popular halo rings were. But the more I''ve been looking at them the more I''m starting to love them. My concern is 10 or so years from now I don''t want to look at my ring and think that it''s outdated or out of style. What are you guys take/opinion on this?
I think that any ring you buy right now is not going to look quite in style in 10 years. Even if you get a RB solitaire, trends change as to whether you set it in yellow or white metal, the style of the band and so forth. You just can''t worry about that. You have to get what you like.
I''m a simple kind of a girl and I prefer my rings without a lot of ''stuff'' around the stone, which I prefer to be a solitaire. I''ve ended up getting simple ''Tiffany style'' solitaires twice, one in yellow gold for my original e-ring back in the 1980''s, and one in platinum for my anniversary ring, bought since I''ve been on Pricescope. All the other rings I have in colored gemstones are also solitaires in simple bands of various styles. That is what I like to see on my hand. I have to say though, that if I had done something different with my anniversary band, it would have been a halo. I was very tempted by some of the halos that I saw and I think it is a sleek, classic style. I think it is best to use good quality stones in a halo, both the center stone and the surrounding ones--the style cannot disguise cloudy or included stones. I also think it is a style that goes well with stones that are on the smaller side, though that is just my personal opinion. I don''t like to see a large stone, say 1.25 carat or up, that has a halo around it, I think that then the stone should stand on its own.

Black Jade

HoneyBella

Rough_Rock

Sorry, I don''t quite understand this comment. How can colour and clarity affect percieved size (providing all other things are equal)?

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 9/12/2008 6:51:03 PM
Author: HoneyBella

Sorry, I don''t quite understand this comment. How can colour and clarity affect percieved size (providing all other things are equal)?
The colour and clarity does not affect the size nor perceived size, which is the point Glitterata is trying to make. However, if someone has a budget of $10K, he can get a much larger stone by going with a eye clean H SI instead of an F VVS which the eye CAN see the size difference.

Kelli

Ideal_Rock
Date: 9/12/2008 2:38:24 PM
Author: lakai

They just like the way halo''s look. They seem to be very popular these days, but their point was exactly what you mentioned. While halos compliment stones in that level, it sometimes has the opposite affect for the stones they bought. Does that make sense, or am I just opening up a can of worms ?
I wasn''t trying to be harsh- sorry if it came off that way. But I don''t see how a halo would compliment an H SI but not complement an F VVS. In a great cut, an H SI will look just like an F VVS to the naked eye. I don''t think a halo would make a difference either way. I can see your point about the budget though. I have a solitaire setting that cost less than $300. If I had picked out the same stone I did, then told my fiance I wanted a $1500 setting, he probably would have been a little upset! Luckily for us, we both knew what I wanted for a setting. Communication is key!

Back to the first reason for this thread though--- I don''t have a halo, but hope to someday acquire a very beautiful, very WARM colored antique stone and put it in a halo for my right hand, because I do think it''s a lovely timeless look. Even if I''m wrong and it''s not timeless, I don''t care! I may even have to do a rose gold halo!

LostieLovesBling

Shiny_Rock
Back to the first reason for this thread though--- I don''t have a halo, but hope to someday acquire a very beautiful, very WARM colored antique stone and put it in a halo for my right hand, because I do think it''s a lovely timeless look. Even if I''m wrong and it''s not timeless, I don''t care! I may even have to do a rose gold halo!

I bought one of Ericagrace''s Antique Cushion Cuts (2.43,K,VS2) and am going to put a halo around it. The key for me is that the surrounding stones must match the center stone. I expect the look to be fantastic!
36.gif

And I''m not worried about a halo looking dated in 10 years because it likely will look dated. Our rings capture a magic moment in time. Hopefully we will remember that moment/time when we look down at our rings.

goobear78

Brilliant_Rock
I like halos. I don''t have one, but I like them. I do wonder if it deters light quality, but I don''t know, that''s why I''m asking.

LostieLovesBling

Shiny_Rock
Date: 9/13/2008 12:57:37 PM
Author: goobear78
I like halos. I don''t have one, but I like them. I do wonder if it deters light quality, but I don''t know, that''s why I''m asking.

It might depend on if you do a prong-set or a bezel-set halo. Do bezels deter light?

The only thing Ari (of Singlestone) told me of bezels is that they will make low-grade diamonds look less white, but nothing about the light-return.

Fly Girl

Ideal_Rock
Date: 9/13/2008 12:51:22 PM
Author: LostieLovesBling

And I''m not worried about a halo looking dated in 10 years because it likely will look dated. Our rings capture a magic moment in time. Hopefully we will remember that moment/time when we look down at our rings.
Exactly! If you absolutely love your ring style, you get that and it''s yours! In 10 years it will be such a part of you that other, newer, more popular styles will seem just wrong. You''ll still love it. And, if you don''t, well, there''s always anniversary gifts.

In other words, don''t worry about what will be in style in the future. There is no way of knowing what that will be. Get what you love now.
36.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results