shape
carat
color
clarity

Pears

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Nihiladrem

Rough_Rock
Just browsing the other day in a local B&M with my FI and we saw several gorgeous pears (including a 2.05 carat D IF that while larger then we like in a ring was breathtaking
10.gif
), that got me to wondering and planning (it may be a few decades but nothing wrong with thinking ahead
1.gif
) so I browsed arround awhile looking for info on pears. Besides the AGS cut charts there doesn''t seem to be a whole lot of information in general about choosing fancy cuts, or pears in particular at least compared to how easy it was to research rounds when I started this whole obsession last year.

I was wondering what the experts here consider the important things to look for. Or for any advice from knowledgable consumers who have bought pears of your own.

Why is the ratio spectrum 1.5 - 1.75 on the cut charts but I have seen people on the forum here advise between 1.4-1.5? Is there a way to tell how square vs. round the top is and how pointy the tip is from the standard dimesions listed? The charts list a crown hieght % but I haven''t seen that data given for any of the diamonds listed, would that be availible from a sarin report? How important is it? It seems from what I have read that the bowtie effect isn''t neccisarily a negative thing more of a personal prefrence on whether you like the effect or not, is this true, or is there a reason to hope for a small to no bowtie?

Thanks

Kamuelamom

Brilliant_Rock
Welcome to Pricescope!

I have pear side stones but I don''t know enough to comment on ratio or any other specs that make a great pear stone. Bowtie I know, you either have it or you dont in a pear stone but I''m not up on the technical aspects which cause them.

Cflutist and pearcrazy, both regular members who post here, could give you some great insight. Hopefully they will see the title of the thread and pop in.

Good luck! I''ve seen some great looking pear stones here, and if you combine the right ratio, color and clarity you can get a super dazzling stone. I hope you get your answers soon.

~kmom
35.gif

pearcrazy

Brilliant_Rock
So much about buying fancy shapes is about knowing what you like. Trade preference for pears is 1.5 to 1.75. I like them a little more towards the 1.5 side but I own a pendant with a pear that is 1.63. A 1.4 is going to be getting kind of squatty but if that's the way you like 'em.... A well cut pear has a nice round top that tapers to a well defined point, if it's too square at the shoulders it starts to look like a trillion with bulging sides. You're right, it's really hard to get an idea of that without looking at the stone in person. Now that said, I just purchased two .30 point pear diamonds that I'm wearing as earrings right now with the intention of placing as side stones in a ring someday. They are in the 1.3 range and I chose them that way on purpose because I wanted to keep them relatively short for a ring.

It's really hard to get a pear that is completely devoid of a bowtie. I've noticed it the least in my earrings and the most in my pendant. My ring has to be in a certain light to show any dark areas near the center. It's interesting that the bowtie shows the least in the squatty pears and the most in my 1.62 pear. A couple of things to keep in mind that may help keep it to a minimum is to try to keep the depth in the 58-63% range. Most GIA graded pears don't come with crown height information so you would have to get a Sarin report. Good Old Gold lists a couple of pears on their site that come with light scope analysis to get a look at how a well cut pear should perform. I recommend that you surf over there and check out their tutorial.

cflutist

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Pearcrazy answered your question, but I would like to add that I like them to have a pleasing teardrop girdle outline.

My pear has a 1.64 L:W ratio.

diamondlil

Ideal_Rock
As a pear owner, I would say the most important thing to look for in a pear is whether it pleases your eye. I would not advise purchasing a pear by the numbers alone, but the AGA cut grades will at least help weed out the not-so-nice cuts. After finding a pear with reasonable "numbers," seeing it in person will help tremendously.

Try the fancy shape selector at http://www.gemappraisers.com/ to help you decide on the l/w ratio that is most appealing to you. I have heard quite a few people advise between 1.4 and 1.5, but I personally don''t find a pear that fat appealing to my eye. On the other hand, 1.75:1 is pretty skinny, and I don''t like that either. It all depends on what you like, but I agree with pear crazy, try to find one with round shoulders so the stone does not look like a shield.

I never have figured out what makes a bowtie stand out. My 1.67:1 ratio pear has little bow tie at all. Maybe the experts can help here. There are several facet patterns that are common on the pavillion of a pear shape (8, 7, 6 or 4 main facets). Mine has 6 main pavillion facets. I wonder if any of them show a more pronounced bow tie?

DiamondLil

Nihiladrem

Rough_Rock
Thanks pc and diamondil that answers most of my initial questions very well. I guess I will have to keep browsing and see how things go.
1.gif

Nihiladrem

Rough_Rock
Oh one other thing. I have read recomondations to check out the fancy shape selector at gem appraisers several times but when I go to the site it tells me I don''t have permission to access that part of the site. Do I need to register with the site somehow?

FireGoddess

Super_Ideal_Rock
Go to http://www.gemappraisers.com/

Go to DIY cut grading link on left

Select pear from drop down menu

Then you can type in measurements of pear to see how the cut rates.

Is this what you were trying to do???? or is is something else??

Edit: You can also click the link on PS for "Knowledge", then select "Fancy Shapes" and there's a whole article on fancies. The bottom of the page also has a tool where you can look at different length to width ratios...hope this helps. My pear has a l to w ratio of 1.56.

Edit again: I've heard bowties are more pronounced in shallow stones. Not sure if this is true or not.

Nihiladrem

Rough_Rock
Thanks fire - I was trying to click on the link just below DIY grading "Fancy Shape Selector."

I had found the page on ps, and found the tool their helpful but was curious to see what people were refereing to at gem appraisers.

websailor

Brilliant_Rock
Nihiladrem,

Out of curiousity, about how much did they want for that pear?

One other thing I''ve heard from cflutist is that it might take a while to find a really good pear, so you might factor that in.

Nihiladrem

Rough_Rock
Date: 2/14/2005 6:34:42 PM
Author: websailor
Nihiladrem,

Out of curiousity, about how much did they want for that pear?

Didn''t ask, maybe I will go back and find out some time. The store is on my way to my favorite lunch spot so I go by often.

One other thing I''ve heard from cflutist is that it might take a while to find a really good pear, so you might factor that in.

Considering i am a grad student and and am only engaged as of Saturday ie relativly recent purchase already it will be many years untill i am ready to make the financial step of buying another diamond. I think my FI would like to get married first as well
9.gif
(still slightly giddy about that).

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results