shape
carat
color
clarity

Pear or Round side stones ???

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Duckie

Rough_Rock
Please help !!!!!!!
emcry.gif
I cannot decide on an engagement ring setting - I THINK that I want a round brilliant centre stone (Approx .9 carat F, VS2) but I can''t decide whether to add two pear side stones or two round side stones. I would really apprecicate some opinions on this.

Additionally what do you think of .45 carat side stones (each) ie. 2.1 ratio ???

Thanks
emteeth.gif

tanuki

Shiny_Rock
I vote for pears on the sides.

To help you decide on the size of the side stones measure the width of your finger.

Then consider the total measurement across your finger (in millimeters) of the side ones and the middle stone.

How much room will be left for the band to show on either side of the setting is one consideration when choosing the size of the side stones.

Do you want the diamonds to go across the width of your finger or do you want to leave some of the band showing on either side?

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I do not know if I am going to be of great help here, but, strangely enough (given that I am not getting engaged), I am in the midst of the same dilemma myself.

In my case I am trying to decide on side stones to complement a red spinel that has remained unset for far too long.

Originally I wanted pears to complememt it. I bought pears then decided they were too large. So I used those to complement a tanzanite stone when it was set. Now I want to set the spinel and I do not know whether to buy smaller pears than I did the first time or round brilliants.

In my opinion, it is a matter of taste which one prefers. I recommend that you look at a lot of rings that are already made and decide what really appeals to you.

The Tradeshop has a great website where one can ramble through many, many pages of designs. If you have not spent time in there, perhaps it would help you.

Here is a link:

The Tradeshop

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Ring size ?
34.gif
.... on my finger, those long pears would not fit...

diamondlil

Ideal_Rock
I like the idea of pear side stones, but getting the proportions between the center and sides is the hardest part. I do think that 0.45 each side stones for a .90 center round will be too big and dwarf the center stone, IMO. Try 0.25 to 0.30 each as a starting point and see what you think.

DiamondLil

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 1/22/2005 8:42:20 AM
Author: diamondlil
I like the idea of pear side stones, but getting the proportions between the center and sides is the hardest part.

I absolutely agree that with pears as side stones, that proportion is everything. A small difference (between .38 and .40 pears and pears of slightly over .50 each) made a huge difference to me when I wanted to set a red spinel using them as accent stones. I bought the latter pair of stones, then realized I would be unhappy if I used them with the spinel. (So I used them with a larger stone on another project, a tanzanite ring.) I will look for the picture of the spinel flanked by pears of different sizes. I think you will see that a difference of .10 carats can matter a lot in how a center stone looks (although I *cannot* know whether you will prefer the first look or the second! That is where personal taste comes in!).

Deborah

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
I love 3 stone rounds but I have seen some beautiful 3 stone round/pear combos as well. Try playing around with the DeBeers create your own tool at www.adiamondisforever.com to see some virtual mockups?

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
This red spinel is flanked in one picture by pear shaped diamonds of .38 and .40 carats and in the other by pear shaped diamonds of slightly over .50 carats.

twpairsaccentstones.jpg

headlight

Ideal_Rock
If you go with side rounds, I would defintely go for the 2:1 ratio if you want it to look like the original DeBeer three-stone ring.
If you go with pears, you do not want them too small or they will look like "wings".

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results