shape
carat
color
clarity

Pavilion Angle variation, big difference?

erposaur

Rough_Rock
Hey everyone!

Thanks to the PS community for being so helpful! I've just purchased a diamond from James Allen and everything seems fine, until I input the specs into the HCA calculator. I know the HCA is just a tool for rejection but the scored turns out to 2.6 when I was sorta expecting it to be better.

Here is the diamond:
http://www.jamesallen.com/loose-diamonds/round-cut/1.01-carat-h-color-vs2-clarity-sku-360848

Table: 57.9%
Depth: 61.6%
Crown Angle: 34.5 degrees
Pavilion Angle: 41.1 degrees

AGS Ideal 0 VS2 H colour

I'm not entirely certain on how to read the idealscope but it seems fine to me... with clear hearts and arrows.

When I input the numbers into the HCA and change the pavilion angle by 0.1-0.2 degrees (keeping all other specs the same), then the HCA score becomes a lot better.

My question is, does the 0.1-0.2 degree variance on the pavilion angle make that much of a difference to the performance of the diamond? I'm just worried because I have already purchased the diamond from Canada and only to realize that HCA wasn't what I was expecting... and I don't want to deal with the customs/duty if I have to return it.

If anyone can help me out, that'd be great! :D

pyramid

Ideal_Rock
Premium
It is best to stay below 41. 40.75 is said to be ideal but some hearts & arrows super ideal cuts go to 40.9. However if the crown angle is lower say 34.2 to 34.5 it would be fine, if the crown is higher then
the diamond is what is called on the board here a steep deep although if it has a GIA excellent then it has passed their test.
The GIA study put forward that these diamonds are attractive to people.

Looking at the diamond link, the diamond looks fine.

Karl_K

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
IS trumps HCA
IS looks fine.

Diamond_Hawk

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
The 2.6 on the HCA is, indeed, likely due to the pavilion angle over 41 degrees - the HCA is pretty harsh on diamonds outside that range. The IS shows that it was cut responsibly, with great light return. I have seen many MRB's that perform well with numbers the HCA puts in the 2s. That 41 with the 34.5 crown angle puts you in a pretty dang good place for complimentary angles.

It is an AGS 0 - a great performing diamond. Be happy.

SirGuy

Shiny_Rock
I enjoyed Karl's brevity. Numbers and image look good to me. Nice choice! :wavey:

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results