shape
carat
color
clarity

Pave question - diamond quality vs gold quality

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

mutantnatum

Rough_Rock
Hello,

I was hoping to get some advice. I agreed with a Jeweler to get a pave engagement ring with a thin band in...

18K white gold, .20 carat, SI2, and H color (for about $850)

When i came in last week, he upgraded the ring to .24, F color, and VS1 - but he was forced to go down to 14K to make it efficient. I did not receive a call about this or anything - which is why I am concerned...

While the diamonds seem improved, I heard there is little difference in price between gems this size where as dropping from 18K to 14K is like a 20%-25% price difference. Is the diamond gain worth the change is gold karat? Is this a good deal or am i getting ripped off now and after the fact.

Any thoughts would be much appreciated.

Thanks!

strmrdr

Super_Ideal_Rock
I would ask for a refund that it was done without talking to you first is inexcusable.

atroop711

Ideal_Rock
I personally prefer 14K over the higher 18k (just because I like my $$ to go the diamonds). What bothers is that he made this decision on your ring without consulting you. I would tell him about this and discuss cost.

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 8/18/2009 2:24:54 PM
Author: strmrdr
I would ask for a refund that it was done without talking to you first is inexcusable.
Ditto.

denverappraiser

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Not discussing this sort of changes with you on a ‘custom’ type of job is ridiculous. My guess is that the piece isn’t custom at all. He found a band that sort of met your specs and bought it. If this is the case, he can just as easily either find one that DOES meet your specs and buy that one or convince you to change your specs. The decision should be yours, not his. Neither change is going to have all that big affect on the price unless there’s an awful lot of metal involved and the real question is about ending up getting what you want.

Neil Beaty
GG(GIA) ICGA(AGS) NAJA
Professional Appraisals in Denver

mutantnatum

Rough_Rock
Many thanks to everyone and their insights. Sounds like the more important issue is creating the band without my approval on what I actually wanetd. You might also be right about the lack of customization too Neil. I guess I''ll have to have some words with my jeweler.

Thanks again everyone... much appreciated.

Lauren Q

Rough_Rock
I''m with Neil and everyone else on this one. Just wanted to metion too that if this was custom the jeweler would have stayed at 18kt w/F color, VS clarity stones.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results