shape
carat
color
clarity

Pave and Micropave

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Robyn12

Shiny_Rock
Can someone describe these two settings? Is Micro just smaller? I've heard that some jewlers warn against micro -- is this true? It is unsafe for the diamond?

Thanks!

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
----------------On 12/3/2003 5:02:54 PM Robyn12 wrote:

Can someone describe these two settings? Is Micro just smaller? I've heard that some jewlers warn against micro -- is this true? It is unsafe for the diamond? ----------------

It is "just smaller" for the viewer but implies a different technique for the maker. This seems to have caught (judging from industry publications) so there is some incentive for sellers who don't cary these to put the whole thing down. The usual question about pave is "are those going to fall out?". Micro pave is as safe as the regular, but neither is suposed to make it out of the tunbler. I would not commend pave jewelry for daily wear. There are compromises which get the pave look and are more wearable (types of bead and prong set) but the stones will never be as tight together. I am not sure how much sturdier is the invissible setting: it lets no space between stones either but the rings are chunkier and very few jewelers indeed would attempt this on curved surfaces as ring sides. Oh well....

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
Our jewelers advice was that pave was fine for daily wear but not eternity style. Our ring was going to be eternity style pave, but we instead got very tiny prong set stones which looks effectively like pave...with a little more metal.

I posted an A. Jaffe ring recently on the Show me the Ring forum...that is what is called modified prong set...it's somewhat of a cross between a pave and a prong set, minimal metal, but more safety. You can consider something like that as well.

Though on the pave subject...people say they aren't safe...but why are there those rings from 1910 that have micropave or pave on them and have survived with small stones intact for almost 100 years? One wonders.
1.gif

IMO if you want it, get it! Just get it insured or be sure your jeweler can make micropave repairs and add in new small stones if anything happens.
1.gif

Robyn12

Shiny_Rock
Thank you for the information. How would you describe this one?

cushion12.jpg

Jennifer5973

Ideal_Rock
----------------
On 12/3/2003 10:50:56 PM Robyn12 wrote:

Thank you for the information. How would you describe this one? ----------------

GORGEOUS.

Sorry--couldn't resist.
loopy.gif

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
The center...square cushion, obviously a mixed cut but I can't really tell what mix from that pic - hopefully one of the professionals here can (maybe Brian?). The setting has sightly graduated, bead set round diamonds on the sides: a single row of stones between rised edges (this is a great safety measure both for the little diamonds and whatever they might snatch during wear). No way to see wether the stones go all around the shank or not. Most likely there is at least a small metal portion free of stones at the back of the ring for sizing.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results