shape
carat
color
clarity

Paging Logan Sapphire for assistance

livewithease

Shiny_Rock
Hi Logan Sapphire!!! I've been admiring your rings and your journey feels somewhat silimlar to what I'm going through right now. I started with a round halo (original engagment ring) which I eventually turned into a cushion shaped halo using my existing RB center stone by ERD. I've never been completely statisfied with how the ring turned out and experienced problems pretty quickly despite only wearing it occasionally. I wanted a ring I could wear daily without too much concern so I had BGD make me a graduated five stone in their trellis setting. While the ring was beautiful, it made me think even harder about my engagement ring so I decided to return the ring and enlist BGD to use my center stone (1.28) in a three stone ring (truth x3). My rationale here is that a three stone ring will still provide finger coverage but will be a bit more durable.

I know you did pretty much the opposite but I'm curious to hear if you felt the two styles (your halo and your old three stone) provided equal presence. I've only ever had a halo and I'm a bit concerned that moving away from that style of setting will make my stone look small. As the owner of both styles which do you prefer?

As mentioned my center stone is a 1.28 (6.95mm) and the side stones I'm considering are a pair of .50''s. Do you think .50's are too big and I'd be better off with a pair of .40's?

Last question, I noticed you had a halo with a sapphire at one point in time. I'm considering adding a gemstone to my existing halo setting that I can wear occasionally as a RHR. I know very little about gemstones but I hate to see my old setting go to waste. When you executed that project did you find it hard to find a stone? Was it an expensive undertaking?

Sorry for all the questions but your journey seems very similar to my own and I'd love your input/advice. Appreciate any insight you can provide.

Thank you.

Logan Sapphire

Ideal_Rock
Hi Livewithease! :wavey:

Your new three stone sounds like it'll be an absolute stunner! I really can't say whether .50 sides are better or worse than .40s- I guess it's a matter of your own personal preference. I know many people dislike side stones that are more substantial, but I liked the look and if you do too, that's all that matters!

I actually bought the sapphire halo ring as one finished piece, so didn't go through the chase of purchasing the stone separately. I actually miss having a sapphire ring, and would love to add one back in my collection one day. I'd contemplated purchasing a round sapphire a couple of years ago and found that Gem Fix was great about answering questions and taking returns. In the end, I didn't go that route, but they were very friendly and willing to help. I don't know anything about colored stones; the folks over in the CS section were quite helpful.

So...the halo vs. three stone dilemma! I've found that the three stone provided a lot of horizontal coverage...but also looked more like a horizontal blob of sparkles, if that makes sense. I have a graduated five stone ring in a less typical setting which looks similar to me- a long row of sparkle. I think my halo looks more like a dot on my finger- like more of a concentrated sparkle rather than the more distributed sparkle of the 3 stone. I asked my sister what she thought and she said she thinks the three stone provided more finger coverage. So there you have it! I like both looks and would love to have both!

I hope this was helpful. I'm not one who gets into the analytical part of diamonds- I just enjoy the look- so I'm not well-versed at all in discussing technical aspects.

I hope you'll show off your new ring when it arrives!

livewithease

Shiny_Rock
Logan Sapphire thank you for your response and input. I guess I'm the same as you in that I'd ideally love to own both styles of rings. My rationale is that the three stone setting is more durable and could serve as a daily wear while the halo is more delicate in nature and could be something I wear on special occasions. I'd rather utilize my larger stone in my daily wear vs a piece I only wear occasionally.
As for the side stones, I absolutely notice that more people prefer smaller stones but most of those people also have gigantic center stones. I definitely want my center stone to pop but I also want the finger coverage so finding the right balance is key and maybe the right setting. Right now I'm definitely leaning towards the BGD truth x3 but I've also considered the BG open gallery since the center stone sits higher. What I do like about the three stone is the flexibility to change out bands to change the overall look (plain band vs diamond band).

One more question, do you find your VC emilya to be super delicate where you worry about wearing it daily or is it a ring that looks delicate while still being substantial enough that you don't worry?

Thank you again for your response.

Logan Sapphire

Ideal_Rock
I found getting a band for my three stone was a little trickier than I'd anticipated. I used to have a shared prong eternity ring and while it was a beautiful ring, paired with my trellis setting, it was just a little prongy of a look overall for me. Miss Got Rocks has an amazing three stone wedding set (and Tiffany wedding band!)- I've had the thrill of trying it on in real life, and I love the look.

I actually feel like my Emilya is really hardy. Granted, I've only had it for under a year and a half, but I don't anticipate any problems with it at all. I also have the matching eternity wedding band (ering has diamonds maybe 2/3 of the way around) and don't have any problems with it either. I do have a desk job and take off my rings when I get home (but I do that with any ring), so they're not worn 24/7.

The one thing I do find in favor of the three stone (assuming a plain band) is that it's more comfortable for my fingers. Victor Canera's pave, in my very limited experience, is the smoothest, most comfortable pave to wear, but it's still more irritating to my fingers than a plain band. I'm sure not everyone is bothered by that, but sometimes my fingers yearn for something smooth in between them.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results