shape
carat
color
clarity

Oval experts, please help choose between 5 Ovals (E-G, SI)

AandW

Rough_Rock
Hi ovals lovers & experts :wavey:

I've previously posted asking for opinions on a G SI1 Oval (previous post https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/opinions-on-an-oval.211270/), and am back with a few more options.

I was hoping to not go lower than a VS just to be safe as I live abroad and won't be able to see the diamond till it's a completed ring a few months later and don't have the option of just buying it first and evaluating it in person, so your opinions and help with this is very very much appreciated.

GOG said that all stones are eye clean (I believe inclusions are twinning wisps), but in the video, the SI2 ones look like scratched glass (I might have a wrong understanding what 'eye clean' means).

Video : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9igVXgz1_tQ&feature=youtu.be

In the order of stones shown in the video :

1. http://www.goodoldgold.com/ecommerce/1-5ct-g-si2-oval-diamond.html

2. http://www.goodoldgold.com/ecommerce/1-5ct-g-si2-oval-diamond-1.html [0]

3. http://www.goodoldgold.com/ecommerce/1-5ct-f-si2-oval-diamond.html [1]

4. http://www.goodoldgold.com/ecommerce/1-5ct-e-si2-oval-diamond.html [2]

5. http://www.goodoldgold.com/ecommerce/1-5ct-g-si1-oval-diamond.html [3] (same stone in previous post)

Please let me know what you think, whether any a definite keeper, or if I should keep looking. Thanks again!

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Re: Oval experts, please help choose between 5 Ovals (E-G, S

If you are buying a stone and setting it without seeing it, I would be far more comfortable with VS2 or SI1 at the very lowest. While I am sure these stones are eyeclean if they say so, I still think inclusions affect the overall look of the stone and I just would not take the chance. The only way I could consider those would be if I saw them all in person. However, of these, I liked the first one the best from the video. I cannot see the GIA report to know more about the inclusions, though.

AandW

Rough_Rock

diamondseeker2006|1426364104|3847227 said:
If you are buying a stone and setting it without seeing it, I would be far more comfortable with VS2 or SI1 at the very lowest. While I am sure these stones are eyeclean if they say so, I still think inclusions affect the overall look of the stone and I just would not take the chance. The only way I could consider those would be if I saw them all in person. However, of these, I liked the first one the best from the video. I cannot see the GIA report to know more about the inclusions, though.

Thanks for your response! GIA report wasn't provided, but I believe GOG said that they brought in SI2 with only twinning wisps as inclusions, and while they aren't dark/black inclusions, I too feel that it affects the look of the stone.

Of the four SI2 stones, I would have picked the first in the video too, because it appears to have the most minimal bowtie. They all seem to sparkle as much, and I'm not sure how to judge optical performance based on the ASETs etc.

Jadx

Rough_Rock

I just went through the same process looking at several ovals. From the video, #1 and #3 look like nice performers and are 15-20% cheaper than the other options. #3 looks more colorless and is less expensive but #1 looks slightly better overall. If the only inclusions are twinning wisps, then I think you would be ok with either of these two choices and both present better value. I would go with #3 for the color and the price.

AandW

Rough_Rock

Jadx|1426365333|3847236 said:
I just went through the same process looking at several ovals. From the video, #1 and #3 look like nice performers and are 15-20% cheaper than the other options. #3 looks more colorless and is less expensive but #1 looks slightly better overall. If the only inclusions are twinning wisps, then I think you would be ok with either of these two choices and both present better value. I would go with #3 for the color and the price.

My concern with #3 is that there is a half-bowtie. Do you find it strange looking that it's not symmetrical?

I will look through the video again with your opinions on hand...

Thanks!

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

So here is the order I like (rank) them...

4 - nice overall stone , pretty faceting pattern, has arrows across the middle but they are really reflecting the light (gets my attention)
5 - same with this stone...but I think I like 4 a tad more..
1 - this one is pretty and I dont stare at any one area and think that area is "blah"...looks like a nice congruent stone
3 - dont like how it goes from a fat arrow facet across the middle to very small facets (not a pretty faceting pattern IMO)
2 - too big of a bow-tie...I'm not finding this stone attractive at all

I did not look at cost/mm or anything like that. This is from just looking at the video. I'll have to do some more analyzing
before I could answer which one would I buy.

What does GOG say about them?

Jadx

Rough_Rock

AandW|1426365776|3847240 said:
Jadx|1426365333|3847236 said:

My concern with #3 is that there is a half-bowtie. Do you find it strange looking that it's not symmetrical?

I will look through the video again with your opinions on hand...

Thanks!

The bowtie in #3 appears very minor. I do think #1 looks slightly better overall. It also appears to face up slightly bigger, so maybe the depth % is slightly lower than #3. But #1 is the only one on the list that doesn't have the dimensions listed, so I can't tell.

#4 looks very nice as well, but it's $2k (22%) more than #3. It seems overpriced for a 1.5ct E/F SI2.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

I felt like #3 just had too many inclusions. I can easily see them and feel that it would not look as clean (clear, crisp) as #1.

AandW

Rough_Rock

tyty333|1426367001|3847245 said:

4 - nice overall stone , pretty faceting pattern, has arrows across the middle but they are really reflecting the light (gets my attention)
1 - this one is pretty and I dont stare at any one area and think that area is "blah"...looks like a nice congruent stone
3 - dont like how it goes from a fat arrow facet across the middle to very small facets (not a pretty faceting pattern IMO)

I did not look at cost/mm or anything like that. This is from just looking at the video. I'll have to do some more analyzing

Interesting thoughts on faceting, thanks! :)

4 - is the bow tie in the middle considered minimal enough? I'm not sure if I should be worried about the black parts across the middle shown in the ASET. The other main concern would be the clarity, it looks a little 'scratched' in the middle.
5- in relation to your comments on #3, could that also apply to this stone, in that there are big facets in the middle, and smaller facets on the top and bottom?
1 - in the picture, this one looks like it's darker on the top half, plus the little dark park in the middle. Wasn't sure if that was just me being paranoid.

GOG hasn't said much about them yet, but I'll definitely touch base with them soon re these stones. Before going back to them, I was hoping to get opinions on whether any of these are worth serious consideration, or to just keep looking.

AandW

Rough_Rock

Jadx|1426368092|3847250 said:
The bowtie in #3 appears very minor. I do think #1 looks slightly better overall. It also appears to face up slightly bigger, so maybe the depth % is slightly lower than #3. But #1 is the only one on the list that doesn't have the dimensions listed, so I can't tell.

#4 looks very nice as well, but it's $2k (22%) more than #3. It seems overpriced for a 1.5ct E/F SI2.

I know :???: We started out hoping to find a 1.5ct F VS (L:W ratio of approx 1.3) for around the $11k mark, but haven't come across good options yet...

AandW

Rough_Rock

diamondseeker2006|1426369508|3847256 said:
I felt like #3 just had too many inclusions. I can easily see them and feel that it would not look as clean (clear, crisp) as #1.

Agreed, I could see the inclusions even without my glasses, making me wonder if I should steer clear of SI2 altogether!

Jadx

Rough_Rock

AandW|1426369977|3847258 said:
Jadx|1426368092|3847250 said:

I know :???: We started out hoping to find a 1.5ct F VS for around the $11k mark, but haven't come across good options yet...

I'm getting my oval through ID Jewelry in NYC. I am a diamond newbie and found out about them after searching pricescope forums. They have two options listed on their site that fit your criteria and may be able to find others.

http://www.idjewelry.com/oval-mj260941.html
http://www.idjewelry.com/oval-bd46376.html

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Those IDJ ovals have stock pictures, so I am thinking they may be virtual stones which GOG could call in just as easily since she is already working with them.

AandW

Rough_Rock

Jadx|1426371159|3847266 said:
I'm getting my oval through ID Jewelry in NYC. I am a diamond newbie and found out about them after searching pricescope forums. They have two options listed on their site that fit your criteria and may be able to find others.

diamondseeker2006|1426371617|3847268 said:
Those IDJ ovals have stock pictures, so I am thinking they may be virtual stones which GOG could call in just as easily since she is already working with them.

Definitely an interesting idea, as I'm seeing some potential stones on the website (and good prices too!)

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

AandW|1426369796|3847257 said:
tyty333|1426367001|3847245 said:

4 - is the bow tie in the middle considered minimal enough? I'm not sure if I should be worried about the black parts across the middle shown in the ASET. The other main concern would be the clarity, it looks a little 'scratched' in the middle. The black park is actually turning "on" as the stone gets tilted. Only you can decide if its minimal enough. I think the bigger flashes from the bow-tie area are
going to get people's attention across the room as where the smaller flashes in the stone will be seen more up close. I think that's why I like this stone. It gives you a little bit of both worlds.

5- in relation to your comments on #3, could that also apply to this stone, in that there are big facets in the middle, and smaller facets on the top and bottom?Not IMO, because in the number 5 stone the faceting pattern is feathered out nicely vs going from a fat facet straight to little facets.
1 - in the picture, this one looks like it's darker on the top half, plus the little dark park in the middle. Wasn't sure if that was just me being paranoid.I checked the video again and it looks like it is the lighting to me that might be causing what you are talking about. GOG could answer this question. The middle of this stone (possible bow-tie area) is very acceptable to me.

Can you get GOG to just film your top 3 choices side-by-side in regular stone holders (I think it's wood and there are holes where
the stones sit.)

Some people want Zippo, nada, no bow-tie at all in an oval (they do make them but it's a different cut). To me, it's almost like
saying I want a round brilliant without arrows. I dont mind a bow-tie as long as it reflects well and the faceting pattern leading
away from the area is feathered out nicely. You have to decide what is acceptable to you and what you like. GOG has looked at
a lot of ovals and I think they could probably give you some feedback that might help you decide.

Just FYI...here is an oval that does not have a typical bow-tie. I'm not really a fan of these types.
http://www.jamesallen.com/loose-diamonds/oval-cut/0.91-carat-f-color-si1-clarity-sku-324357
http://www.jamesallen.com/loose-diamonds/oval-cut/0.90-carat-d-color-vs2-clarity-sku-394817

AandW

Rough_Rock

tyty333|1426372067|3847272 said:

4 - is the bow tie in the middle considered minimal enough? I'm not sure if I should be worried about the black parts across the middle shown in the ASET. The other main concern would be the clarity, it looks a little 'scratched' in the middle. The black park is actually turning "on" as the stone gets tilted. Only you can decide if its minimal enough. I think the bigger flashes from the bow-tie area are
going to get people's attention across the room as where the smaller flashes in the stone will be seen more up close. I think that's why I like this stone. It gives you a little bit of both worlds.

5- in relation to your comments on #3, could that also apply to this stone, in that there are big facets in the middle, and smaller facets on the top and bottom?Not IMO, because in the number 5 stone the faceting pattern is feathered out nicely vs going from a fat facet straight to little facets.
1 - in the picture, this one looks like it's darker on the top half, plus the little dark park in the middle. Wasn't sure if that was just me being paranoid.I checked the video again and it looks like it is the lighting to me that might be causing what you are talking about. GOG could answer this question. The middle of this stone (possible bow-tie area) is very acceptable to me.

Can you get GOG to just film your top 3 choices side-by-side in regular stone holders (I think it's wood and there are holes where
the stones sit.)

Some people want Zippo, nada, no bow-tie at all in an oval (they do make them but it's a different cut). To me, it's almost like
saying I want a round brilliant without arrows. I dont mind a bow-tie as long as it reflects well and the faceting pattern leading
away from the area is feathered out nicely. You have to decide what is acceptable to you and what you like. GOG has looked at
a lot of ovals and I think they could probably give you some feedback that might help you decide.

Just FYI...here is an oval that does not have a typical bow-tie. I'm not really a fan of these types.
http://www.jamesallen.com/loose-diamonds/oval-cut/0.91-carat-f-color-si1-clarity-sku-324357
http://www.jamesallen.com/loose-diamonds/oval-cut/0.90-carat-d-color-vs2-clarity-sku-394817

Thanks for the responses!

I see what you mean with the JA stones, there is some sort of line in the middle of the stone instead of the arrows, so you don't get the broad flashes of light.

I will digest everything you mentioned, and speak to GOG too!

Jadx

Rough_Rock

AandW|1426371910|3847270 said:
Jadx|1426371159|3847266 said:

diamondseeker2006|1426371617|3847268 said:

Definitely an interesting idea, as I'm seeing some potential stones on the website (and good prices too!)

I can't say enough good things about IDJ. They have been awesome to work with so far. GOG is highly regarded as well.

telephone89

Ideal_Rock
Premium

I like 1 and 4. Cant wait to see what you choose!

AandW

Rough_Rock

Hi everyone,

I decided against an SI2 stone as I won't be able to see it in person, so I'm back again with another oval option to consider, would much appreciate your thoughts on this and help evaluating it.

I do like this one a lot, but my main hesitation is that I was set on finding a shorter fatter oval (approx length-width ratio 1.3), and this one is a bit longer and narrower with ratio of 1.42. Do you think the difference in the L:W ratio will barely show or is it very different? At least it is quite rounded at the ends, vs very tapered ends. I am planning to have it set in a halo, would that help fatten it up visually?

Also, the shape/outline of the diamond looks a little unsymmetrical, being a bit fatter on one side. Again, is this noticable or is it just me picking on unimportant things?

Comparing this to the earlier ovals, this one looks to have a crushed ice appearance, and has smaller flashes of light (again, not sure if this is good or bad!)

Links and details below. I really appreciate all the advice in my journey to finding 'the one'!

Link : http://www.goodoldgold.com/ecommerce/1-45ct-g-vs2-oval-diamond.html

Video : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Eb6Tat9iUAQ&feature=youtu.be

bunfuns

Rough_Rock

Hi AandW,

You got the diamond in person already? Or are these pictures provided by GOG? How do they look?

I'm in the same boat and am asking GOG to look for a 1.75ct to 2ct oval for me. I got some choice of stones but don't know how to interpret the information that's provided, like the ASET, Diamxray, etc. I saw your 1.45ct has a little blemish that they pointed out in one of their clarity shot. How do they look in person?

Bunfuns

AandW

Rough_Rock

bunfuns|1426978755|3850757 said:
Hi AandW,

You got the diamond in person already? Or are these pictures provided by GOG? How do they look?

I'm in the same boat and am asking GOG to look for a 1.75ct to 2ct oval for me. I got some choice of stones but don't know how to interpret the information that's provided, like the ASET, Diamxray, etc. I saw your 1.45ct has a little blemish that they pointed out in one of their clarity shot. How do they look in person?

Bunfuns
Unfortunately, I won't be able to see the diamonds in person, as I don't live in the US and it'll just be too costly (import duties etc) to ship back and forth, so I'll have to rely heavily on opinions and advice from GOG and Pricescope!

bunfuns

Rough_Rock

Oh ic, did they talk to you about the ASET and Diamxray, etc? I just started my process and there are a lot of information that I don't quite understand, and I am relying on PS and GOG as well. It just peaked my interest when I was looking at the clarity shots for your stone and saw the little blemish that they pointed out. One of the oval that I'm looking at has an even bigger one, but it's consider eye clean, so I'm wondering...

Jadx

Rough_Rock

AandW|1426977398|3850748 said:

Most would prefer the 1.42 ratio instead of 1.3. But you should pick what you like. I personally prefer ovals close to 1.5.
A halo will "lower" the ratio since you are adding equally all around.

You can use the shape selector tool: http://www.pricescope.com/tools/aga-diamond-shape-selector
and then add the extra for the halo.

For example if you had a 1.5mm halo around that 1.42 ratio oval, it would be 1.34 ratio all around.

AandW

Rough_Rock

Jadx|1426991916|3850833 said:
Most would prefer the 1.42 ratio instead of 1.3. But you should pick what you like. I personally prefer ovals close to 1.5. A halo will "lower" the ratio since you are adding equally all around.

You can use the shape selector tool: https://www.pricescope.com/tools/aga-diamond-shape-selector

For example if you had a 1.5mm halo around that 1.42 ratio oval, it would be 1.34 ratio all around.

Hmmm.....that is actually a very good point, it didn't occur to me before. Maybe the dimensions on this stone will work out okay, and I just need to figure out the faceting and stone performance....

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

I think that stone looks beautiful in the video.

AandW

Rough_Rock

diamondseeker2006|1427063889|3851076 said:
I think that stone looks beautiful in the video.
Thanks for taking a look!

I was just getting used to the big arrows flashing across the middle of the earlier ovals, and wasn't sure if it was good or bad that this one doesn't really have any (in spot lighting at least)

Do you think this is a winner, or should I keep looking? My criterias were to find a great performing one with no bow tie, and looks white.

Jadx

Rough_Rock

AandW|1427048596|3850993 said:
Jadx|1426991916|3850833 said:
Most would prefer the 1.42 ratio instead of 1.3. But you should pick what you like. I personally prefer ovals close to 1.5. A halo will "lower" the ratio since you are adding equally all around.

You can use the shape selector tool: https://www.pricescope.com/tools/aga-diamond-shape-selector

Hmmm.....that is actually a very good point, it didn't occur to me before. Maybe the dimensions on this stone will work out okay, and I just need to figure out the faceting and stone performance....

Actually after looking at the length/width of the oval, the overall ratio would be closer to 1.29-1.30 if you had a 1.5mm halo all around.
So exactly what you are looking for. I think the dimensions would work out nicely. Ask GOG what they think.

AandW

Rough_Rock
Inclusion under table that reaches the surface

Hi again everyone!

I've decided to go with the 1.45ct G VS2 oval, and have one last question for some peace of mind.

There is a needle inclusion under the table that reaches the surface. And I've read somewhere on PS that it is something to look out for.

GOG says that underneath a microscope with a super fine needle, they are able to feel some of the unpolished diamond, but I will never be able to feel this with my finger/nail/tweezer unless I have it under a microscope.

My concern is the structural integrity of the stone....would much appreciate your thoughts on this

Sounds really stupid, but say if I trip and fall and it hits the pavement, would it crack?

Thanks!!!

clarity2_56_5.jpg
clarity1_57_5.jpg

clarity2_56_5.jpg

clarity1_57_5.jpg

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Diamonds can chip, crack or break for various reasons (inclusion or no-inclusion). It is rare but it does happen. That inclusion is so
small that it would not bother or hinder me from buying this stone. Get insurance to protect from damage or loss.

Inclusions that would bother me are major feathers that go from one side of the stone to another side of the stone or
feathers on corners of a princess.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results