shape
carat
color
clarity

Our appraiser wants the lab report before appraising??

Snow_Miser

Shiny_Rock
I'm so confused, maybe some of you guys can help me out.

My SO and I recently purchased a diamond. We are happy with it, but want to get it appraised just the same. It has an AGS report.

Because there are no close PS approved appraisers in our area, we were going to get it done at a local jewelry store, just for insurance purposes. BUT, he said he cant appraise it without looking at the AGS report first. (I hate having it done locally, as I really don't have a lot of faith in the B&Ms around here, and plan to have it appraised again by someone better qualified soon.)

This is how we replied to his request: We were hoping to get a third party independent appraisal so we can have two unbiased views on this diamond.  We are hesitant to send the AGS report because we feel it may hinder the independent/objective appraisal.Is it normal for customers to hand over the AGS report pre-appraisal?- it seems like it affects the appraisal if you know what the other source thinks of the diamond qualities...?

He said he still needed the appraisal and "our appraisals are strictly for "insurance purposes" only and our value is determined solely on the aspects that make that piece unique. So in this case the AGS certificate greatly affects the value of the diamond, otherwise it is "just a diamond"."

I'm new to this, but it seems kind of hokey even to me. Should we just forget this guy and move on?

LibbyLA

Brilliant_Rock
I gave my appraiser a copy of the report for my diamond and the specs for my ring. All the appraiser is doing is confirming that the diamond matches the paperwork you have, then providing you with a value for insurance purposes. It doesn't matter if your appraiser estimates a different color and/or clarity grade because the value of your diamond depends on the lab grading report, not the appraisal. The lab grading report just describes the diamond, it does not give a value.

My appraiser actually thought my diamond was one color grade and one clarity grade higher than the GIA paperwork, but the only thing that matters is the GIA paperwork.

Not hokey at all.

liz

jfmiii

Rough_Rock
i bought a stone from JA and am getting it appraised this Friday by an appraiser some on here recommended. he specifically told me not to show him the GIA report until the appraisal is finished. id be wary of getting your appraisal done by someone who insists on seeing the cert BEFORE the appraisal.

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
IMHO, an "appraisal" from someone who sells jewelry isn't worth the paper it is printed on.

Can you say, "Conflict of Interest"?

Snow_Miser

Shiny_Rock
kenny|1335904187|3184993 said:
IMHO, an "appraisal" from someone who sells jewelry isn't worth the paper it is printed on.

I agree. It seems like a waste to get someone to tell me what I already know from our AGS report...

I think I will pick out a PS appraiser and call and talk to them about setting something up. I know there is that whole PS list, but since I am mailing it off anyway for an appraisal, who would you recommend sending it to? We got an antique cushion from Perry (will post stats later, on my iPhone), and I would like an ASET and a good opinion/evaluation of the stone.

LibbyLA

Brilliant_Rock
Kenny,

Why is it a conflict of interest for a jeweler to appraise jewelry s/he didn't sell, especially if you have a lab report on the primary stone? The jewelery can't change what the paperwork says. The value of a particular stone with particular specs may vary some from one market to another, but the jeweler/appraiser can't change that.

I've taken several pieces to my jeweler recently for insurance appraisal. He knows I'm buying almost everything vintage/antique/used and he's commented about several pieces that I've gotten good deals. Even with the one new ring I had appraised, he didn't try to talk me out of what I had and I got the impression that he couldn't have come close to the price I paid.

No doubt there are jeweler/appraisers who do try to take advantage, but not all do.

liz

LibbyLA

Brilliant_Rock
snowmiser,

Your AGS paperwork just describes the diamond, it does not set a value for it. It doesn't matter what the appraiser says, the value of your diamond depends strictly on what the paperwork says it is. The appraiser assigns the value based on the AGS paperwork.

If your AGS paperwork says F VS1, the appraiser can call it D VVS1 or J SI2 (not likely there would be that much discrepancy, just saying), but the value of the diamond is based on F VS1, period.

The appraiser verifies that the diamond(s) in the ring match the lab paperwork, weighs the metal, documents number/size/quality of any melee, and comes up with a value based on that.

liz

Christina...

Ideal_Rock

My thoughts exactly!

Have you tried doing a google search for appraisers in your area? I live in a small area and had a hard time locating an independent appraiser that didn't also sell jewelry and finally decided to contact an local auction house to see if they could recommend someone, they were able to give us a few names. We also contacted a very small BM who does not do appraisals and he was able to recommend someone that he used on a regular business and felt was very fair and accurate.

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
LibbyLA|1335907689|3185032 said:
Kenny,

Why is it a conflict of interest for a jeweler to appraise jewelry s/he didn't sell, especially if you have a lab report on the primary stone? The jewelery can't change what the paperwork says. The value of a particular stone with particular specs may vary some from one market to another, but the jeweler/appraiser can't change that.

I've taken several pieces to my jeweler recently for insurance appraisal. He knows I'm buying almost everything vintage/antique/used and he's commented about several pieces that I've gotten good deals. Even with the one new ring I had appraised, he didn't try to talk me out of what I had and I got the impression that he couldn't have come close to the price I paid.

No doubt there are jeweler/appraisers who do try to take advantage, but not all do.

liz

I'm sorry but I'm not able to argue with the way you "reason".

Snow_Miser

Shiny_Rock
Christina...|1335908136|3185037 said:

My thoughts exactly!

Have you tried doing a google search for appraisers in your area? I live in a small area and had a hard time locating an independent appraiser that didn't also sell jewelry and finally decided to contact an local auction house to see if they could recommend someone, they were able to give us a few names. We also contacted a very small BM who does not do appraisals and he was able to recommend someone that he used on a regular business and felt was very fair and accurate.

I havent tried contacting an auction house, I will have to try.

The only appraisers I could find when I did a google search were for Jewelers. I really want someone trusted that can give me some good information. Heck, I can buy a loupe and identify the inclusions and the laser unscripted number if I need to verify it... I want to know about the performance and all that other good stuff.

TravelingGal

Super_Ideal_Rock
I was just at Charles Carmona today and although I stepped out of the room, I gave all the documentation to be verified.

Jennifer Thorton Davis, who I also used, took the certification and just verified. She actually did the checking first, then looked at the cert after to see if it matched.

For my GIA stones, I don't need the stones GRADED. I just want it confirmed that what I am looking at matches the cert, so I'm cool with it. They also give their opinions on the performance of the stones and if the inclusion will affect stability, that kind of stuff.

Snow_Miser

Shiny_Rock
Okay, so I thought I knew before today what I was lookin for from an appraiser, but I guess what I really knew was that appraisers at jewelry stores aren't always dependable and an definitely have an ulterior motive, other independent appraisers are okay, and PS recommended appraisers are the best.

Can any one give me a concise list of things I should look for from an appraiser. I already read the pages on appraisers for
Pricescope and GOG, but can anyone verify and clarify what I've read?

Laila619

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Snow_Miser|1335902666|3184978 said:
IWe are hesitant to send the AGS report because we feel it may hinder the independent/objective appraisal.Is it normal for customers to hand over the AGS report pre-appraisal?- it seems like it affects the appraisal if you know what the other source thinks of the diamond qualities...?

Snow, I totally agree. I would show the AGS cert only AFTER the appraisal is done. If he won't appraise the diamond before seeing the cert, then he's not worth your time (and maybe he isn't even confident in his own abilities?).

LibbyLA

Brilliant_Rock
Snow Miser,

Your original post mentions appraisal for insurance valuation, not for performance, etc. Here's a thread in which one of the tradespeople says that the lab document is the final say-so, so it doesn't matter what the appraiser grades things as. This isn't exactly your situation and the appraiser isn't a jeweler but it does support the fact that the lab document trumps the appraiser.

Bottom line is that it really doesn't matter whether the appraiser sees the lab document before or after. I think I remember reading a thread awhile back in which the appraiser wanted to see the lab document first to confirm that the diamond being appraised matches the lab document because if it doesn't, there wasn't any point in continuing with the appraisal.

Kenny,

I'm not sure what the "scare quotes" around "reason" meant... If you don't think I have a legitimate argument, you should say why.

liz

dreamer_dachsie

Super_Ideal_Rock
He is telling you the truth about how insurance/valuation appraisals wor. Why would you want his opinion on the stone anyway? Would you accept his opinion over the opinion of AGS? I don't mean those questions in a snarky way, but truly, some random jewelers opinion is really not necessary when you hav an AGS report.

Snow_Miser

Shiny_Rock
Dreamer_D|1335913305|3185121 said:
He is telling you the truth about how insurance/valuation appraisals wor. Why would you want his opinion on the stone anyway? Would you accept his opinion over the opinion of AGS? I don't mean those questions in a snarky way, but truly, some random jewelers opinion is really not necessary when you hav an AGS report.

Dreamer--thanks for responding. You are always such a huge help on RT! I think I am looking for an opinion on the performance of the stone, since Perry doesn't provide the same information and images like GOG and others. That and verification that it is a good stone, since their is no AGS cut grade.

dreamer_dachsie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Snow_Miser|1335913879|3185126 said:
Dreamer_D|1335913305|3185121 said:
Dreamer--thanks for responding. You are always such a huge help on RT! I think I am looking for an opinion on the performance of the stone, since Perry doesn't provide the same information and images like GOG and others. That and verification that it is a good stone, since their is no AGS cut grade.

:))

For that you need an appraiser who knows what they are doing, so Dave Atlas and Neill Beatty would be my choice based on what I have read here and the experiences of some friends.

But the best tool with a fancy is your own eyes. You chose a vendor who has a known track record of picking/selling very nice cushions. So from there you can trust your own impressions to a larger extent than if you were picking blind. Look at the stone in many different lighting environments. You want to see nice on-and-off light-and-dark as you move the stone, no dark areas that stay dark all the time, no or few areas that look sort of hazy (mush or leakage), you want it to look bright in the diffuse lighting like on a cloudy day, firey in big bx stores like costco, and colorful if you stand under a tree on a sunny day. If you look at it closer to your face you don't want the center to turn into a black hole.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
So are you considering returning this diamond if the appraiser doesn't think it has top light performance?

If you want an evaluation of light performance so you can decide whether to keep the stone, then fine, spend the money to send the diamond away to a PS independent appraiser. Hope you can find a way to insure it before you send it, though.

But, if you love the stone and plan to keep it, then the appraisal from the local jeweler is ALL you need!!! And yes, of course, you give him the AGS report so he can document what the AGS report says on the appraisal!!!

You are confusing two different purposes for appraisals.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results