shape
carat
color
clarity

Original GIA dossier

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

creaton

Rough_Rock
Just purchased an engagement ring yesterday, and had question about GIA reports..

I purchased both the stone and setting from a local reputable jeweler, and when I looking through the paperwork they provided me, realized that the only gave me a copy of the GIA dossier report. Is this typical, or should they have given me the original GIA??

Thanks,

creaton

cflutist

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I am not sure what your question is, but the GIA Diamond Dossier report is a compact grading report issued for diamonds weighing under one carat on the GIA D-Z color scale. The Institute uses the most advanced technology available to assess, to the fullest possible extent, the auhenticity and quality of your diamond. The Dossier includes GIA's authoritative analysis of your diamond's 4Cs. Plus, as an added security benefit, when your diamond is accompanied by a GIA Diamond Dossier, it bears a microscopic laser inscription of your Dossier's identification number, conneting your diamond with your report.

In other words, the Dossier report has the same info as the GIA Diamond Grading Report, but does NOT include the plot diagram of your diamond's clarity characteristics.

The GIA Diamond Grading Report (at least the ones I have for two of my stones) are prepared in duplicate and you should receive both copies. I don't know if that is the case for the Dossier report because I have not seen one in person. The info here is from a brochure I have from the GIA regarding "GIA's Diamond Grading Report and Diamond Dossier".

If you are asking why you got a Dossier report instead of a full blown report it could be 1 - the Dossier report is less expensive than the full blown report, or 2 - because your diamond is below one carat, the vendor chose to use this report instead of the full blown Diamond grading report.

Brian Knox

Shiny_Rock
Trade
----------------
On 10/17/2004 1:16:14 PM creaton wrote:

Is this typical, or should they have given me the original GIA??

Thanks,

creaton----------------

Hi Creaton,

Welcome to Pricescope.

You should have the original document.

Sometimes the original arrives at the jewelers after the diamond, and this is likely the explanation or it is also possible that the fact that you do not have the original could of 'slipped thru the cracks'.

At any rate call the jeweler and make sure they know that you do not have the original, but definitely want it as the original document is an implied part of any sale involving a diamond with a report.

creaton

Rough_Rock
It's a princess cut and it is below 1ct. My question is, the jeweler gave me a photo-copy of the GIA dossier.. Is this standard practice, or should they have given me the original GIA dossier? Is there any advantage to having the original dossier vs a photocopy?

THanks,

cflutist

Ideal_Rock
Premium
You should have the orginal ... that's the practice I've seen.

yowahking

Shiny_Rock
My guess is that the diamond was not owned by the jeweler and only had a copy of the cert for you. That is pretty typical so the certs do not get lost till they are sold. If that is the case, the jeweler should have the original in a few days. If there is no original, GIA can issue another one for a small fee to the jeweler. You should not have to pay, but you should have an original.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results