shape
carat
color
clarity

Orange, Green and Brown Diamonds

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

maxspinel

Shiny_Rock

I love colored stones/diamonds. The price of the pink and blue diamonds is too outrageous. Either one has to ditch out an obscene amount of money or all you can get is a stone so tiny that no one would ever notice that it is a diamond.

It seems that the price is still relatively reasonable for the orange, green and especially brown diamonds. It is hard to find true orange and true green and they normally command also an astronomical price. However, the market still has some relatively good sized yellowish orange and gray-yellowish green with prices competitive to white diamonds. The yellowish oranges look pretty nice but the gray-yellowish greens are not as attractive since they look kind of olive.

Also, some people advise collecting fancy brown diamonds since they are such a bargain. They claimed that the browns are also getting rare as the Argyle mine that produces the pink/red diamonds, which is also a major source of browns, will be mined out soon. (?)

Are these stones worth collecting since they are not as popular when compared to the pink, blue and yellow diamonds? As for the browns, when any another valuable primary color such as pink, orange and yellow are modified by a secondary hue of brown, the price drops tremendously. Also, the browns are not rare so it does not seem to have the potential to appreciate in value.

JohnQuixote

Ideal_Rock
Browns are inexpensive because some people don't like the color. If you like them it’s a good situation for you. There are many to choose from – dark brown to fancy light or yellowish brown, etc. I suggest that diamonds with noticeable gray are not worth collecting unless you have a specific desire for them. Greens and reds are almost impossible to find. Pink and blue are super expensive. True orange is hard to get but orange-yellow is reasonably affordable, as are fancy and intense yellows. Once you get into vivid yellows you’re getting expensive - but nothing like blues or reds.

Rarity of these gems is not because a mine is running out. Some of these mines have been going for 50 years or so and are still going. The Argyle has years left. For that matter they might stumble onto another one right there in Australia…

Honestly, who thought of looking for diamonds in Oz, anyway? Garry must have called the diamond hotline and given them a tip.
10.gif

It’s amazing how they find these things. Bob Hoskins was telling me about Botswana: They took people into the desert, had them stand shoulder to shoulder in a big long line and walked that line in one direction. When anyone came to an anthill they flagged it. They kept walking and flagging. Geologists took samples from each flagged anthill. If they found tiny garnets in the sample they flagged it again and took a core sample. If there were diamonds in the core sample they took a deeper sample. They found 3 mines in the middle of the desert that way. That turned Botswana into a rich country. Now the people there have free medical, free education, etc. - all because of a walk in the desert.

Anyone have anthills in their backyard?
31.gif

kroshka

Brilliant_Rock
Hi maxspinel,

I''m so happy to see another fancy colored diamond lover out there posting and asking questions
36.gif

While it is sad to say that they are so darn expensive (unless you are rich
28.gif
), what can you do since they are so rare in comparison to white diamonds?

I''ve looked for pure oranges - and pure oranges can be very expensive. But, I''ve seen a few that have the yellow modifier - and they are just as pretty and in my opinion worth buying if you find one you like. Some of the grayish yellow green diamonds are also really cool - especially if they are graded as a "chameleon". Pure straight natural fancy green diamonds are super rare and therefore very expensive. Another thing about green diamonds is, GIA finds them harder to grade since the green color is a result of radiation and they need to be able to identify that the stone got its color naturally that way (I think if the stone has a radiation stain that greatly helps to identify if it happened naturally or not). Many green and blue diamonds you see on the market today are irradiated or treated or HPHT. There are some attractive "fancy yellow-green" diamonds out there. Some may not think they are green enough in color though. I personally have one and really like it.

I don''t think that fancy brown diamonds are in danger of being mined out like pinks and other colors are. But if you find an attractive stone that has a brown modifier and the price is right, why not? Unless you are buying specifically for investment purpose (which I don''t think it is wise to buy a diamond for that purpose anyway), I always seem to find something attractive about all the colors. Nature has such wonderful mysteries and so many colors and shades.

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Brown eyes.. brown shoes and suits and bags... and a couple of larger sapphire, lots of brown-hued agate, tourmaline..

Anyway, I love the color, as much in jewelry as anywhere else. Gray too - another story.

No brown diamonds on record yet, but both deeper brown and bottle green sound possible in the near future. I surely like them fancy cut better than in the normal shapes. And above all, not round! IMO, the (dark colored) stones end up pitifully uninteresting cut RBC. Am I the only one thinking this way?

JohnQuixote

Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/28/2006 2:00:16 PM
Author: valeria101

...I surely like them fancy cut better than in the normal shapes. And above all, not round! IMO, the (dark colored) stones end up pitifully uninteresting cut RBC. Am I the only one thinking this way?
I''m with you. Cuts other than round help entrap body color. More robust, and interesting.

belle

Super_Ideal_Rock
absolutely. rounds do nothing for fancy color diamonds.
8.gif

thanks for sharing your info sir john
2.gif

colors!

Rough_Rock
don''t know about the collecting aspect, but what I like is that each one is so unique. Don''t write off a color until you see it- even with the same name they can face up different.
I saw a chameleon (gray-green yellow) which was beautiful!! but the name sounds horrible.

Gemklctr

Shiny_Rock
Date: 2/28/2006 2:34:45 PM
Author: belle
8.gif

2.gif
Actually, I think it depends upon the intensity of the color. Many champagne to cognac diamonds look great as rounds because it is typically a more brilliant cut and brightens the stone. The same goes for treated colors. On the other hand, I agree that a round cut tends to wash out more pastel colors like those typically found in natural yellows, blues, pinks, etc.

mepearl53

Shiny_Rock
Trade
With smaller colored diamonds in pinks and yellows the round cut can bring out the color very strongly. But as they get larger the intensity of the round cuts muddle the stones. On the other hand I have seen some very intense colors in the pastels.

Capitol Bill

Shiny_Rock
Ana, John & Belle:

Perhaps this will change your mind about colored rounds.

Cheers,
Bill

EightStar_Blue.jpg

JohnQuixote

Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/1/2006 2:16:49 PM
Author: Capitol Bill
Ana, John & Belle:

Cheers,
Bill
Bill - no mind changing necessary. I love rounds too, esp. where the shape improves the color. I agree with GK's post. Since I spend abundant time with colorless rounds that are firecrackers, colors cut into different shapes just ping my interest-radar.

Nice photo btw.

JohnQuixote

Ideal_Rock
Bill - Here's an example of a different shaped cut that 'had me at hello.'
1.gif
Not a diamond, it's a 57.5 ct ametrine cut to represent the FDNY badge, in memory of NY firefighters and 9/11. It's named "All Give" - part of the GIA collection (did you see it at JCK?). The photo is ok - in person it's very moving. I think it was the perfect color and cut for its purpose.

AllGiveAmetrine.jpg

belle

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/28/2006 2:47:34 PM
Author: GemKlctr

Date: 2/28/2006 2:34:45 PM
8.gif

2.gif
Actually, I think it depends upon the intensity of the color. Many champagne to cognac diamonds look great as rounds because it is typically a more brilliant cut and brightens the stone. The same goes for treated colors. On the other hand, I agree that a round cut tends to wash out more pastel colors like those typically found in natural yellows, blues, pinks, etc.
i totally agree gemklctr. i should have been more specific in my answer.
37.gif

belle

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/1/2006 2:16:49 PM
Author: Capitol Bill
Ana, John & Belle:

Cheers,
Bill
18.gif

thanks for sharing that beauty bill!
36.gif

strmrdr

Super_Ideal_Rock
A 1ct orange is on my someday list
yum!

Gemklctr

Shiny_Rock
Where does one find a H&A blue ?
3.gif
That''s definitely droolworthy Bill.

Now that we all agree colored rounds can rock, we just have to figure out how to get some (more), and fancies too!
9.gif

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
If someone wanted to make a round out so that light color is enhanced by the cut. It seems clear enough that the ideal proportions for that job might be a different matter than what works for the usual purpose. What would that be? I have in memory some rather flat rounds with shallow pavilions and large tables that seemed to work up light color pretty well. Just curious...
38.gif

Date: 3/1/2006 3:40:53 PM

Date: 2/28/2006 2:47:34 PM

Actually, I think it depends upon the intensity of the color. Many champagne to cognac diamonds look great as rounds because it is typically a more brilliant cut and brightens the stone.
i totally agree gemklctr. i should have been more specific in my answer.
Cool for dark color, but it may be worth considering this against the traditional way of brightening a dark stone - making some large pavilion facets working somewhat like the mirrors of a kaleidoscope for whatever is going on on the crown. I don't know how popular this is with diamonds (as if there were many really dark diamonds getting personalized attention from cutters). However, the topic came up allot referring to ... dark sapphire for which the owners want specialized cut to be the only 'enhancement'. I am not holding my breath for any such solution to get among dark brown diamonds - funny how diamond and color cut barely speak to each other.

Anyway. Hope the picture below is not illegal on a forum that wants diamonds cut rather than ... Well, that one is cut too -

Am I dreaming or is Michael Zobel jewelry getting into Pearlmans Jewelers as of late?

MichaelZobelContext.jpg

Capitol Bill

Shiny_Rock
Date: 3/1/2006 4:02:49 PM
Where does one find a H&A blue ?
3.gif
That''s definitely droolworthy Bill.

Now that we all agree colored rounds can rock, we just have to figure out how to get some (more), and fancies too!
9.gif

Hi GemKlctr,

The stone in the photo is a natural color blue cut by EightStar. I haven''t seen this one in person, but I did see a (slightly) greenish yellow (irradiated) EightStar that knocked my socks off.
19.gif

I would agree that most colored rounds are not very attractive. But that''s always going to be the case when a round is cut for weight retention rather than for beauty. It just goes to show that what holds true for a super-ideal colorless round also may hold true for a super-ideal colored round. I''ve seen the difference in person and it was amazing!

Bill

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results