shape
carat
color
clarity

Options for my 9 stone band, please help out.

luvsdmb

Brilliant_Rock
I currently have a 9 stone band that has some issues. Right now it is in New York at Amcor Design, that is where the setting was made. It's one size to small for me.
I sent it back to them because they have been nice enough to try to help me out by either selling it and/or making me a new seven .25 stone band. I bought the diamonds from GOG they are .20, well five of them are .20, four of them are just a little under which makes the diamonds graduate in size which is the other thing that really bugs me about the ring. I already contacted GOG via email asking if I could trade them for the original small 5 avc that I started out with they are unable to trade them again.
So here are my options: Details of stones are h&a H-I SI1 in a shared prong setting 14K white gold size 9.5

1) I take it apart keep the five matching diamonds buy two more that match and have a seven stone band made. Leaving me 4 perfectly matching .20 stones left.

2) Have it sized wearing it the way it is and just deal with it.

3) Take it apart and see if i could sell the diamonds as pairs for earrings, this was suggested to me since it didn't sell on ebay.

3) Lower the price to $2000.00, but won't the issue of the diamonds being a bit smaller bother others too? So I hate trying to sell it again.

4) This might be a stretch, make just a 5 stone ring.

Thanks everyone, hope I can get this figured out soon. :))

photo_18_5.jpg

photo_15_3.jpg

photo_19_2.jpg

photo_13_6.jpg

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
If you think you would love it take the 5 matching stones add 2 more matching stones and make a perfect ring for yourself. Take the 4 left over .2 stones and make some drop dead gorgeous diamond drop earrings. Simple and elegant. Or a design like this (if it appeals to you) but just with 2 diamonds per earring. They would make quite the impact at .2 per stone but still be practical enough for casual wear.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Diamond-14K-Gold-2-Tone-Drop-Dangle-Flower-Earrings-NR-/121422781804?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item1c455c9d6c

Just to give you an idea of what I mean for the diamond drop option but with less stones if you use 2 diamonds per ear:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/PLATINUM-EDWARDIAN-DIAMOND-SOLITAIRE-1-00CT-DROP-EARRINGS-ARTICULATED-C-/371114821825?pt=UK_Jewellery_Watches_VintageFineJewellery_CA&hash=item56682ac8c1

marymm

Ideal_Rock
Premium
OP - as you've been all over the map with this project since the beginning of this year, I'd suggest perhaps buying inexpensive CZ versions of a 5-stone and a 7-stone in your size and then rotate wearing them over a month to see if either of them work for you. If one of them wins your favor, then have your current band re-made and sell the extra stones or keep them for future projects.

Since you have consistently posted that you do not care for graduated bands, I would not keep and re-size this 9-stone.

If neither the 5- or 7-stone CZ band configurations end up pleasing you, I suggest taking some time to figure out exactly what it is you want - depending on what it is and which vendor(s) can provide it for you, your current 9-stone band may qualify for trade-in credit.

Laila619

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Just size it and wear it IMO. I don't get what switching to a 7 or a 5 stone band would do. I think the finger coverage would be less, plus it would be a hassle.

arkieb1

Ideal_Rock
Premium
If 5 of the stones are .20 what size are the other 4 stones? Did you know they were going to be less (I am assuming .19 or .18 or whatever they are) when you purchased them?

endless_summer

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I agree with Laila - I honestly can't even really see that the stones are graduated. I think Missy's idea is genius too, but it's a beautiful 9 stone band, and if you're worried about finger coverage, then keep all nine :)

Laila619

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I do think it's a lovely band on you! You will like it much better when it's sized properly I think. :)

luvsdmb

Brilliant_Rock
arkieb1|1409787054|3744351 said:
If 5 of the stones are .20 what size are the other 4 stones? Did you know they were going to be less (I am assuming .19 or .18 or whatever they are) when you purchased them?

I was told before I bought them the total weight was 1.79. When I got them in person I could tell maybe a few where smaller but it wasn't until they were in the setting that I really noticed it. So to be honest I don't know what the four smaller ones are. I was never told exactly.
I never opened them when I got them, which was dumb. I figured I could trust GOG, they knew my intention of making a shared prong band. I guess it was stupid looking back that I didn't open it, line them up and see how they looked and compared their size.

photo_61_1.jpg

thecat

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I think it's looks great on you except that it's slightly tight. I can't tell the size difference in diamonds when they're on your hand. But maybe that's cos I'm less observant. I think changing to a 7 stone with 0.2ct won't help as the finger coverage is less. If you really don't want to keep the band, your 2 best options are to sell at a greater discount and trade it in.

I know it's painful to take the loss but it seems a necessary expense on our learning journey. Many here have reset or change diamonds etc and all these would usually incur a loss. So don't beat yourself up for the loss. A good way to price the item is to look at listed price of similar items on estate website and then take 5-10% off that listed price since individual sellers provide less store benefits than estate jewelers. Alternatively you can consign it.

Call up or email vendors and see who has a trade in option. If a vendor with trade in option has something you like off their website/local store, it might be the best. Do note that trade in usually incur a pretty significant loss as well.

woofmama

Ideal_Rock
I think you may be seeing an optical illusion regarding the size difference. When I first got my five stone I was noticing the diamonds on the ends looked smaller than the three center stones, especially on one side. I flipped the way I was wearing it and the other side did the same thing. I know they're the same diameter because I bought them myself and they have certs. I believe if you had a jeweler measure them with calipers they would all be the same.

Get the ring sized to fit you. Wear it for at least a year. I saw you were in the CS forum. Lurk there and read threads. When or if you decide to get an engagement style ring to wear with your band you can consider a gem stone and will have learned what you like in cut style and shape. Maybe that's your answer, rather than a diamond? Then you could keep the band and have a gorgeous solitaire.

pyramid

Ideal_Rock
Premium
With the carat weight if all four are the same size they can only be a quarter of a point smaller than the other five stones.
The total weight divided by 9 (as I know you probably know) only leaves 8 x 20 pointers and 1 x 19 pointer hypothetically, so
there can't be four of them at 19 points.

I think the ring is lovely on you. I have an old ring with 7 stones and it is set high as they were back in the late 80s and I
always thought it looked strange how the side diamond's prongs looked like they stuck out further than the rest of the ring.
I never noticed stones looking smaller but then the stones were set high. I think the last poster may be right that it could be
an optical illusion, but ofcourse you would know best really from seeing it in real life.

junebug17

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think you should get the ring sized and wear it for a while and then decide. You might be happier with it when it's the proper size for your finger.

I guess there's a possibility a few of the stones have different diameter measurements - they look the same size to my eye in the pics. Woofmama had a great suggestion - have a jeweler measure them, that way you'll know for sure. The ring looks really beautiful on you.

EvangelineG

Brilliant_Rock
junebug17|1409841887|3744693 said:
I think you should get the ring sized and wear it for a while and then decide. You might be happier with it when it's the proper size for your finger.

I guess there's a possibility a few of the stones have different diameter measurements - they look the same size to my eye in the pics. Woofmama had a great suggestion - have a jeweler measure them, that way you'll know for sure. The ring looks really beautiful on you.

+1

It is a beautiful band. You are never going to love it when it is the wrong size, and makes your finger feel and look bad. Get it sized and then live with it for awhile.

luvsdmb

Brilliant_Rock
I had my ring sized. Thought I would share a few pictures. It fits more comfortably but due to the prongs on the ends it still pokes the inside of my fingers. And I still notice the slight graduation of diamond size. I guess it's okay and only I am the one who seems to notice it, so for now I am just going to wear it and see how I feel about it.

photo_29_0.jpg

photo_30_0.jpg

photo_31_0.jpg

photo_32_0.jpg

AprilBaby

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
missy|1409755452|3744011 said:
If you think you would love it take the 5 matching stones add 2 more matching stones and make a perfect ring for yourself. Take the 4 left over .2 stones and make some drop dead gorgeous diamond drop earrings. Simple and elegant. Or a design like this (if it appeals to you) but just with 2 diamonds per earring. They would make quite the impact at .2 per stone but still be practical enough for casual wear.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Diamond-14K-Gold-2-Tone-Drop-Dangle-Flower-Earrings-NR-/121422781804?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item1c455c9d6c

Just to give you an idea of what I mean for the diamond drop option but with less stones if you use 2 diamonds per ear:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/PLATINUM-EDWARDIAN-DIAMOND-SOLITAIRE-1-00CT-DROP-EARRINGS-ARTICULATED-C-/371114821825?pt=UK_Jewellery_Watches_VintageFineJewellery_CA&hash=item56682ac8c1

This!

makemepretty

Brilliant_Rock
A nine stone ring is a perfect band if you can't handle the thought of an eternity. It gives great finger coverage(way better than 7 or 5), more bling than either of the other two and 9 is a great number numerically. I cannot see any difference visually in the individual stones.

I went through all your threads and there seems to be a problem with knowing what you want and nothing making you happy. I don't think a piece of jewelry can do that for you. I'm glad you had it sized, I think you should wear it for a longer amount of time and see if you start to love it. Sometimes, the act of wearing something makes it more a part of you.

Jewelry can't make you happy if you're already unhappy for some reason. Your posts feel so unhappy that it makes me feel sad. All these lovely things you've had but they don't feel lovely to you. It's not the diamonds making you sad and therefore, they can't fix what's going on. They're like band aids that keep falling off.

Your 9 diamond band is gorgeous, nice beautiful big chunky diamonds that give full finger coverage!

luvsdmb

Brilliant_Rock
makemepretty|1411383000|3755107 said:
A nine stone ring is a perfect band if you can't handle the thought of an eternity. It gives great finger coverage(way better than 7 or 5), more bling than either of the other two and 9 is a great number numerically. I cannot see any difference visually in the individual stones.

I went through all your threads and there seems to be a problem with knowing what you want and nothing making you happy. I don't think a piece of jewelry can do that for you. I'm glad you had it sized, I think you should wear it for a longer amount of time and see if you start to love it. Sometimes, the act of wearing something makes it more a part of you.

Jewelry can't make you happy if you're already unhappy for some reason. Your posts feel so unhappy that it makes me feel sad. All these lovely things you've had but they don't feel lovely to you. It's not the diamonds making you sad and therefore, they can't fix what's going on. They're like band aids that keep falling off.

Your 9 diamond band is gorgeous, nice beautiful big chunky diamonds that give full finger coverage!

I am unhappy because I have been married for three years and I have not been wearing a ring. I was stupid and got rid of the diamond he proposed with and looking back I should have just kept it.
I know wearing a ring does not make you married it's the relationship. My husband is the best thing that has ever happened to me and if that means wearing a plain gold band that matches his so that I can feel married to him and just be content with a ring for a minute then yes you can take my post however you want. They might seem sad, maybe that's because I am sad about this entire process and all of the horrible mistakes I've made. I have spent so much money and I still have nothing that I love.

Tekate

Ideal_Rock
Premium
the ring still looks too small to me :( the stones to my eye all look the same size. If you don't like a graduated stone ring - take out the ones that are smaller and make a channel set wedding band.. that style of band to me looks as though it MIGHT hurt or rub.

I used to think rings were important when I was young (20 30 40 even 50! sorta) but as I've gotten to be 60 the ability that hubby number 2 and I have to each other and the sons is what made me feel married.. NOW I love jewelry and love diamonds especially :) if having a ring makes you feel married then get yourself a gold band and work on this project of a diamond band, I think people have given you a lot to work with and the company that made this ring is helpful too.. I have an "average" diamond from my husband from '88, and I've reset it 4x over 25 years and every reset I end of hating.. TRUE!!! why??? because when I bought a band with diamonds that was stock, I hated the baguettes, when I took the bagguettes and had a ring made I thought it looked terrible, then I bought a setting that some woman walked away from - good deal, new baguettes and platinum - when they were placing the head on it I was in Spain, I came back the bleep bleep head is not what I envisioned, the stone is set like for a 19 year old girl.. too damn high.. I was in the midst of moving and so I didn't get it fixed cause frankly I was sick of my self and this quest for a perfect setting, there isn't one really - for me I guess. soooo when a reasonable amount of time goes by I will reset the stone into a nice, PLAIN platinum setting and work on bands :)

Marriage is wonderful and you seem like you have a great guy, who's married a wonderful girl! congrats.

(believe you me I have spent so much money on a mediocre diamond I could have had a 1carat d color AGS 0 stone or more so I fell your pain, forgive yourself and get the ring you want :) regards.

luvsdmb|1411396053|3755201 said:
makemepretty|1411383000|3755107 said:

I am unhappy because I have been married for three years and I have not been wearing a ring. I was stupid and got rid of the diamond he proposed with and looking back I should have just kept it.
I know wearing a ring does not make you married it's the relationship. My husband is the best thing that has ever happened to me and if that means wearing a plain gold band that matches his so that I can feel married to him and just be content with a ring for a minute then yes you can take my post however you want. They might seem sad, maybe that's because I am sad about this entire process and all of the horrible mistakes I've made. I have spent so much money and I still have nothing that I love.

Laila619

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Oh you sound so much like me! I got engaged/married in 2008 and have gone through countless resets, diamonds, rings, bands, etc. It is insane how crazy (and what a waste of money) it all was looking back. Now I am content with just a plain band, and it feels so freeing!! Maybe that would be best for you. You could get a 2.5mm gold band, and it will always be a classy, elegant, and timeless look. And nothing says married like a plain wedding band.

arkieb1

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I understand your pain. Diamonds and coloured stones for that matter are a process for many people - what I mean by this is that as we become more educated then our tastes change, they evolve as our visual tastes evolve. Some people are lucky and buy perfection in the beginning (like a stone from GOG or Wink, a ring from Victor or Singlestone or many of the other wonderful vendors on here) but even they might upgrade or buy something else for a RHR. I'd guess there were probably more members on here that did NOT have something well cut or in a budget range they were entirely happy with that was perfect from the beginning than those who did.

I also completely understand that looking at a forum like this one creates discontent, and I think lots of people strive to find the golden unicorn or at least some sort of compromise that will indeed make them happy and this can take a while to figure out. I purchased a number of modern cut diamonds before I figured out they were not doing that much for me visually and found that I love old cuts. This journey has taken me (and might I add I think many of the more popular members here) a number of years, so please don't feel bad at all.

I really hope that you find something that makes your heart sing in the future whatever that might be.

luvsdmb

Brilliant_Rock
Just got the measurements of my diamonds from my band. Thought I would share.

(2) 3.7mm
(1) 3.8mm
(6) 3.7mm to 3.79mm

ImpatientOne

Brilliant_Rock
With those numbers, I really do believe you are having an optical illusion. The differences in diameter are miniscule.

unsettled

Shiny_Rock
Premium
with those measurements, I think it's just an optical illusion that you think the stones are not the same size. I have a TINY diamond band. I think the stones are may .01 each and I swear that one side kind of tapers in. But it does the same thing when I turn it around and wear it the other way. Sometimes I think our eyes just play tricks on us. I think the band is lovely! I hope that you are starting to love it.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results