shape
carat
color
clarity

Opinions plz: Princess of Hearts v White Flash ACA Princess

DylanAU

Rough_Rock
Hello,

I am a long time reader of this forum and this is my first post. First I would like to thank all the contributors in this forum, I have gained a wealth of info from all the posts. I've now narrow down my search to two diamond in particular and would love to hear what others think.

The prices of the diamond are basically the same but stats are different. I know the PoH are a little more rare but is it worth more?

I would like like some opinions on the ASET and DiamXray images, do they look like they would be good performers?

1. A Cut Above from White Flash - http://www.whiteflash.com/loose-diamonds/princess-cut-loose-diamond-2192268.htm
2. Princess of Hearts from Good Old Gold - http://www.goodoldgold.com/diamond/8063/

Thanks.

Dylan

E B

Ideal_Rock

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Re: Opinions plz: Princess of Hearts v White Flash ACA Princ

Whoa! I was going to have a tough time voting between the first two because both are great stones, but I prefer the cut corners but the regular princess is larger than the PoH.

But I will have to say, getting the larger 1.74 H VS1 stone from JA would have to be my pick. The spread on these stones is just so much smaller than rounds, so going with the largest possible is a good idea. I had no idea JA had any stones like that. Excellent find, farmergal! (And do put it on hold if you are interested because lurkers are always watching!)

DylanAU

Rough_Rock

farmer gal|1347448830|3266665 said:
Both are beautiful. I love square HA because your getting the round optics in a square cut.

Here is a larger square HA at JA, if you are interested I would place it on hold.

http://www.jamesallen.com/diamonds/H-VS1-Very-Good-Cut-Radiant-Diamond-1466062.asp

Thanks farmer gal, that is a great find, I've searched JA myself and didn't find anything (maybe I didn't look hard enough).The diamond is now on hold :appl:

BUT the girl (Stacy) I spoke to said the diamond is not a H&A??? :confused:
She also told me that no fancy cuts come in the H&A...

Do you think I should be concerned that they don't even know that they have H&A in fancy cuts?

Anyway, I have requested the ASET image, hopefully that will clear it up but the diamond is only on hold till EST 4pm and I am in Aust...

webdiva

Brilliant_Rock

No, don't be concerned. It's not technically an H&A with them...or they don't know because the stone is with a wholesaler. The diamonds are not in their own stock - this is very common.

I have a princess of hearts and the cut is STUNNING. It's crazy sparkly and very different from the smaller pin points of sparkle on a princess. It's really up to your fiance and what she prefers. I loved the cut corner look - as you see in my avatar. :)

jon_l_seitz

Rough_Rock

The first two are awesome. I purchased through GOG, and would not hesitate to do so again.

To throw another wrinkle on the raisin, What kind of setting is going into? I was looking at a POH through GOG and got steered away from it based upon the halo setting that I picked--too much contrast that would have distracted from the halo brilliance. If you have more of a solitaire setting, then the POH shape will stand out (in a good way)--if you have a halo setting, the hearts and arrows might look busy compared to the smaller pave diamonds in a halo.

If you want to split the baby (like I did), consider the Solasferas as another option. Really nice contrast patterns but not to the degree of a POH.

ariel144

Ideal_Rock

diamondseeker2006|1347452879|3266699 said:
Whoa! I was going to have a tough time voting between the first two because both are great stones, but I prefer the cut corners but the regular princess is larger than the PoH.

But I will have to say, getting the larger 1.74 H VS1 stone from JA would have to be my pick. The spread on these stones is just so much smaller than rounds, so going with the largest possible is a good idea. I had no idea JA had any stones like that. Excellent find, farmergal! (And do put it on hold if you are interested because lurkers are always watching!)

Ditto to Diamond Seeker...yes JA has these but not many...good find and nice size stone.

DylanAU

Rough_Rock

Thank you all for the re-assurance but I think I will play it safe and wait for the ASET images before I 'pull the trigger'.

webdiva your ring and diamond is stunning and the reason why I think the price vs. carat for the PoH is justifiable is due to the symmetrical sparkle which my GF will definitely love.

jon_l_seitz my GF is would be more likely to be a solitaire or channel setting kind of girl. I am getting the diamond only and I will go with her to a local jeweller so that she can create her dream ring.

GOG doesn't seem to have prices of the Solasferas displayed - how do they compare with the PoH, will I get much more 'carat' for the $?

two_little_birds

Brilliant_Rock

jstarfireb

Ideal_Rock

It all comes down to personal preference. Many people here prefer round optics over princess optics and would go for the POH (or the JA one, which is a great find). However, my personal preference is for princess cuts to look like princess cuts, not rounds. I believe the POH and other H&A square shapes look too much like a round - so why not just get a round if that's what you're looking for? I see the smaller flashes of pinfire and the square shape with sharp, defined corners as the hallmarks of a princess, and you lose both of those in a H&A square.

I want to restate that the above is just my own personal preference that I'm posting as a counter-example to those who prefer the H&A squares. I also wanted to give you food for thought - what defines a princess cut for you, and what aspects of the optics/aesthetic are you most attracted to? Bottom line: it's about what YOU prefer.

webdiva

Brilliant_Rock

jon_l_seitz|1347487661|3267083 said:
The first two are awesome. I purchased through GOG, and would not hesitate to do so again.

To throw another wrinkle on the raisin, What kind of setting is going into? I was looking at a POH through GOG and got steered away from it based upon the halo setting that I picked--too much contrast that would have distracted from the halo brilliance. If you have more of a solitaire setting, then the POH shape will stand out (in a good way)--if you have a halo setting, the hearts and arrows might look busy compared to the smaller pave diamonds in a halo.

If you want to split the baby (like I did), consider the Solasferas as another option. Really nice contrast patterns but not to the degree of a POH.

I would respectfully disagree having seen multiple cuts in halos and also having a POH in halo. I think the POH looks fantastic in any setting - especially ones that highlight the unique shape. Bezels are a great way to highlight the shape. If you go with the radiant from James Allen that was posted, they have a gorgeous simple bezel.
[URL='https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/my-new-reset-danhov-bezel-asscher-by-ja.152247/']https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/my-new-reset-danhov-bezel-asscher-by-ja.152247/[/URL]

two_little_birds

Brilliant_Rock

jstarfireb|1347497486|3267188 said:
It all comes down to personal preference. Many people here prefer round optics over princess optics and would go for the POH (or the JA one, which is a great find). However, my personal preference is for princess cuts to look like princess cuts, not rounds. I believe the POH and other H&A square shapes look too much like a round - so why not just get a round if that's what you're looking for? I see the smaller flashes of pinfire and the square shape with sharp, defined corners as the hallmarks of a princess, and you lose both of those in a H&A square.

I want to restate that the above is just my own personal preference that I'm posting as a counter-example to those who prefer the H&A squares. I also wanted to give you food for thought - what defines a princess cut for you, and what aspects of the optics/aesthetic are you most attracted to? Bottom line: it's about what YOU prefer.

Yup, I agree with jstarfireb... even when we were down to our final selection, other posters were trying to recommend POH stones, or similar. But I too prefer the trandition princess cut - always have, but again it's my own personal preference.

For such a large purchase, maybe you can involve your GF of the stone as well?

jon_l_seitz

Rough_Rock

GOG doesn't seem to have prices of the Solasferas displayed - how do they compare with the PoH, will I get much more 'carat' for the $?

Comparatively, you might get more carat for the money from what I can roughly tell from the prices on the POHs and some of the quotes I got on various Solasferas. In any event, I'd highly recommend calling and talking with Jonathan's staff. What's to loose, right?

I don't have anything against JA, but I really appreciated the peace of mind GOG gave me by putting together a comparison video. Check out their website and review some of the videos they have on POH, Solasferas, and their premium cut traditional princess.

jstarfireb

Ideal_Rock

Click on "reserve diamond" to see the price of the Solasfera once it's added to your cart. Then just dump it from your cart as soon as you write it down.

DylanAU

Rough_Rock

After a long wait, JA has sent me the ASET image and I think it looks great but after comparing it to the GOG PoH ASET images I'm not so sure... In the JA image the arrows are more of a black colour whereas in the GOG PoH images the arrows are blue. According to the JA 'interpretation guide' black is light leakage.

I'm concerned about this discrepancy and the idea of light leakage where the arrows are. what is everyones opinions on the ASEST image below?

1466062aset.jpg

two_little_birds

Brilliant_Rock

DylanAU|1347924800|3269923 said:
After a long wait, JA has sent me the ASET image and I think it looks great but after comparing it to the GOG PoH ASET images I'm not so sure... In the JA image the arrows are more of a black colour whereas in the GOG PoH images the arrows are blue. According to the JA 'interpretation guide' black is light leakage.

I'm concerned about this discrepancy and the idea of light leakage where the arrows are. what is everyones opinions on the ASEST image below?

1466062aset.jpg

Looks fantastic to me, but I'm no pro. LOTS of red though and that should make this baby sparkle! :D

DylanAU

Rough_Rock

two_little_birds said:
DylanAU|1347924800|3269923 said:

Looks fantastic to me, but I'm no pro. LOTS of red though and that should make this baby sparkle! :D

Yes, two_little_birds I agree that this baby will sparkle :bigsmile:
But since there is no contrast where the where the arrows are, they might not be visible in natural light due to the light leakage.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

You are misreading that image. It is a great ASET image. The part you are calling black is the same as the blue on the ones you see on the PoH. James Allen just doesn't always have the quality of photography that some of the other vendors have.

two_little_birds

Brilliant_Rock

diamondseeker2006|1347927601|3269963 said:
You are misreading that image. It is a great ASET image. The part you are calling black is the same as the blue on the ones you see on the PoH. James Allen just doesn't always have the quality of photography that some of the other vendors have.

DylanAU, I don't think you can go wrong with this stone - can't wait to see what you decide :read:

DylanAU

Rough_Rock

diamondseeker2006|1347927601|3269963 said:

Thanks for clearing this up diamondseeker!
This diamond is SOLD :appl:

Thank you all for the opinions and advice and a very BIG THANK YOU to farmer gal who found this in the first place!

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Congrats!!! :appl: (I adore and have bought diamonds from Good Old Gold and WhiteFlash, but this was just a great stone for you!)

farmer gal

Brilliant_Rock

Please come back with pictures :love:

two_little_birds

Brilliant_Rock

farmer gal|1347966981|3270132 said:
Please come back with pictures :love:

Yes, please come back... and congratulations! :appl:

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results