Strong blue (no issues per vendor)
57.2 table
34.7 crown angle
40.8 pavilion angle
43.0 pavilion depth

Paul-Antwerp

Ideal_Rock
Trade
The basic average figures you have given look promising, with regards to cut-quality.

I just wanted to ask your attention to the strong fluorescence. I would advise to only buy a strong fluorescent stone if the following applies:
- obviously, the fluorescence does not cause any visual detrimental effects. Given the rarity of the negative effect, this is just a small advise for caution.
- more importantly, a consumer should only buy a fluorescent diamond if he or she is a definite fluo-lover,
- also, only buy such stone from a vendor having a strong long-term buyback-policy.

Live long,

Texas Leaguer

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Paul-Antwerp|1422635008|3824470 said:
The basic average figures you have given look promising, with regards to cut-quality.

I just wanted to ask your attention to the strong fluorescence. I would advise to only buy a strong fluorescent stone if the following applies:
- obviously, the fluorescence does not cause any visual detrimental effects. Given the rarity of the negative effect, this is just a small advise for caution.
- more importantly, a consumer should only buy a fluorescent diamond if he or she is a definite fluo-lover,
- also, only buy such stone from a vendor having a strong long-term buyback-policy.

Live long,
I agree that careful consideration should be given to purchasing diamonds with strong fluorescence. There is, I believe, a misconception that this is essentially a cool and benign effect that is beneficial to lower color diamonds. While it definitely is a cool effect, it is far from benign in terms of resale value. (your last piece of advice is a recognition of this fact).

But I also believe there is a general sense that the transparency problem associated with strong fluoresce is a simple case of "yes or no". I think that view is too simplistic. In my experience it is more a matter of degree. I concur with most estimates that it is rare for strong fluoro to make a stone look obviously milky. But not as rare for it to have some effect that might not be entirely desirable.

The other factor that works against the notion that fluoro is an automatic benefit to aparent color (makes lower colors look whiter) is the fact that the presence of fluorescence may have resulted in the stone getting a favorable grade in the first place since modern color grading is done with lighting environments that do contain UV wavelengths. This is an issue that many experts in the trade have been aware of and concerned about in recent years.

I think the advice that consumers should know that they love this affect before purchasing is very good advice.

Ashley-Sarah

Rough_Rock
I thought fluro was only an issue if it caused the diamond to look milky or hazy which according to the vendor (Brian Gavin) is does not. I think I need to go take a look at a few more videos and make a decision. The price of the stone is 6000 and Denise said the diamond is eye clean. I am concerned about the strong blue fluoro and I appreciate you guys taking the time to post a reply. Thanks

Paul-Antwerp

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Ashley-Sarah,

Let me try to clarify. On a personal level, I am a definite fluo-lover. Thus, having direct access to whatever starting-stone I care for, for personal use, I would probably cut a fluorescent stone.

As a professional, having to sell a lot of diamonds yearly, I try to own as little as possible fluorescent stones, aiming to get to a zero-level. In that sense, a rough stone with fluorescence, or a polished stone offered to me for purchase and potential re-cut, has no value for me. I simply do not want it, whereas almost every non-fluo diamond has value for me, often relatively high.

The latter, you have to see as in-progress. In the last years, I see the global trade disliking fluo more and more, leading to an ever-growing spread in price on the wholesale-market between fluo and non-fluo. The fact that some major labs recently seem extremely lenient in their grading of fluorescence does not help. Medium used to be universally acceptable. However, today, many Medium-graded actually look Strong or Very Strong, so even the graded Faint seems to lose appeal and thus price.

Therefore my 2 advices:

- Only buy fluo if you are a definite fluo-lover. Do not consider it simply because it is cheaper and equal, because the underlying value is far from equal.
- For that latter reason, only buy fluo if you get a very solid buyback. Then, the problem of underlying value does not occur.

Live long,

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results