shape
carat
color
clarity

Opinions on two oval ASET images please

Andreawku

Rough_Rock
I would really appreciate your help reading these two ASET images for oval diamonds. I'm trying to evaluate which stone has the least light leakage and minimal bowtie. Purchasing a diamond online is a little scary, to say the least, so any advice would be greatly appreciated!gia-certified-5-33-carat-h-color-vs1-clarity-diamond.jpggia-certified-5-02-carat-h-color-si1-clarity-diamond.jpg

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Show us the images of the actual stones, too. The first one looks like it has less of a bow tie than the second and seems to be a better shape. Sadly, most ovals don't fare well in ASET images.

Andreawku

Rough_Rock
Here are the diamond images. I actually prefer an elongated stone because I have long slender fingers, but I want to make sure the stone is a good cut and has a lot of sparkle.

This is the stone with the black background in the ASET image:
gia-certified-5-33-carat-h-color-vs1-clarity-diamond1.jpg

This is the stone with a gray background in the ASET image:
gia-certified-5-02-carat-h-color-si1-clarity-diamond1.jpg

Andreawku

Rough_Rock
The people from the store said that the elongated oval (white background ASET image) actually showed less of a bowtie and had more brilliance. Now I'm really confused...

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Ovals usually aren't very brilliant compared to some other stones. That's why it is kind of hard. I will say that I don't love either of these and would keep them on the list while you look further (maybe just the second one since you like it's shape more). I obviously have no idea what size stones you are looking at, but here is an example of a stone with a better ASET. It has less white, which is leakage, and more specks of red sprinkled around the stone. It is going to be more sparkly than either of those.

http://www.goodoldgold.com/ecommerce/1-5ct-h-vs2-oval-diamond.html

If you tell me the size you after and what your budget is, maybe some people here can help you find some additional options. Good Old Gold is about the only one who provides the ASET on their site. James Allen will provide a maximum of three ASET images.

Andreawku

Rough_Rock
Thank you so much for your help. I'm looking for a 5+ carat, and I don't want to spend over $100,0000. As you can imagine, I'm wanting to make a smart decision when spending that amount of money. I was hesitant to even purchase such a stone online, but the prices have been so much better than our local jewelers. If anyone can suggest other diamonds, I'm open to other options.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Okay, well that does narrow down the selection. I am not sure what we can find pictures of online, but I will be happy to take a look. Is oval the only option? There are just diamonds that have better cut than most ovals.

Andreawku

Rough_Rock
I have always been attracted to the oval shape. My fingers are long and slender, so I feel ovals compliment my finger. Ovals are also less common, and I like something different than round. What other cuts do you recommend?

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Well, emerald cuts are quite beautiful in large sizes. There are also beautiful antique cushions that can also have an elongated shape.

I am going to link you one of my favorite sites to look at high quality diamond and gemstone jewelry, 1st Dibs, in case you haven't already looked there. I have it set to start with the highest price items and go down. The rings are mostly from reputable, high end jewelers and dealers. I didn't see any ovals that I liked around your budget range, but there are some magnificent rings represented. I look at them mostly to get setting design ideas, but I adore many of these rings and particularly would love an emerald cut as an extra diamond ring for myself! Antique stones are extremely popular now, and they have some beautiful ones. I'd say the majority of diamonds represented would be round, cushion, emerald cut, marquise, and radiant. There was a beautiful Tiffany oval ring, but it was above budget, although I am quite certain prices can be negotiated on most of these.

https://www.1stdibs.com/jewelry/rings/engagement-rings/?sort=price-high

In the meanwhile, I will look at loose diamonds to see if any have photos.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Okay, here are some oval possibilities. I set the search to start at 4 carats just to have some to compare. But there are a few that are close to or over 5cts that I think have promise. See what you think and link the ones you are interested in and I will comment and maybe others will as well. Color tends to show more in an oval because of having concentrated areas of small facets, so you can easily see which ones have noticeable tint.

http://www.jamesallen.com/loose-diamonds/oval-cut/?CaratFrom=3.95&CaratTo=15.00&Color=J,I,H,G,F,E,D&Clarity=SI1,VS2,VS1,VVS2,VVS1,IF&PriceFrom=200&PriceTo=136000&ViewsOptions=Images

Andreawku

Rough_Rock
I actually have browsed the 1st Dibs website before. I'm planning on getting a custom setting, and I've found a lot of great ideas on that website. Especially since I like the antique Edwardian style settings. I'll take another look around the site.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Ohh, I love antique Edwardian settings, too! In fact, I am trying to decide on a setting for the diamond in my avatar picture right now!

An antique oval would be absolutely fabulous if you could find one! They are very rare, though. Antique cushions would be easier to find. I have a friend from this forum who has a beautiful antique oval that I think maybe was originally in a Tiffany ring (so a well cut one) and it is in a gorgeous reproduction setting. I will attach the picture. Her stone is around 2.5-3 cts.

Second I will attach another friend's 5 ct antique style cushion which is newly cut for excellent light return. There are more pictures of her ring and other members' 5 ct+ rings on this link:

[URL='https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/the-5-carat-ring-thread.197859/']https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/the-5-carat-ring-thread.197859/[/URL]

_32004.jpg

_32005.jpg

ariel144

Ideal_Rock
Here is a pear on GOG with video:
http://www.goodoldgold.com/ecommerce/3-58ct-g-vs2-pear-shape-diamond.html

Good old Gold will call in stones and video for you along with ASET and other technology to
find the best performing stone for your budget.

Just a suggestion but you might call Adam at Old World diamonds and get him to find you an antique cut oval, marquis or pear.

The chunky antique faceted fancy shapes are rare but really lovely.

One of my absolute favorite rings on PS is an antique oval in an antique setting. The chunky faceting is awesome.
Can't recall who it belongs to but someone else will know and hopefully post for you. Ok Diamondseeker just posted it...LOL!

Also you might be able to find an elongated cushion. Many of the antique cushions ore more oval shaped.

Here are some options on JA...tried to find the best faceted with no bow tie:

http://www.jamesallen.com/loose-diamonds/cushion-cut/?CaratFrom=3.41&CaratTo=15.00&Color=K,J,I,H,G,F,E,D&PriceFrom=8290&PriceTo=999000&ViewsOptions=Images&TabSelected=3&DiamondID=552568,288643,491284,356931,35714,289495,350398,247042

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results