shape
carat
color
clarity

Opinions on this tennis bracelet?

jgny

Shiny_Rock
From a private seller - hard to get good pics. I'm attaching the best one I have.

appx 5 ctw, h color, si1. paperwork from their local jeweler.

Under $2k, i can get it appraised.

good deal? or meh?

Can't figure out cut quality. Won't be able to see it as I am not in the US. Can probably return (still working through it with the seller).

Anyone see any red flags in the pic? Shall I go for it?

Just wanted a little extra bling for the season, and thought this would fit the bill :)

jgny bracelet.jpg

Phoenix

Ideal_Rock
Premium
It's hard to see from the pic. Also, I assume that these stones are not certified (I think only stones of 0.30ct and above are, right?); so it's difficult to tell the colour and clarity, let alone cut. I can tell you that I once bought an uncertified H IF which turned out to be J VVS2 - Ouch!! :blackeye:

Can you see if you would absolutely be able to return it ?

LGK

Ideal_Rock
If it's brand new I'd suspect it's not great quality because the price is so low. If it's secondhand, you might be fine- in that case, the price isn't really an indication of what the quality might be. No way to know for sure without being able to see in person of course, but that is about right for that style secondhand IMO.

ETA, OK- you say it's a private party selling used? I think the price is OK, though if I were you I'd negotiate some and try to get a lower price. There was a very similar piece at the antique mall I work at that just sold the other day, I'd guess it was around that exact cttw with yellow 14K gold setting, for $1650. With absolutely no paperwork whatsoever, lol. I would guess it was G/H color, eyeclean. OK cut, not great.

jgny

Shiny_Rock
Thanks ladies. Seller says she purchased for over $4500 new. Not sure how long ago it was, will have to ask.

Nope, stones will not be certified.

I think I would be able to return it, but since this will be shipping internationally, I'll be out a couple hundred in shipping. Maybe I'll try and negotiate the best price I can.

LGK - OT, but I love your deco bracelet. I've been stalking eBay for one but nothing great has come up yet. :|

stci

Ideal_Rock
Phoenix|1301897140|2887238 said:
It's hard to see from the pic. Also, I assume that these stones are not certified (I think only stones of 0.30ct and above are, right?); so it's difficult to tell the colour and clarity, let alone cut. I can tell you that I once bought an uncertified H IF which turned out to be J VVS2 - Ouch!! :blackeye:

Can you see if you would absolutely be able to return it ?

Phoenix you make my day! If only I can SEE a diamond bracelet J VVS2 I will be the most happy girl in the world! :lol: :lol:

MichelleCarmen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Gauging quality based on price of used jewelry isn't a very good way of determining anything. I've sold some stuff at really low prices simply because I wanted to get rid of the stuff (like a pair of earrings on eBay I knew were bad quality and I didn't care that they sold for $75 - lol), but then sold one item for A LOT and was willing to sit on it b/c I wanted as much as I could.

FWIW, a few months back I tried on an 8-ct diamond tennis and it was about $4-5K "on sale." The regular price was $12K, but it seems like that place always has sales. The quality wasn't that great. IIRC, the stones were I1 (said on tag). It was hard to judge the cut b/c of store lighting, but can say that looking at it, I could tell that the stones were NOT H color. Much lower colors - which many like, but only when the cut makes the diamonds dazzle. I can say the size was VERY nice :)

*Personally* since you're not in the US and the seller is AND you don't have any paperwork, I wouldn't want to hassle with it. Sounds like a huge PITA. Do you know anything about the seller's reptuation? eBay seller? or what?

jgny

Shiny_Rock
Thanks all. I think I am going to pass on this unless I can get better quality pics to make a better judgment.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Another option is to have the seller send it to the appraiser of your choice in the US and see what they say about it. That way you can be more certain.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results