shape
carat
color
clarity

Opinions on these diamonds please.

Which one would you choose keeping price in mind?

• Diamond 1

Votes: 1 20.0%
  • Diamond 2

Votes: 4 80.0%
  • Diamond 3

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Any of them would be a good buy

• None

• Total voters

NotBadNotBrad

Rough_Rock
These are 3 diamonds that my local jeweler has for me. I believe they are all AGS certified with AGS Ideal 0 ratings. Diamond 2 also has GIA cert and triple EX. I've seen all three under some sort of red scope image and they are all perform great. I'm not sure if the SI1 ones are eye clean but they look like it to me. No visible black inclusions. My budget is only $5k max so I don't know what I would do for Diamond #1's setting. Probably a simple and cheap solitaire. The other ones would give me a little leeway with the ring design. And I could possibly save up another $300 in the next 3 months to add to the setting.

Lastly, these are all branded stones but I don't want to reveal which is which yet to avoid any potential brand bias. I also attempted to get pics but it's difficult to photograph so you'll have to go by the following specs for now.

Diamond 1:
Carat: 1.05
Color: G
Clarity: SI1
Dimensions: 6.53x6.56x4.04
Depth%: 61.7
Table: 56.0
Crown Angle: 34.3
Pavilion Angle: 41.0
HCA Score: 1.6 TIC
Light Return-EX Fire-VG Scintillation-VG Spread-VG
Price: $5000

Diamond 2:
Carat: 0.85
Color: I
Clarity: VVS1
Dimensions: 6.13x6.17x3.72
Depth%: 60.6
Table: 55
Crown Angle: 34.4
Pavilion Angle: 40.7
HCA Score: 0.8 TIC
Light Return-EX Fire-EX Scintillation-EX Spread-VG
Price: $3300

Diamond 3
Carat: 0.83
Color: I
Clarity: SI1
Dimensions: 6.04x6.06x3.72
Depth%: 61.5
Table: 56.8
Crown Angle: 34.8
Pavilion Angle: 40.9
HCA Score: 1.7 TIC
Light Return-EX Fire-VG Scintillation-VG Spread-VG
Price: $4000

Anything good or bad that stands out about any of these diamonds?

solgen

Brilliant_Rock
If money or value is the biggest concern then I'd opt for Diamond #2. Personally I might pick #1 solely because it's over than 1ct mark and also G in color. If they are all AGS Ideal 0 then it's hard to go wrong with any of them. I'd be interested to know what brands they are. Also are they all true Heart & arrows diamonds?

pfunk

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I'm curious as to why diamond 2 is so much cheaper than diamond 3 when it is bigger and several clarity grades higher, and they are both ags 0 and I color?

JDDN

Ideal_Rock
Premium
If diamond #1 is truly eye-clean, that's the one I would opt for. It's the largest, and because I like whiter diamonds, I like that it's a G color. Is your girl color sensitive? There will be a difference between an I and a G.

I ruled out #3 b/c the angles aren't as complimentary as the 1st two, although it certainly isn't bad. It's also an I with an SI1 clarity so, meh in my opinion.

Do you think there's a remote possibility that you'll ever up-grade in the future? If so, you can go for the smaller (#2) and save up for the up-grade, or if there's no chance of upgrading, then go for the largest. You can always re-set the stone in a different setting in the future. If you think there will ever be an upgrade in her/your future, please make sure the jeweler has a stellar upgrade or buy back policy.

Has she indicated what style of setting she'd like? Ie, if she wants something fancy with lots of melee or pave work, then I'd probably choose #2. If she is into a simple solitaire, then I'd go for #1.

Good luck!

NotBadNotBrad

Rough_Rock
Okay, here's the brand for each diamond which may help to explain the price differences.

Diamond #1- Lazare

Diamond #2- Infinity

Diamond #3- Whiteflash ACA

Will the diamond ever be upgraded- that's hard to say. I'm guessing it will not or at least since it will hold a lot of sentimental value it wouldn't probably be traded in. It might be reset into a pendant or perhaps a RHR. But I really can't say. She might want a 1.5-2.0ct down the road so it's possible a trade in might be needed.

As for the setting I had planned on a halo design with pave shank. My GF is iffy on the halo design though and feels it's a bit too common. I liked it because it would help give more finger coverage. I concede it is a cheapish way to improve finger coverage but some designs are still lovely. So it'll probably be a solitaire setting with a fancy basket.

JDDN

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Is Infinity, Crafted by Infinity?

Crafted by Infinity and WF have really nice upgrade/buy back policies. Not sure about Lazare.

Well, you have some very nice choices. If your GF isn't fond of halos, get what she would like best :)) .

Please post the finished ring when it's done and we always love a good hand shot too!

pfunk

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Is "Infinity" the signature line from DeBeers? I'm guessing it isn't Crafted by Infinity or it would be more in line with the ACA pricing.

I guess if you have the luxury of seeing all of these stones local in person you should be using your eyes more than anything else. They are all well cut with the AGS 0 pedigree and are all likely very beautiful. If your eyes prefer the extra size or higher color of number 1 enough to justify the higher cost, then go for it. Numbers 2 and 3 likely look similar and if your eyes can't see a difference there is no sense going with #3.

I personally prefer size and don't mind lower colors, so I would keep looking and see if you can get a 1 carat I color stone for somewhere in between on pricing. It all comes down to you weighing YOUR preferences and balancing your budget for the stone and the setting that is preferred. We can't do that for you, but all stones look to be well cut and should be beautiful.

NotBadNotBrad

Rough_Rock
Yes, it's Crafted by Infinity. It doesn't come with the AGS paperwork but has GIA paperwork. But it does have laser inscription and can be verified on AGS website.

I thought the trade up policies only work for original purchaser. Is that not correct? The WF stone does seem to have everything that originally came with it including ags report and a WF kit that contains loupe and device to hold the stone. Perhaps this full documentation is the reason for the increased price.

They do all look beautiful. The latter two were perfect and I mean symmetrically perfect hearts and arrows diamonds. I forgot if the Lazare was a true H&A diamond as I didn't look at the pavilion side. Are they typically true H&A?

JDDN

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Ah…I see you are buying these preloved. Okay, then I would think the trade up policies are for the original purchaser, but please reach out to both vendors to check. You never know!

This is what it says on the Lazare website. :confused:

“Hearts and arrows” is not determined by the cut of a diamond but rather refers to the precise shape and alignment of certain facet junctions, which is part of a diamond’s symmetry. A diamond that has the proportions of an “ideal cut” may or may not exhibit a “hearts and arrows” pattern; conversely, a diamond with a “hearts and arrows” pattern may or may not be cut to ideal proportions. The display of hearts and arrows depends solely on the symmetry of the diamond.
Every Lazare Diamond is ideal cut having the precise symmetry to form a hearts and arrows pattern.

solgen

Brilliant_Rock
So it appears that the Lazare is a true hearts and arrows diamond. That's weird because I could have sworn I had seen ones that weren't true H&A diamonds but these stones were cut in the late 1990s and early 2000s. I'd opt for it just because of the size and also I like the G color. If price is your main concern then go with Diamond #2.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results