shape
carat
color
clarity

Opinions on my three stone ring

dreamer_dachsie

Super_Ideal_Rock
I have a question about which OEC to set into my three stone ring. First some pics and background, then the question.

My newest OEC arrived today, a 0.70ct J VS1 with a GIA report (mentioned here: [URL='https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/what-do-you-make-of-these-oec-proportions.172829/']https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/what-do-you-make-of-these-oec-proportions.172829/[/URL])

It is gorgeous as I thought it would be :devil:

In fact, its funny, but it is the absolute TWIN of my 1ct OEC! Pictures will show it best. Similar crown height and table, similar faceting and body color. Twinnies!

The 1ct is really dirty, sorry! No time for cleaning it, I tried to sneak in the photos while my baby was amusing himself.

dreameroecs1.jpg

dreameroecs2.jpg

dreameroecs5.jpg

dreamer_dachsie

Super_Ideal_Rock
The 1ct OEC is 6.2mm and the .70ct one is 5.7mm. The three stone mount I have originally held a 6mm center. My jeweler -- who owns a laser welder and knows how to use it (a.k.a. can do anything) -- says either stone will fit in the setting.

I originally bought the mount to set the 1ct. Then thought I would miss the solitaire, and I planned to sell the 1ct one day to upgrade. This three-stone is supposed to be a family ring for my fifth anniversary. Diamonds and rubies for my husband's and my birth stones, three stones for my husband and two sons. So lovely! So I don't want to create it to one day take apart. So I found this .70ct for a steal ;)) thinking win-win, set it in the three stone and voila!

The .70ct looks really nice in the mount but is a weensy bit small! You can juuust see a gap between the center and sides. I don't know if its a deal breaker, its a little hard to tell with the stones just sitting in the mount. And of course, bigger is always better in Dreamer's world ;))

Question: Which OEC do I set in the mount? The 1ct or the .70ct?

I could also sell this mount and get another one that fits better. But I got this one pre-loved for a really good price, not sure a deal like that would appear again!

Thoughts?

Here are photos of the .70ct.

dreameroecs7.jpg

dreameroecs8.jpg

dreameroecs9.jpg

JuneRose

Brilliant_Rock
Wow those are both beautiful stones! I love the symbolism of the ring too :appl:

My engagement ring is a three stone but the setting isn't perfect and there are little gaps between the 3 stones and I can tell you it BUGS me so so much.... So my vote would be to set the 1ct!

yennyfire

Ideal_Rock
Trade
So to clarify, eventually, you're going to make a 5 stone ring with 3 oec's and the 2 rubies? Just wanting to follow along. :cheeky: If that's the case, I'd set the 1ct. stone now.

That 5.7mm is gorgeous! It really is a twin to the 1ct. It must be karma!

athenaworth

Ideal_Rock
Trade
I love this look, but I think I'd like the bigger stone in the 3-stone. Maybe your jeweler can put the .7 in the fishtail setting so you can still have a soltaire?

TravelingGal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Dreamer Dreamer Dreamer...I gotta love yer first world problems! :cheeky:

Beautiful new stone! OK, my two cents...

I think your ultimate prize is a larger old cut diamond. Therefore I would say, which one could you sell and make more profit? The .7 or the 1c? I am assuming it's the 1.

In that case, you can 1) either set the .7 or 2) keep looking on ebay for something that works in that three stone (which is gorgeous with the reds, btw!) You troll ebay/the net so much that I don't see why you wouldn't be able to continue to get deals. You can sell the .7 for some money in which case you'd have extra to find your a stone that would fit there, right?

Personally, I think that .7 looks lovely in that setting, but I am not really anal when it comes to my jewelry. Of course, if you have pics with the 1c in it, I am going to prefer the 1 c because I love beeeeg beeeeeeg stones! :rodent:

dreamer_dachsie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Dreamer_D|1331765676|3148772 said:
In fact, its funny, but it is the absolute TWIN of my 1ct OEC! Pictures will show it best. Similar crown height and table, similar faceting and body color. Twinnies!

Actually, now that I have them both set/sitting in their mounts next to each other and am walking around in different lighitng, they perform quite differently. The 1ct is more chunky and scintillates more, and the 0.70ct is a little more splintery and has lots of white light return. Would be nice to have it set and get a feel for its personality more before I spent the money and altered the three stone mount.

TravelingGal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Dreamer_D|1331767414|3148801 said:

Actually, now that I have them both set/sitting in their mounts next to each other and am walking around in different lighitng, they perform quite differently. The 1ct is more chunky and scintillates more, and the 0.70ct is a little more splintery and has lots of white light return. Would be nice to have it set and get a feel for its personality more before I spent the money and altered the three stone mount.

Dude, youse people are anal. Does it sparkle? Nuff said. :wink2: :tongue:

Enerchi

Super_Ideal_Rock
LOl - "First world problems" TG! :lol:

I thought your plan was a 3 stone, not a 5 stone as Yennyfire thought, but if it is a 5 stone as your final goal... and these two OEC's are twins... any chance the money tree in your back yard could afford: ruby/OEC/*new ruby centre stone*/OEC/ruby? Yeah - spending your money, so I hope that tree blooms soon!! Is that too crazy - you have the symbolism of the birthday stones, the 2 boys (which could also represent your 2 rubies) and then honkin' big bling in the middle?

I guess that rules out the existing setting then, doesn't it? Just a thought.

If I had to chose between which stone to go in the 3 stone setting as shown, I'd put the 1ct in there. I'm with ya - there is no such thing as TOO BIG in my world either!

You can always resell the .7 or you could set it in your existing solitaire, which would look stunning in there too.

(Kinda all over the place with that answer - sorry!) :loopy:

dreamer_dachsie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Here is a mock up for Tgal, giving an idea of the 6.2mm compared to a 5.7mm stone.

mockup.jpg

Enerchi

Super_Ideal_Rock
WEll that mock up is an easy call --- use the 6.2mm/1ct. No question! :Up_to_something:

LibbyLA

Brilliant_Rock
Dreamer_D,

Could you have the .7 set with a thin "collar" around it to make it look a little bigger and close the gap? My 3/4 ct. OEC has that head with a very thin round collar that isn't a bezel and even though it's thin and you almost can't see it, it makes the diamond look larger.

liz

dreamer_dachsie

Super_Ideal_Rock
yennyfire|1331766763|3148789 said:
So to clarify, eventually, you're going to make a 5 stone ring with 3 oec's and the 2 rubies? Just wanting to follow along. :cheeky: If that's the case, I'd set the 1ct. stone now.

That 5.7mm is gorgeous! It really is a twin to the 1ct. It must be karma!

THERE IS NO FIVE STONE!

Where did that come from? :tongue:

Family ring = three stone. Rubies and diamonds because they are my and hubbies birthstones. Big center = hubby, two little sides = da boys.

MissGotRocks

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Gah! All these stones and where to put them?!?!?!? Common sense to me would say to use the largest stone in the three stone mounting. However, that tears up the other solitaire setting and then what would you do with the .70 stone? Is it important to you to have a solitaire setting as well or will you care as much about it when the three stone ring is done? Bear in mind I'm not a several ering gal so I'd be putting forth my best and largest stone for the three stone IF that was going to be my primary ring. If I wanted to change them up every so often, I'd leave the one carat in a solitaire and put the .70 in the three stone. I think that even though the .70 is smaller, the proportions would still look OK. The only caveat to that is that sometimes stones look smaller when set - after they draw those prongs in and tighten them down. The only other option would be to wait for a larger OEC for the center and maybe resell the .70. I wouldn't look to purchase anymore of the .70-.75 range because I think you're still longing for a larger stone! These stones are beautiful and probably priced right but you're still not scratching the itch - if you know what I mean!

Digest all of this and tell me what you think - ha! Reads like a novel!

TravelingGal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Dreamer_D|1331767584|3148805 said:
Here is a mock up for Tgal, giving an idea of the 6.2mm compared to a 5.7mm stone.

Ooh yes, good mock up. I see what you mean now. Hm. Can you part with the .7 for a profit and continue to hunt for something to go in the three stone? I really think you want that 7+mm spread and won't stop until you get it, so you will need some ammo to sell to get there.

If not, I honestly think the .7 looks fine. And I love the diamond and ruby combo. I saw the aurora when you topped your other thread, so this will be a lovely, different look.

Come on girl, time to get over set-a-phobia and pull the trigger. ::)

TravelingGal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Um, but yeah...the 1c rocks it in that setting with the rubies. :lickout:

dreamer_dachsie

Super_Ideal_Rock
TravelingGal|1331767095|3148796 said:
I think your ultimate prize is a larger old cut diamond. Therefore I would say, which one could you sell and make more profit? The .7 or the 1c? I am assuming it's the 1.

As a percentage of full retail value, I have more "invested" in the 1ct because I had it set and got a lab report for it.

dreamer_dachsie

Super_Ideal_Rock
MissGotRocks|1331767800|3148813 said:
Gah! All these stones and where to put them?!?!?!? Common sense to me would say to use the largest stone in the three stone mounting. However, that tears up the other solitaire setting and then what would you do with the .70 stone? Is it important to you to have a solitaire setting as well or will you care as much about it when the three stone ring is done? Bear in mind I'm not a several ering gal so I'd be putting forth my best and largest stone for the three stone IF that was going to be my primary ring. If I wanted to change them up every so often, I'd leave the one carat in a solitaire and put the .70 in the three stone. I think that even though the .70 is smaller, the proportions would still look OK. The only caveat to that is that sometimes stones look smaller when set - after they draw those prongs in and tighten them down. The only other option would be to wait for a larger OEC for the center and maybe resell the .70. I wouldn't look to purchase anymore of the .70-.75 range because I think you're still longing for a larger stone! These stones are beautiful and probably priced right but you're still not scratching the itch - if you know what I mean!

Digest all of this and tell me what you think - ha! Reads like a novel!

This is primarily a RHR :)) I wear my Aurora as a WB all the time. My hands are different sizes, but I might sometimes wear the three stone as an e-ring.

I think my main hesitation about using the larger diamond is that I paid to set it in the solitaire and don't want to feel that money was wasted! Stupid.

Hubby said he likes the bigger center.

yennyfire

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Somehow I thought that the diamonds were for the boys and hubby and the two rubies were to signify both yours and hubby's birthstone. So that equals 5. :lol: However, I suck at math and obviously missed the point completely. Sorry for muddying the water. I was trying to read while my 5 year old whined in the background and it was rather distracting.

Rhea

Ideal_Rock
Premium
TravelingGal|1331767488|3148803 said:
Dreamer_D|1331767414|3148801 said:

Dude, youse people are anal. Does it sparkle? Nuff said. :wink2: :tongue:

This! Dreamer, you've been amazing in all your help and I've enjoying following your search, but you lose me when you start talking like this. You got to bring it down to us PSer's level. I just think "Ohhhh, prudy".

TravelingGal

Super_Ideal_Rock
If hubby likes the 1c, go with that. Honestly, it's lovely. And I don't think it's a waste that you set it in the temp setting...it was always going to be a temp, right? Does the 1c with the rubies in that setting make your heart go pitter pat? Since this ring is not one you are going to sell or trade up, I think it makes sense to make it as lovely as possible.

The larger diamond will come some day, and I am sure you will get a deal. Then wear it with your Aurora and proceed to blind everybody. :sun:

The question is then, what would you do with the .7?

dreamer_dachsie

Super_Ideal_Rock
TravelingGal|1331767835|3148814 said:
Dreamer_D|1331767584|3148805 said:

Ooh yes, good mock up. I see what you mean now. Hm. Can you part with the .7 for a profit and continue to hunt for something to go in the three stone? I really think you want that 7+mm spread and won't stop until you get it, so you will need some ammo to sell to get there.

If not, I honestly think the .7 looks fine. And I love the diamond and ruby combo. I saw the aurora when you topped your other thread, so this will be a lovely, different look.

Come on girl, time to get over set-a-phobia and pull the trigger. ::)

I could sell the .70ct and give some wonderful person a total deal and still make a little money :)) Or hoard it. Make a pendant. I dunno. Diamonds have many uses don't you know?

Set-a-phobia is totally what it is. I have never set any of my stones in a for real fancy setting! :errrr:

Rhea :lol: See that is the problem! "ooh purdy..." they are all oooh purdy! So which one do I put in the three stone :?:

I think I know what I will do :halo:

Rhea

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I agree with TG, as this isn't a ring you plan to change anytime soon, put the nicest stone you have it there. I think putting whichever stone you like less, for whatever reason, it in just won't scratch the family ring itch for you.

Enerchi

Super_Ideal_Rock
What are you thinking you are going to do DreamerD?

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Ohhhhh that is a seriously sweet stone :love: :love: :love: :love:

BUT I am sticking to my original vote - 6.2mm, no question!! At least until you're sure you miss the solitaire enough to tweak the setting...And you haven't found another secondary market solitaire-size steal :Up_to_something:

Hah, got Ss?

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
Bigger stone looks better from a ratio perspective IMO in that setting! Beautiful really.

I'd also sell the .7 for a profit ... I'm not as much a fan of the splintery OEC stones, if I wanted splintery, I'd wear my RB for a day. But it's pretty!

armywife13

Ideal_Rock
I think it would look great with the 1 ct center, and the new OEC in a pendant-one similar to athenaworth's :naughty:

On a side note, I remember you stating it in another thread, but I can't find it....who made the setting you had the 1 ct in? I loooove it.

MissGotRocks

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think I would definitely prefer the one carat in the three stone ring. The cert certainly won't go to waste and the mounting. . . well, you could maybe find a colored stone for it later on down the road. A match for the .70 could make some great earrings or you could resell it as well.

While nothing is forever sure in diamondland, I would want to be reasonably sure that the stones for the three stone ring are as close as possible to my ideal size. Otherwise, I wouldn't want to bear the expense of tearing up the first mounting and have the three stones set - kwim?

Farleysmom

Brilliant_Rock
As long as I've been on this forum, you've talked about wanting a 3-stone ring. I'd personally choose the 1 ct, both for it's size and performance. I think that once you had your killer 3-stone, you probably won't wear a solitaire much. After all, you had a beautiful, honking solitaire and it just didn't make your heart sing. (just my 2cents) :tongue:

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results