shape
carat
color
clarity

Opinions on IJK color

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

abradabra

Shiny_Rock
Hey all, I am de-lurking here to ask a quick question. I''m beginning to look at diamonds with the BF and have heard conflicting opinions about diamond color and settings (some say I diamonds and below should only be set in yellow gold and other say that I & J are still safe to set in platinum). Basically, how low is too low for a platinum or white gold setting (with a super-ideal cut)?

I know that this is a largely preferential issue, and I''ve seen some beautiful I''s and J''s set in platinum in the SMTR folder, but I''m trying to give my BF some general specs to operate with (since I won''t be shopping with him to see the diamonds myself) and hoping to not ask him to spend a fortune.

Thanks in advance for all your help!

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
You may want to consider that I and K are much further apart than D is from F. I do not think that online photos do a great job showing fine shades of color in faceted gems, but THIS collection of diamodns might just do the trick
2.gif
And THIS page does a greta demonstration of what that K color grade is all about. I hope the author doesn't mind being cited - the pictures are just great!

There are a few J color ideal rounds around here (easy to find on "show me the ring") and it doesn't sound lie J needs any excuses to look satisfactory as long as the stone is not huge and has top brilliance. I would be safe bet for most...

Anyway, GIA does a greta job standardizing these colors - actually, the difference between "colorless" and "near colorless" grades is meant to appear subtle (or at all) outside proper grading conditions and/or without training. Would it work for you to look at some GIA graded diamonds (preferably set stones) and decide what works for you? It may not be strightforward to find some branded H&A nearby to look at, but many found a trip to Tiffany or some otehr high end store relevant for this choice of color.
read.gif

msbennie

Shiny_Rock
Hi, fyi, attached is a copy of my Ideal Cut Hearts & Arrows "J" diamond. Cut makes the difference when you go up in color....

J Diamond.jpg

pqcollectibles

Ideal_Rock
Here's a link the thread about my ring:

https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/my-new-upgrade-diamond-ring.12180/

1.25 carat, J color diamond set in platinum.

Your own personal color choice will totally depend on your eye and the diamond. I traded in a 0.75 carat, H, to upgrade to this diamond. Some J's might look great to you while others don't. My diamond, and other people's as well, obviously do look great!
2.gif
9.gif
Some people are extremely color sensitive and don't care for anything below a G or H color. It's really going to depend on your personal preference and the diamond you select. If J or K works for you, you can really maximize your budget or get a bigger diamond!!
1.gif

moremoremore

Ideal_Rock
Hi! I agree with ana that photos aren't nec. the best judge of color...also, color gets distorted online...And as you say, everyone has their own color threshold...I think the trick will be for you to go see a lot of stones in A LOT of different lighting conditions...Also- let me ask you this- Is it ok with you to see some tint when looking through the side of the stone? Are you buying a round or fancy cut? Do you just care about face up? Are you putting it in a bezel setting? Just some things to think about! Congrats and Best of luck on your search!
1.gif

Diamondsbybree

Brilliant_Rock
My personal prferences are for the warmer colored stones. J-K's are lovely to me.

msbennie, you diamond is stunning.
lickout.gif

abradabra

Shiny_Rock
Thanks for all the pictures and advice; your diamonds are just gorgeous msbennie and PQ!

I am definitely looking at just a RB in a "Tiffany style" solitaire, or maybe the Royal Crown--it's so beautiful, and haven't found myself to be very color sensitive in the diamonds I've seen so far--I just wouldn't want it to look vaguely yellow (unintentionally).

I'm more concerned about size because I tried on a friend's 2.5+ carat princess recently that looked so great size-wise but our budget is more in the 1 carat RB range. Ergo, I'm trying to figure out how we can stretch it towards 1.25...

glitterata

Ideal_Rock
I have a K/L in an antique reproduction platinum setting. You can definitely tell it's yellower than my F, especially when they're next to each other. But I also think it's prettier, because of the cut (the K/L is a very nice old European cut, and the F is a leaky transition cut).

I had the K/L for years before I knew anything about diamonds & it never occurred to me that it wasn't colorless--but then, I didn't think about it much, and I didn't even know that diamonds came in different colors. Once I got the F and became more interested in diamonds, the tint in the K/L became obvious to me. But it's the difference between slightly ivory-colored writing paper or wall paint and bright white paper or paint, not the difference between a lemon and a snowball.

abradabra

Shiny_Rock
That was exactly the analogy I needed, glitterata. It makes what I thought I was (or realistically, was not) seeing make sense. Merci beaucoups.
appl.gif

Rank Amateur

Brilliant_Rock
From the side the color may be obvious in a J or K. How it looks to you is for you to decide. I would likely never buy a J or lower color.

You seem to be making an informed choice and that's what it's all about!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results