shape
carat
color
clarity

Opinions needed

AntiqueLover

Shiny_Rock
My original CADS looked great as far as the shape and proportions. Today they added the stone work. It looks good, but I have a concern. The original ring I'm going off of, has fewer/bigger melee in the 4 top arches, and small pave in the ribbon that wraps the side. But in the CAD, the arches were done in tiny stones as well. So I'm afraid if it's all done in the tiny pave, that when looking down on the ring, it won't give that halo effect like it's supposed to. Thoughts?

looking_down-3.png

through_finger-1.png

jamie_dempsey-1.png

side_view-1.png

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
AL,
I agree with your points. The devil is in the details and I did my best to help Charmy with her ring and in the end, we both gave up.

AntiqueLover

Shiny_Rock
One of the reasons I chose this setting besides loving it, is that the center is the same size as mine, so it'd be fitting proportion wise etc. But the enclosed pic is what he said when I mentioned the stones not being the right size in the arches. I mean overall it looks pretty. But it defeats the whole halo aspect that this design is supposed to have

screenshot_2015-01-16-15-21-35.png

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
It seems as though he isn't aware that your stone is the same size as the inspiration ring from the email. Is the inspiration ring cast or hand forged? I wonder if such a design is only possible with a hand forged ring because it allows for the delicacy without sacrificing strength.

AntiqueLover

Shiny_Rock
Chrono|1421439763|3817613 said:
AL,
I agree with your points. The devil is in the details and I did my best to help Charmy with her ring and in the end, we both gave up.
Oh, I'm not giving up lol. It CAN be done, because the original has a 1.25 center transitional which is exactly what mine is.

AntiqueLover

Shiny_Rock
I told him when I sent the original email asking if it could be done, I told him it was the same as mine. He just emailed me and may know how to change it

Texas Leaguer

Ideal_Rock
Trade
From the top cad renderings it seems to me that the halo effect will actually be enhanced more by having the larger stones in the ribbon that wraps the side. Especially if they could be angled just a hair more horizontally. (?)

That's a very nice design!

Mayk

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I never have any feedback because I don't have the eye for it the experts do.. but I sure do love the setting with the Sapphires.. that's really very pretty!

Texas Leaguer

Ideal_Rock
Trade
I like the sapphires in the design. It sets off the center piece, giving it a bit of a shadow box effect from top view. I would suggest using medium tone sapphires (not too dark) and diamond cut. I still think using larger mellee in the surrounding layer and angling them a bit more to the horizontal would be a worthwhile tweak. Just my opinion of course.

AntiqueLover

Shiny_Rock
Texas Leaguer|1421447987|3817721 said:
I like the sapphires in the design. It sets off the center piece, giving it a bit of a shadow box effect from top view. I would suggest using medium tone sapphires (not too dark) and diamond cut. I still think using larger mellee in the surrounding layer and angling them a bit more to the horizontal would be a worthwhile tweak. Just my opinion of course.
He said he was going to try 'turning up' the arches a bit. If that doesn't work, I guess the only other thing I can do is switch the sapphires to the outer curve instead.

AntiqueLover

Shiny_Rock
Like this color?

__4.jpeg

Texas Leaguer

Ideal_Rock
Trade
AntiqueLover|1421449306|3817737 said:
Like this color?
Yes, more like that. Dealers sometimes refer to that as "open color". Most commercially available sapphires are over-dark. Even if they look rich and intense in good lighting, they quickly go dark in most real life situations. It's basically royal blue with medium tone you are looking for. I would err on the side of light for this piece. Cutting is very important of course to get the level of brilliance that will blend nicely with the diamonds in the piece.

I recommend asking your jeweler to supply "diamond cut" royal blue (not navy blue) sapphires with good clarity.

AntiqueLover

Shiny_Rock
Texas Leaguer|1421450974|3817741 said:
T
Like this color?
Yes, more like that. Dealers sometimes refer to that as "open color". Most commercially available sapphires are over-dark. Even if they look rich and intense in good lighting, they quickly go dark in most real life situations. It's basically royal blue with medium tone you are looking for. I would err on the side of light for this piece. Cutting is very important of course to get the level of brilliance that will blend nicely with the diamonds in the piece.

I recommend asking your jeweler to supply "diamond cut" royal blue (not navy blue) sapphires with good clarity.
Thank you very much for your help. That band is from my vendor as well. Are those sapphires considered diamond cut?

AntiqueLover

Shiny_Rock
Do you think the arches would look better in blue or the side curves as someone else suggested?

Texas Leaguer

Ideal_Rock
Trade
AntiqueLover|1421451426|3817746 said:
Texas Leaguer|1421450974|3817741 said:
T
Like this color?

Thank you very much for your help. That band is from my vendor as well. Are those sapphires considered diamond cut?
A little hard to tell, but it looks like it. They look like high quality stones, the kind you would want.

The cad renditions of sapphires of course lack some realism, however that is in fact what commercial sapphires would look like in the piece- over dark and not much life.

Texas Leaguer

Ideal_Rock
Trade
AntiqueLover|1421451566|3817747 said:
Do you think the arches would look better in blue or the side curves as someone else suggested?
Its completely a matter of opinion and taste. I think I like the arches in blue. That little edge of blue from the top is exquisite. And again, I think the diamond halo effect you are after will be better accomplished by using slightly larger diamonds in the side curves.

Bear in mind that this part is all just one guy's opinion of aesthetics. There might be others that you are better off relying on for that kind of advice!

AntiqueLover

Shiny_Rock
He's going to try and make the ring taller and wider to fit larger stones and face them upwards a bit. I won't get new renderings til Mon or Tues :(

CharmyPoo

Ideal_Rock
I am sorry to say that the two rings don't look alike to me at all. It looks far more apart than the first ring.

I am sorry I am not of much up - the number of differences are so great to me that I have no energy. This happened to me (and Chrono and others tried really hard to help - it was done outside of PS so you won't find threads on it) .. rounds later ... still far far apart. Wasn't worth it to me to invest more time in it especially since it was just a RHR for me.

Do you have a larger photo of the original ring? I can superimpose in photoshop for you so you can see the difference.

Lookinagain

Ideal_Rock
Premium
CharmyPoo|1421523445|3818110 said:
I am sorry to say that the two rings don't look alike to me at all. It looks far more apart than the first ring.

I am sorry I am not of much up - the number of differences are so great to me that I have no energy. This happened to me (and Chrono and others tried really hard to help - it was done outside of PS so you won't find threads on it) .. rounds later ... still far far apart. Wasn't worth it to me to invest more time in it especially since it was just a RHR for me.

Do you have a larger photo of the original ring? I can superimpose in photoshop for you so you can see the difference.

OP, I am having a hard time seeing the details of the oginal ring with the size of the photo. I think a larger picture would benefit everyone and help us to give comments. I do like the addition of the sapphires. I think it adds alot to the ring. And I think turning the arches up so they are a bit more horizontal will help you get more of the halo effect.

I am in the minority, maybe it is my eyes, but I thought the CADS for your first ring were very close, maybe just needed a bit more tweaking with the outside curves. These look close to me as well, but these photos are harder to see than the photos you had for your first project. I think we all know that an "exact" duplicate is probably alot to ask for but you should be able to get very close. And I think some differences will be a bit less noticeable in real life. These photos are larger than what the actual ring will be so differences may be exaggerated.

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I just wanted to see what it would look like with the second detail sapphires instead of the first detail.

uploadfromtaptalk1421543313112.jpg

uploadfromtaptalk1421543328514.jpg

uploadfromtaptalk1421543344283.jpg

AntiqueLover

Shiny_Rock
I know there's differences, and they're doing a re design to try and correct it. I'm also doing away with the milgrain at the end of the arches. It's not supposed to be there. It's supposed to wrap under the 'basket'

Lookinagain

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Those larger photos of the original ring help alot. Yes, the milgrain needs to go. And I think the "ribbon" needs to dip down more.

AntiqueLover

Shiny_Rock
Lookinagain|1421550606|3818287 said:
Those larger photos of the original ring help alot. Yes, the milgrain needs to go. And I think the "ribbon" needs to dip down more.
The ribbon that goes from back and wrap around the sides? On my rendering it's pretty straight across the back. It should be curved up so slightly, to look like the arch ribbon is pulling it up as it wraps under the ring.

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I don't know if this has been mentioned, but the melee in the detail closest to the stone, the ones that are sapphires in your rendering from DZ, they are bigger than the melee in the horizontal band detail ...

As for the millgraining, it does appear that ring had millgrianing all over, originally, but its looks like its been worn off. Not that you need it, but if you had it it could be fine.

AntiqueLover

Shiny_Rock
Niel|1421551036|3818290 said:
I don't know if this has been mentioned, but the melee in the detail closest to the stone, the ones that are sapphires in your rendering from DZ, they are bigger than the melee in the horizontal band detail ...

As for the millgraining, it does appear that ring had millgrianing all over, originally, but its looks like its been worn off. Not that you need it, but if you had it it could be fine.
Yes, I mentioned to him that the melee in the arches were supposed to be bigger. He said there was no room to fit bigger stones. He said he has to make the ring wider and possibly taller to try and fit bigger stones. I know it can be done as the stone size is the same as mine. Yes, the milgrain is worn. I don't mind the milgrain, but it shouldn't be on the ends of the arches. In the original, the arches wrap under the back of the bottom of the ring. I should get the new renderings Mon/Tues

MollyMalone

Ideal_Rock
Premium
AntiqueLover|1421551860|3818296 said:
* * * I know it can be done because the stone size is the same as mine. * * *
Is your ring size the same as that of the vintage one; if your finger is larger or smaller, that will have a bearing on how closely any jeweler could replicate it.

Also, this original ring -- like the first one -- is a bit wonky, by current standards, in execution: there's some asymmetries, primarily because the melee stones in the same "lines" aren't as well matched in size and shape as what we expect nowadays. So adjusting for those idiosyncracies is going to mean that a contemporary version will not mirror exactly the original, no matter who were to undertake the project.

Not suggesting you should settle at this juncture, but your expectations of how quick and easy this project should be may be unrealistic.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results