shape
carat
color
clarity

Opinions Needed: Princess Cut 0.83 D VVS1

quinty70

Rough_Rock
Hi all,

Long time lurker, first time poster here.

A quick one for you all - I was in a jeweller today and came across a beautiful looking princess cut diamond already set in an engagement ring. After checking the cert (IGI) I am a little stumped as to whether it's a good stone or not.

Here's where I hope you experts can help!

The IGI certificate is F6E71527 with details from the IGI website below.

If any of you could give me your thoughts/opinions on this stone it would be so very much appreciated!

Thanking you all in advance....

Number F6E71527
Date ANTWERP May 8 2013
Description Natural Diamond
Shape And Cut Princess Cut
Weight 0.83 Carat
Measurements 5.22 x 4.98 x 3.71 mm
Clarity Grade VVS 1
Color Grade D
Fluorescence None
Finish
Polish And Symmetry Very Good
Proportions Very Good
Table Diameter 71%
Crown Height 12.5%
Pavilion Depth 58.5%
Girdle Thickness Slightly Thick
Culet Size Pointed

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Does the diamond still sparkle beautifully away from the jewellery lights which is able to even eke out some sparkle from the deadest diamond? Unfortunately, there is no cut grading assigned to princess cuts by any lab other than AGS (which does its own testing with an ASET). Therefore, I cannot tell you how well the stone reflects light back to the viewers' eyes by numbers alone and there is no mathematical formula to assist with this. A picture would be helpful but an ASET is best.

quinty70

Rough_Rock
Chrono|1412965412|3765507 said:
Does the diamond still sparkle beautifully away from the jewellery lights which is able to even eke out some sparkle from the deadest diamond? Unfortunately, there is no cut grading assigned to princess cuts by any lab other than AGS (which does its own testing with an ASET). Therefore, I cannot tell you how well the stone reflects light back to the viewers' eyes by numbers alone and there is no mathematical formula to assist with this. A picture would be helpful but an ASET is best.

Thanks so much for your comments Chrono - much appreciated!

You're right, the shop I was viewing it in earlier today had nice bright white spotlights shining down on the ring. It looked amazing under these lights, however like you mention, I should get another look at it under natural light.

For a novice diamond buyer without any 'tools of the trade' to inspect the diamond with, how would you suggest I best inspect the diamond? What exactly would be a good or bad indicator to look out for in a princess cut?

With this diamond, when she told me the price I couldn't believe that it was such good value, considering it being a D, VVS1... Immediately got me thinking "what's the catch!"

Any further help before I head back in there tomorrow would be amazing. Thanks again!

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
It's not a D VVS.

It's got an IGI lab report. That is not a reliable lab. It is likely much lower both in color and clarity.

IGI is a lab who trades at a deep discount.

Your stone would NOT be a GIA D VVS. Likely several color grades lower.

Stick to GIA or AGS only. They are the only reliable labs.
You don't need VVS. Especially with Princess cuts. They hide inclusions very well you should be fine with a nice SI1 clarity.

And you will be fine with G color as well.

IGI is not a good value.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Gypsy,
I read fairly recently from one of Neil Betty's (I think) post that he think that PSers are too harsh on IGI Antwerp, in that their grading is fair. I can't pull up anything at the moment as I'm not using my laptop, but would like to do more digging into this.

ETA
Did some digging and it looks like I remembered incorrectly. It's still an interesting read though. My iPhone will not paste the link correctly but a search with the keywords IGI Antwerp and Neil Betty brings it up easily.

JulieN

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
You can't tell if its a good stone or not based on an IGI report. If you can take a good picture for us we may be able to help.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results