shape
carat
color
clarity

Opinion Wanted: Brilliant Cushion vs. Square Hearts and Arrows

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

troywood

Rough_Rock
Hi all! I just finished watching some GOG videos and was impressed by how the Square Hearts and Arrows matched up against the Brilliant Cushion. I heard that there is premium price attached to the Square H&A-- do you think it''s worth it? Any idea on the avg. % difference?

THANKS~!
35.gif

neatfreak

Super_Ideal_Rock
I think more than anything it''s a shape preference. Both can be beautiful stones with great light return (if the cushion is a nice one!). I am sure there is a bit of a sparkle advantage to the square H&A, but I personally would buy based on the shape preference of the intended owner. Only you can decide if it''s worth the premium.

strmrdr

Super_Ideal_Rock
personal preference.
GOG can tell you the price difference as it will vary.

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 11/17/2008 12:16:26 AM
Author: strmrdr
personal preference.
GOG can tell you the price difference as it will vary.
Ditto Neat and Storm.

Rhino

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Date: 11/16/2008 11:16:05 PM
Author: neatfreak
I think more than anything it''s a shape preference. Both can be beautiful stones with great light return (if the cushion is a nice one!). I am sure there is a bit of a sparkle advantage to the square H&A, but I personally would buy based on the shape preference of the intended owner. Only you can decide if it''s worth the premium.
That''s the key right there neat. Perhaps I''m too particular but I''m not thrilled with the grand majority of standard cushion brilliants out there. We just called in a batch with seemingly ideal total depths and tables (mid 60''s in depth with 50''s tables) only to get in a bunch of duds.
40.gif
Best bet troywood, find what you think is the brightest/most fiery cushion and then simply compare. Your eyes wont lie.
1.gif

All the best,

neatfreak

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 11/17/2008 11:43:01 AM
Author: Rhino
Date: 11/16/2008 11:16:05 PM

Author: neatfreak

That''s the key right there neat. Perhaps I''m too particular but I''m not thrilled with the grand majority of standard cushion brilliants out there. We just called in a batch with seemingly ideal total depths and tables (mid 60''s in depth with 50''s tables) only to get in a bunch of duds.
40.gif
Best bet troywood, find what you think is the brightest/most fiery cushion and then simply compare. Your eyes wont lie.
1.gif

All the best,

There sure are a lot ugly cushions that is for sure Rhino!

dragonfly411

Ideal_Rock
Rhino - is there an ideal depth and table range defined by the grading companies for cushions?

Rhino

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Date: 11/17/2008 12:13:36 PM
Author: dragonfly411
Rhino - is there an ideal depth and table range defined by the grading companies for cushions?
Nope. This is one thing that makes finding those with the highest light performance extremely difficult from the standard lab Reports. In general and in lots of shapes, starting off with a table that is smaller than total depth is a good first step but no guarantee. In fact the majority of cushions I''ve seen lately with that "good first start" have been mediocre at best. The one thing that is great about the Square Hearts & Arrows cushion is consistency. I don''t have to call in 10 to find 1 I woiuld back with our lifetime policies. Their light performance is predictable and consistent. A rarity in the world of cushions today.

Perhaps once a lab does start grading this shape for light performance we''ll see more of them although I''m not holding my breath. When AGS released a cut grade for princess cuts the majority of cutting facilities chose not to climb on board.

All the best,

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
It''s definitely a personal preference but if there''s a great looking cushion, I''d pick it over the square H&A for several reasons:
1. Premium for the Square H&A
2. The Square H&A stones are deeper (in the 70s depth) so they are smaller in size
3. I like the larger chunkier faceting in regular cushions (I like that style of cushions)

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results