shape
carat
color
clarity

Opinion please on diamond...feather trouble?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

mandas

Rough_Rock
Hi again,

After trying on some J diamonds with white gold at my local B&M, I have found that I am color sensitive. I saw the yellow right away and it bothered me. So, the J that I had selected for my center stone in a 3 stone anniversary ring will not do. I looked again and came up with this 1.01 F/SI2. I am concerned about what appears to be long feathers in the GIA report. Can anyone look at it for me and give an opinion?

Here is the link: www.jamesallen.com/diamonds/F-SI2-Ideal-Cut-Round-Diamond-1124220.asp?b=16&a=12&c=77&cid=131ld

Thanks again. I would be lost without this forum and it''s group of helpful people!

Amanda

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Hi Amanda, really, it would be best to just call JA and speak with Jim about the stone. We would be guessing as to whether it would be a problem or not. But he can eyeball it for you and let you know.
28.gif

Also, I was wondering if you were looking at really well cut stones? I only ask this, as not so well cut will show more color than a really well cut stone will. But it could also be you are just sensitive. Thought I''d throw that out there though as a heads up.

mandas

Rough_Rock
Thank you. I will have JA look at the stone carefully. This is so new to me since it''s been over 10yrs since I have diamond shopped. Do most people have the stone sent to them before setting and then pay to send it back?

The stones that I looked at were EGL''s (Israel) and the sales person said they were excellent cuts. I was even seeing a bit of color in I''s and that''s what got me worried.

Amanda

Cleo

Brilliant_Rock
Hello Amanda :)

I would say the best thing to do is to call James Allen and ask them to confirm whether or not the diamond is eye-clean.

It does seem to be priced quite low, so it is certainly worth checking. I''m sure the more experienced PSers will tell you if an inclusion of this nature is likely to affect the fragility of the diamond or not.

What sort of budget are you looking at? If you need assistance looking for alternatives I''d be happy to help

BTW, I just have to show you this stone, only because it has the cutest inclusion I have ever seen in a diamond... it''s heart shaped! :)

x x x

Cleo

Brilliant_Rock
Posted at the same time as Ellen! :)

The colour I is where many people will start detecting a tint within a diamond.

As Ellen said, if a diamond is really well cut it will help to hide any trace of colour and make the stone seem much whiter.

EGL may possibly not be quiiiiiiite as strict at grading colour as GIA or AGS - who might have given those 'I' stones a lower colour grade.. so that might be worth bearing in mind.

I'd have a look at some really well cut stones in G and H colours and see how you feel about those.

x

mandas

Rough_Rock
Thanks for the help. Here is the J that I was holding for reference (not that you can see the yellow on line if it''s even there)

http://www.jamesallen.com/diamond.asp?find=1&cid=130&item=1111994

Our budget is between $5-$6 for the ring with the center diamond and two .4-.5 sapphires. That''s why I was looking at the J since it seemed to give me the largest center stone for the money. I will gladly take any and all help in my search!!!

Amanda

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
EGL Israel is definitely not as strict as GIA and AGS. You were probably looking at the equivalent of a K or L.

Is there some place near you that carries Hearts on Fire? and/or AGS0 graded stones? If you could get a look at those, you'd get a much better picture of just how tolerant you are or aren't of color. I'd really try to do that first, becuase you might find you could go down some, which will help pricing.

mandas

Rough_Rock
Thanks Ellen. I tried a second store yesterday, but the store didn''t carry anything in J. They said that J''s were too yellow so they don''t even stock them!!! Am I getting some sort of B&M run around? Has anyone else gone crazy trying to choose a stone and setting because I am nearing that point!!!

Thanks again,
Amanda

Allison D.

Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/18/2008 11:35:28 AM
Author: Ellen
EGL Israel is definitely not as strict as GIA and AGS. You were probably looking at the equivalent of a K or L.

Is there some place near you that carries Hearts on Fire? and/or AGS0 graded stones? If you could get a look at those, you''d get a much better picture of just how tolerant you are or aren''t of color. I''d really try to do that first, becuase you might find you could go down some, which will help pricing.
I very much agree with this.....in order to know how sensitive you are to color, you need to be looking at really well cut stones.

Lesser cut stones are typically cut deeper (which amplifies body color); they also tend to be graded by more lenient labs which are also softer on color grading.

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/18/2008 11:40:09 AM
Author: mandas
Thanks Ellen. I tried a second store yesterday, but the store didn''t carry anything in J. They said that J''s were too yellow so they don''t even stock them!!! Am I getting some sort of B&M run around? Has anyone else gone crazy trying to choose a stone and setting because I am nearing that point!!!

Thanks again,
Amanda
lol Yes. You would be appalled to hear the baloney some B&M''s will tell you. I''ve been in many where I knew way more than the salesperson. It''s not uncommon.

A well cut J is NOT yellow. Maybe a little creamy, warm, etc, but not yellow. If you can''t find anything in your area to look at, what you could do is pick out an I or J well cut stone online and have them send it to you so you can see for yourself. Just a thought.

And hang in there, it can be frustrating, but worth it in the end.
2.gif

mandas

Rough_Rock
Well, I spoke with JA and since I was seeing yellow in the I and J EGL''s it would probably be best to go with the F that I found. My only concern now is the Ideal Scope I was just sent. It doesn''t look as dark as the one I was sent for the J...how I wish this was an easier process. Here is the F:

1124220 - Idealscope.JPG

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results