shape
carat
color
clarity

Opinion on this rock?

Rivergreen

Rough_Rock
Hi All,

I'm about to pull the trigger and purchase this diamond from Blue Nile. Just wanted to get some thoughts before I take the leap!

I have contacted Blue Nile to request them to get the supplier to confirm whether it is eye clean and they have indicated that it is.

I also use HCA and it got a score of less than <1. Not sure what else I can do to check since blue nile doesn't provide images!

http://www.bluenile.com/au/diamond-details/LD05090741?keyword_search_value=LD05090741

RockyRacoon

Brilliant_Rock
Tough for anyone to give you any real feedback on this stone, as BN does not provide any of the light performance analysis you need to assess the stone's cut.

You may be better off sticking to a vendor that can vet stones for you, and can provide you with the necessary data to make an informed decision.

If you are not hung up about a '1ct milestone' you can get a well-cut stone within your budget, that will be VERY close in size (diameter is what you want to look at) to the BN stone you had linked

Check out these options:

.91ct, I, VS2 (better clarity than BN stone)
http://www.whiteflash.com/loose-diamonds/round-cut-loose-diamond-3114501.htm

.90ct, I, SI1 (less expensive than the BN stone)
http://www.goodoldgold.com/diamond/12818/

.894ct, G, VS1
http://www.briangavindiamonds.com/diamonds/diamond-details/0.894-g-vs1-round-diamond-5185-bl-104074992007

Rivergreen

Rough_Rock
Hi,

Thanks for the response!

I should note that I am based in Australia and BN lists in AUD so it ends up not as pricey as WF, due to conversion AUD to USD + GS-Tax component 10% . There is also a halo setting on BN that I'm keen on. Just unsure what to do. I'm aiming to keep it at $8k.

RockyRacoon

Brilliant_Rock
Rivergreen|1416351896|3785999 said:
Hi,

Thanks for the response!

I should note that I am based in Australia and BN lists in AUD so it ends up not as pricey as WF, due to conversion AUD to USD + GS-Tax component 10% . There is also a halo setting on BN that I'm keen on. Just unsure what to do. I'm aiming to keep it at $8k.

Take a look at the GOG stone. Even with conversion + 10% VAT, it should be about the same price as the BN stone (but will be a guaranteed performer).

Another thing to consider is the BN settings. There have been mixed reactions on these. Some have definitely been subpar.

Since you're ordering from Australia, the BN option means you're buying blind and will have to deal with all of the shipping/VAT/insurance if it turns out to be a dud.

It might be better to go with a vendor that can provide you multiple images, and provide multiple setting options (which GOG can do). That way, you'll know exactly what you're getting every step of the way.

In addition, you'll have a much better situation with GOG if you decide to go bigger in the future.

Best of luck!

Diamondbug

Brilliant_Rock
Do you have a good return policy there? Is BN local in Australia or do you still have to pay VAT etc? If its local, you can get an Ideal scope and get the diamond in and check it out yourself. The numbers look good and it should be a good performer but with nothing to go by but just numbers on the GIA cert, we are just making our best guess. With an IS and having it in person, you can decide if you love it or not.... and you can also post photos and is image so we can decide with you whether it is a yay or nay :D

Rivergreen

Rough_Rock
Okay thanks for the help.

Does anyone know what the comment "A patch of color is not shown" means? I saw it on the GIA report and wasnt sure

tweeter8177

Brilliant_Rock
This is the first time I have seen that GIA cert comment. I googled GIA Certification A Patch of Color is Not Shown and I read the first thing that came up. It essentially said that the comment is a rare occurrence and should make you suspicious in a diamond with lower (SI) clarity. I personally would pass just based on that, but I hope someone more knowledgable can jump in with more information on this comment.

TitanCi

Brilliant_Rock
Did you know....bn has a virtual inventory that many other vendors have access to and can call in to have imagery done? At least this is how it was 2 years ago, can't imagine it being different now. Good luck

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results